Community Mods and Plugins Library

Gaarst

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why is it in the dev library?  It is an active mod, and has an active developer, who was last online last week.

I've contacted @Booots to see if he is continuing this.

The link he posted @linuxgurugamer is in dev pages not the release pages.  Thats why I asked.  I didn't know this was in the release pages.

@DoctorDavinci

Are your concerns about this thread or the mods development thread? Camera Tools is not yet on this list: it's ready to be added, I just need to get some time to review and add all the new mods Carnage is giving me. If nothing catches fire in my house, I should be able to push the update tonight.

BDAc is shown in this list as updated for 1.2.2 and the link links to the BDAc release thread. I am not sure what is the issue here.

34 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

The link he posted @linuxgurugamer is in dev pages not the release pages.  Thats why I asked.  I didn't know this was in the release pages.

Ah. Ok, no problem.  Just trying to be helpful.

Anyway, still waiting to hear from @Booots about the mod

47 minutes ago, CarnageINC said:

As far as what @linuxgurugamer has quoted, I did not know that.  I've quite burned out after going through every single thread in both the dev and release pages, I can not keep track of everything. 

This has been an amazing job, one which I couldn't have done.

It's not perfect.  Nothing is.  Rudeness from anyone is not called for, but helpful suggestions are always welcome. 

Okay, it this mod doesn't appear to have been actually released into the "Released Pages".  I've noticed about a dozen or so mods that reside in the Dev pages that fall into this category, I have notes on which ones they are.  At a later date I'll notify @Gaarst if any of mods are not already listed the community library.  I think its safe to say this one should be added to the Community Library.

30 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

@DoctorDavinci

Are your concerns about this thread or the mods development thread? Camera Tools is not yet on this list: it's ready to be added, I just need to get some time to review and add all the new mods Carnage is giving me. If nothing catches fire in my house, I should be able to push the update tonight.

BDAc is shown in this list as updated for 1.2.2 and the link links to the BDAc release thread. I am not sure what is the issue here.

So I posted into the wrong list thread which is my bad. As for being rude, that was not my intention (I have a habit of reverting to Corporate Communications as a result of my previous employment history)

With that being said, on March 20th there was a discussion between myself and @CarnageINC, both public and private, where I assumed we had come to a concensus afterward concerning the BDAc team and the mods being maintained by said team ... however this is apparently not the case as the corrections have not been made as discussed, instead the list was updated according to assumption even when clarification was provided

Spoiler

These lists are a great idea and will help the community immensely, I applaud your efforts. Thing is if someone is actively developing and releasing a mod, said mod should not be listed on the addon development list as it implies that said mod is not officially released

5 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So I posted into the wrong list thread which is my bad. As for being rude, that was not my intention (I have a habit of reverting to Corporate Communications as a result of my previous employment history)

With that being said, on March 20th there was a discussion between myself and @CarnageINC, both public and private, where I assumed we had come to a concensus afterward concerning the BDAc team and the mods being maintained by said team ... however this is apparently not the case as the corrections have not been made as discussed, instead the list was updated according to assumption even when clarification was provided

Hide contents

These lists are a great idea and will help the community immensely, I applaud your efforts. Thing is if someone is actively developing and releasing a mod, said mod should not be listed on the addon development list as it implies that said mod is not officially released

In the process of handling literally a 1000 mods, I had forgotten your update of the camera tools mods from 2 weeks ago.  Since at the time I did not have camera tools compiled on my list, it was forgotten about.  I will fix the problem of your mod being located within the Add-on Development Library.

As far as your comment on authors actively developing and releasing mods and their mistakenly being on the wrong list.  That comes down to volunteers such as myself and @Gaarst spending our free time to browse, catch and update the library if no one notifies us of their changing status.  I'm sorry if your unable to look beyond a thread title, that little section located under mod tools is my attempt to help people find a nice concise location for mods and tools to help them do video and streaming.

I can see where some of the confusion and maybe some of your frustration is coming from @DoctorDavinci.  Your BD Armory mod was mistakenly marked in blue when I started the dev library, indicating that its under development.  I just noticed that its located in the release pages.  That will be fixed ASAP.

Edited by CarnageINC

On 2/3/2017 at 5:24 PM, Gaarst said:

[1.2.x] ESLD Jump Beacons Revived, by Booots - The ESLD Beacon network will get your Kerbals from point A to points B through Z in no time at all, presuming you've positioned and fueled them.

@Gaarst

Please note, this mod is not in development, it's in a maintenance mode.  @Booots did respond to my message.

Can you get it updated to reflect this?

Thanks

Hey folks, just noticed the discussion about ESLD. I guess it should be included in the released mods. It's functional as it stands now, and I am continuing to maintain it but I never got around to creating a thread in the Addon Release section because I'm never sure if it's meeting the original creator's vision of what it would be.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:24 PM, Gaarst said:
  • [1.2.2] ReCoupler, by Booots - This mod 'welds' multi-point attachment nodes into a solid piece to prevent parts from moving or colliding under high G loading.

