High Gravity Orbiter Challange

Reach orbit in high gravity environment!

Basically, this challange is just about getting orbit efficiently on Kerbin. However, with gravity multiplier cheat, it won't be easy!

In these harsh environment, haul fuel/payload to orbit as much as you can!

Rules:

1. No cheats allowed, aside from the gravity multiplier cheat.

- Entrants should keep the gravity cheat on throughout the entry, with the multiplier given by each level.

2. No kraken drives, no clipping of functional parts.

3. The orbiter can either be manned or unmanned, refuel it in any way if you can. (Docking is allowed as well)

4. Reach stable orbit out of the atmosphere, using any ways fitting in the rules.

5. Mods allowed:

- Part mods with reasonable chemical tanks/engines only. (No OP tanks/engines or other propulsion concepts)

- Visual mods like Scatter, SVE and such.

- Piloting mods like Mechjeb, kOS and such.

- Editor mods like Part Angle Display, Editor Extension Redux and such. (Finished product should be stock craft with it)

Any other mods aside from these are not allowed.

Entry Submission Rules:

1. An entry should contain screenshots or videos to prove the completion. Imgur or Mission Reports is recommenfed.

2. At least one of the screenshot should contain debug screen indicating that only gravity cheat with appropriate multiplier is on. More than once is recommended. For video submissions, show it once and capture continuous process to orbit in the video.

3. Screenshots should include craft in VAB(for total mass), on LaunchPad, liftoff, subsonic flight, gravity turn, supersonic flight, high atmosphere flight, reaching apoapsis, finishing orbit and craft on orbit and more if you want.

Scoring Scheme:

1. Score is given by (Payload mass) / (Total mass)

- 'Payload' means parts got to orbit which is neither fuel tank nor engine, and fuels left on the orbit. Crew cabins count as payload, but not any other multipurpose fuel tanks like wet wings.

- 'Total' means every parts launched for this mission. This includes pre-launched refueling ships in orbit.

Levels:

I. Moderate gravity (1.7g):

Reach orbit on Kerbin with gravity multiplier of 1.7.

(Range of 1.68g~1.7g is allowed, due to the sensitivity of the scroll bar)

I1. Spaceplanes (too) Powerful

Reach orbit, using jet engines. Every bits you launched should reach stable orbit.

I2. Heavy Rocketry

Reach orbit without jet engines.

Isp. Heavily Usable Rocketry

Reach orbit without jet engines, with every bits you launched reaching stable orbit!

(Yes, this one is specially aimed for conquering a *punishing* body)

II. High gravity (3g): 

Reach orbit on Kerbin, with gravity of 3g!

2.88g~3.0g is allowed.

III. Super gravity (5g): 

Reach orbit on Kerbin with gravity of 5g!

4.98~5g is allowed.

V. Hyper gravity (10g):

Use any possible way, to reach orbit with Hyper gravity of 10g! (Only 10g is allowed, since it's at the end of the scroll bar)

(This should be impossible, though let's see if I'm wrong)

Results:

I. Moderate gravity (1.7g)

I1. Spaceplanes Powerful

I2. Heavy Rocketry

Isp. Heavily Usable Rocketry

II. High Gravity (3g)

1. MarvinKitFox - Asparagus-staged Mammoth Rockets to 11k X 14k orbit. (Score pending)

III. Super Gravity (5g)

V. Hyper Gravity (10g)

+ My entry will be up soon! (Though I doubt I need one)

Edited by Reusables
Edited Rules; Restriction of debug screen for every screenshot is too harsh.

11 minutes ago, MarvinKitFox said:

Tried for 5G, but it seems to be out of my reach.

The is my *5G* design, doing a 3G ascent to orbit with the greatest of ease. Leftover delta-v in excess of 4 km/s

http://imgur.com/a/IegfQ

Congrats! You got the barrier of 3G!

Though, the scoring is based on payload mass, which is (final mass) - (fuel tank dry mass) - (engine mass) in common. Would you provide those information?

Or, would it be better for me to change the scoring to include only fuels and decouple-able 'payloads'(satellites and such) ? Since it's much easier.

• 9 months later...

I was playing around with the KSP cheat settings, and remembered seeing a high gravity challenge somewhere. Since nobody seems to have claimed the 5g level yet, I thought I'd give it a try. I hope I'm not annoying anybody too much by resurrecting this old thread, but it still seems like a valid challenge to me, and I didn't notice any newer versions.

Here are the screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/6OFKf

To make this more fun, I decided to do a crewed return mission at 5x gravity. The return stage (Mk1 pod, heat shield and lots of chutes) weighed 1,800 kg, but I also ended up brinding 1,230 kg of fuel and a 50 kg decoupler to orbit with me, for a "total payload mass" of 3,070 kg. I started out at 837,790 kg (including launch clamps; not sure if those should count), so that's a 0.366% payload fraction.

I still had over 1 km/s of delta-v left in my final stage. With a bit more tweaking of the launcher, I suspect a Minmus landing and return at 5x gravity could well be doable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.