While I'm here... I might suggest changing the description for ReCoupler because it doesn't exactly 'weld' any parts or make them a solid piece (the description makes it sound like UbioZur welding). Even I still struggle to give it a tagline without using made-up words like monocouple. Maybe something like "This mod allows the construction of circular structures and the recombining of multi-coupled stacks by properly handling parts with multiple (or multi-point) attachment nodes." or "... by allowing parts to have multiple 'parents'."

EDIT: I also might suggest moving it to the VAB/SPH category since that's where its magic happens. Your call, though.

Thanks for including my things on your list. They make me feel like a real, grown-up modder! :P

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Booots

44 minutes ago, Booots said:

Hey folks, just noticed the discussion about ESLD. I guess it should be included in the released mods. It's functional as it stands now, and I am continuing to maintain it but I never got around to creating a thread in the Addon Release section because I'm never sure if it's meeting the original creator's vision of what it would be.

While I'm here... I might suggest changing the description for ReCoupler because it doesn't exactly 'weld' any parts or make them a solid piece (the description makes it sound like UbioZur welding). Even I still struggle to give it a tagline without using made-up words like monocouple. Maybe something like "This mod allows the construction of circular structures and the recombining of multi-coupled stacks by properly handling parts with multiple (or multi-point) attachment nodes." or "... by allowing parts to have multiple 'parents'."

EDIT: I also might suggest moving it to the VAB/SPH category since that's where its magic happens. Your call, though.

Thanks for including my things on your list. They make me feel like a real, grown-up modder! :P

For ESLD, we can make the version green to signify its 'released'.  Maybe you can ask a moderator to relocate the thread to the release section also?  Your call on that.

We can change the description for ReCoupler to better say what you want it too.  We try to limit it length so how about I use what you said but slightly change it.

[1.2.2] ReCoupler, by Booots - This mod allows the construction of circular structures and the recombining of multi-coupled stacks by allowing parts to have multiple 'parents'.

For more details they can read your page.  As far as placement, I always thought of it as a game changing mod.  But its no problem to relocate it up to the VAB/SPH area since it has no actual function outside of the editor.  And congrats on feeling like a grown-up modder! :cool:

Will these changes work for you @Booots?

1 hour ago, CarnageINC said:

or more details they can read your page.  As far as placement, I always thought of it as a game changing mod.  But its no problem to relocate it up to the VAB/SPH area since it has no actual function outside of the editor.  And congrats on feeling like a grown-up modder! :cool:

and that makes me feel old :D

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Gaarst

Please note, this mod is not in development, it's in a maintenance mode.  @Booots did respond to my message.

Can you get it updated to reflect this?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Booots said:

If a release is available, I'll change it to green. Give me a few minutes and it's done..

I'll move the mod to the VAB/SPH category. For the description, what do you feel about @CarnageINC's description two posts above? I'll change it to this now, but if you want something else I can change it again, it's not a problem.

EDIT: and all done!

Edited by Gaarst

Status update for both libraries, Gaarst and I have worked out a clear cut plan to get the libraries a bit more organized.  Stay tuned for an update that will include almost every mod that is currently accessible (downloads and coding).  Later an, 20-50 more older mods lost with the Kerbal Stuff closing will be brought back 'online' so others may download or update those mods if they so wish.

Since it looks like things are settling in, it might be a good time to discuss how you want to handle the transition to 1.3 -- its good to at least have some thoughts toward planning it, before you get your process completely set-in.  Possibly changes now could make things in the future easier for you.  From what I can tell it will not be a massive change for most mods, but a lot of people will be holding on to 1.2.2 for a while until most of their favorite mods are transitioned to the new version -- ad bugs are hammered out (1.3.0.1?).  Will this list be put into "maintenance", and a new 1.3 started, or will this one be continued forward with 1.3 updates replacing 1.2.2?  In the latter case, what about backward compatibility/incompatibility, since 1.3 may break 1.2.2 apps because of changes to strings?

From a user's standpoint, I know I would prefer a mod list for the "mature" 1.2.2 release be maintained separated from the "latest" 1.3 list.  This is simply because I run a lot of mods, and will not go forward with 1.3 until all my "important" mods have updated and debugged - mainly so I don't have to yet again start career over. No knock on 1.3, but as far as I can tell from my impressions of 1.3 as announced, there aren't any huge reasons to move to it quickly.  Being a native English speaker, the language/translation addons don't add much for me, and the scenario things are nice but not an immediate "must have".  So I suspect many like me will be on 1.2.2 for quite a while. However, I will be buying 1.3 when it releases, but I will maintain it as a separate install just to try it out, since I know eventually I'll want to move to but I will not be mudding it until I'm ready to move my career game over.

9 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Since it looks like things are settling in, it might be a good time to discuss how you want to handle the transition to 1.3 -- its good to at least have some thoughts toward planning it, before you get your process completely set-in.  Possibly changes now could make things in the future easier for you.  From what I can tell it will not be a massive change for most mods, but a lot of people will be holding on to 1.2.2 for a while until most of their favorite mods are transitioned to the new version -- ad bugs are hammered out (1.3.0.1?).  Will this list be put into "maintenance", and a new 1.3 started, or will this one be continued forward with 1.3 updates replacing 1.2.2?  In the latter case, what about backward compatibility/incompatibility, since 1.3 may break 1.2.2 apps because of changes to strings?

From a user's standpoint, I know I would prefer a mod list for the "mature" 1.2.2 release be maintained separated from the "latest" 1.3 list.  This is simply because I run a lot of mods, and will not go forward with 1.3 until all my "important" mods have updated and debugged - mainly so I don't have to yet again start career over. No knock on 1.3, but as far as I can tell from my impressions of 1.3 as announced, there aren't any huge reasons to move to it quickly.  Being a native English speaker, the language/translation addons don't add much for me, and the scenario things are nice but not an immediate "must have".  So I suspect many like me will be on 1.2.2 for quite a while. However, I will be buying 1.3 when it releases, but I will maintain it as a separate install just to try it out, since I know eventually I'll want to move to but I will not be mudding it until I'm ready to move my career game over.

My initial thoughts on this is to keep only 1 library in each area, the Dev and the Release.  I don't want the pains of temp or another thread for 1.3 mods, so my feeling out having a thread in "maintenance" is out.  Honestly with the amount of mods we have now and a bunch more coming in, its probably easiest for us to use the current listings and update it as we go.  The biggest thing we will probably have to do is modify the version coloring to keep posted at a quick glance on what works and what doesn't.  Majority of the links will most likely lead to the updated thread so that is one less thing to have to input.

Most of the 1.2.x mods may work, I hope so anyways.  So it comes down to a wait and see how everything behaves with each other.  Of course I'm only speaking my thoughts on your question, Gaarst may want to try something else or have a different take on things and I'm open ideas, so long as it doesn't increase the overall work load unnecessarily. 

I'm also like you Murdabeene, I like to have my essential must have mods updated before I'll start a new version career mode.  I do suggest that anyone who likes to use a lot of mods make a separate copy of KSP for that particular version and copies of mods for it until the majority of the mods meet the new standards.

Perhaps, for a limited time after release 1.3,  you could retain the current tags, and simply add 1.3 for apps that will keep a 1.2.2 version available, or that are known good on both, saving the singular [1.3] tag for apps that no longer have 1.2.2 or whatever available.

@Murdabenne @CarnageINC

I initially thought of locking this thread and opening a new one to keep the 1.2 library available. But thinking about it, there will be no mods removed and the mods updated for 1.2.x pending updates for 1.3 will keep their 1.2 tags in the meantime. Mods that would have been updated to 1.3 can be assumed to be active and to have had a 1.2 release, save "Continued" mods.

I don't think a new thread is necessary. We may keep double tags for some time after the update while people are updating to 1.3 but eventually nothing should be lost during the transition. Mods will still be there with their links; worst case scenario you click on a 1.3 mod and it happens to not have a 1.2 release, but I think it's the simplest solution.

Alright!  I have completed my quest!  I have gone through every thread in both dev and release pages.  I just sent @Gaarst a list with 351 new links.  Most of it older released mods, so I hope he will be able to get that posted in a few days.  With that done, I've added over 850+ new links to the Community Library!  I am confident that 98% of all accessible mods located in the release pages will be included in the Community Library.  There were quite a few old mods with restricted licensing that were not included only because a more current mod with those functions is already out there for us to use.  Also I did not include some 'write your own' config files "mods".  And there were 2 vanity mods I just couldn't bear to post because they have absolutely zero value.

My next magic act is to bring back some open licensed Kerbal Stuff mods that were lost when that site went down.  However my obsession with adding mod links has burnt me out pretty bad.  So this project may never get off the ground, I'll see how I feel after a long break!

*I forgot to mention, TextureReplacer mods with their own thread were not included for the most part.  The OP for that mod has a good library listing already so I didn't feel the need to add them.  However I will have to review TextureReplacer thread with my list to ensure all the mods are mentioned at least somewhere. 

Edited by CarnageINC

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, Gaarst said:
  • [1.2.2] Gameslinx's Planet Pack, by Gamel0rd1 - This planet packs adds more than a dozen new worlds to discover and land on.

I'd like to humbly request this be renamed to Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul. It collides very easily with Galileo's Planet Pack when called by its initials. It is also in fact an overhaul as it modifies some stock worlds.