Orbital Mechanics 101 - A Kerbal Space Program Tutorial

pebble_garden

Awesome tutorial, my lander broke apart because I had WAY too much horizontal velocity.

Don't sweat it too much. My first few landings I found that killing my Horizontal Velocity was the most confusing thing to do. I find it is more important to eliminate your horizontal and then worry about your vertical. Also, I noticed you landed at night. Unless you have mods to put lights on your lander

scaled.php?server=716&filename=screenshot22j.png&res=landing

or you use the radar altimeter in IVA, then it is really hard to do night landings.

Still, congratulations on your first landing! It is an awesome achievement!

Awesome tutorial, my lander broke apart because I had WAY too much horizontal velocity.

Thanks!

I REALLY need to make that thrust-vectored descent tutorial. But basically you want to keep some things in mind.

1. For the simplest landing possible, cancel all of your horizontal velocity while still in orbit. You want to retroburn until your retrograde marker is centered in the blue half of the Attitude indicator.

2. Once you're falling straight down, orient your ship vertically. Lower your gear.

3. The slower you're moving vertically, the more apparent will be any horizontal velocity you've acquired. 5 m/sec of horizontal velocity scarcely shows when you're falling at 50 m/sec (it's 1/10th as much), but is quite evident when you're trying to hover.

4. Deal with the horizontal velocity you can see, periodically, as you slow down. This way you don't have to cancel the leftovers all at once, during the tricky part at touchdown.

5. To move the marker back to vertical, tilt your ship in the direction of the marker. That is, move the --V-- on the Attitude Indicator along the line from the blue vertical dot on the ball, to the marker position. Doesn't have to be all the way, even a few degrees is fine, as this thrust vector will slowly counter your horizontal velocity.

6. If you've got ASAS turned on with your ship perfectly vertical, you can still pitch and bank the craft a couple of degrees, and it'll snap back when you release the keys. This can be very useful when making slow or minor adjustments. Tilt in the direction of the displaced marker and it'll slowly come back to center. Release when done.

I hope that helps somewhat.

PS a more Apollo-style arcing descent works the same way, only you are slowly reducing your horizontal velocity along with the vertical, until a point a couple of kilometers before touchdown where you go purely vertical.

Edited by pebble_garden

Okay, I'd like your feedback on this proof-of-concept video.

I've made a minute's worth of a voiced tutorial video concerning the Attitude Indicator. It's about twice as much work as my usual tutorial, but I've had many requests for voice narration. Thankfully it doesn't add too much length, as the narration can be read about as fast as the displayed text.

But does it really add that much value? That's what I need your input about.

Anyway, here's the link to the test video: The Attitude Indicator (Work In Progress)

Please let me know what you think.

Okay, I'd like your feedback on this proof-of-concept video.

I like the robotic voice. Makes me feel like I'm in space or something. Still, I liked your other, non voice-over videos as well. If doing voice over work is going to be detrimental to your enjoyment of making the videos, I would say don't do it. Stick with the text only and the sweet, sweet music you have on your videos :)

Its too bad that i didnt play ksp earlier :)

These are great tutoirals, but maybe you could move on to "Advanced" tutorials? Like, getting to jool, duna, ect.

(mainly jool, duna is easy :P)

Sounds like you're better at those things than I am! To be perfectly honest, I have only flown to Duna, and only with the use of an on-screen protractor and information from Olex's helpful calculator. I don't even know if I can capture the use of a protractor in Fraps.

A few things would have to happen before I can make such 'advanced' tutorials.

1. I have to get better at the challenges myself, and find a way to explain the procedure in non-technical language.

2. KSP will need some native tools for flying interplanetary missions. I don't want to rely on third-party plugins or external programs, but right now they're almost mandatory.

3. Docking functionality, when added, will help a lot. Then the ascent stage won't need to be capable of returning to Kerbin as well.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Why not make a series of videos based on applying maths to KSP ?

Like calculating delta-v etc

That would be a great idea if I actually applied maths to KSP. But seriously, there are plenty of others (Scott Manley, et. al.) who have done that far more ably than I could. No, my particular talent is helping newcomers turn the corner on basic concepts. Where they go from that point is up to them. Still, whenever I find a way to simply explain something that appears complex, that's when I'm motivated to make a tutorial.

Sadly, interplanetary flight is hard, at least without highly technical tools or some automation.

That would be a great idea if I actually applied maths to KSP. But seriously, there are plenty of others (Scott Manley, et. al.) who have done that far more ably than I could. No, my particular talent is helping newcomers turn the corner on basic concepts. Where they go from that point is up to them. Still, whenever I find a way to simply explain something that appears complex, that's when I'm motivated to make a tutorial.

Sadly, interplanetary flight is hard, at least without highly technical tools or some automation.

Yeah fair enough I understand that.

Maybe making a simple tutorial video on making your first space plane? Because on the rocket side of things I think you've got everything apart from a Minmus landing and of course IP missions but as you stated doing it stock is hard.

I've been trying to make one for a few days but fail hard

I'm technically still a newcomer myself been playing less than a week now.

These videos are really useful! I've only been playing 2-3 days so still getting sue to it. I flew 2 ships up and tried to swap crew members but i was 5km away before my astranought's pack ran out of juice.. I'm still finding it hard to get into orbit with fuel to spare so i have a lot to work on =)

Forgive me if this has been answered; I searched this thread for "decoupler" and didn't find the answer.

At about 3:40, you talk about

around to trigger the next stage.

I've only had the sim a few days, but I have no idea how to move these components like you did.

Can you explain?

Forgive me if this has been answered; I searched this thread for "decoupler" and didn't find the answer.

At about 3:40, you talk about

around to trigger the next stage.

I've only had the sim a few days, but I have no idea how to move these components like you did.

Can you explain?

Each component of your rocket has a corresponding icon in the stack of items on screen right, in the VAB. The icons are grouped in numbered stages, beginning with 0 on the top and increasing as you go down. You can click on and move individual components from one stage to another by dragging them with the mouse.

The orange tabs denote stages. The + button beside each allows you to add another stage, if you need to arrange things a little differently.

Items created with symmetry on get a numbered icon, so you might see an engine icon with (4) beside it. Clicking on it expands the icon to its components. Shift-clicking and ctrl-clicking on the items within a multiple allow you to add or remove them from your selection.

I hope that helps! I should probably make a tutorial on the staging and whatnot.

Thanks Pebble.

I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong. I know the sim is still alpha, so I'm being patient.

I was able, last night, to relocate a single detachment ring to the stage above it. So I'd fire the detachment ring and the next engine was ready for throttle up. I tried to make it so I had three SRBs, three detachment pylons, and then a large gimballed thruster all in the same trigger stage. I wasn't able to do this. With all three pylons selected, I couldn't drag them to the stage above.

Maybe I'll shoot some "let's play" vids this weekend and try to upload them so others can see what I'm trying to do and explain why it doesn't work.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome videos for getting started. I was able to get my munitar in orbit last night. Unfortunately, I was orbiting Kerbal north/south. So I still need to learn to read the gyro during launch...

I was able, last night, to relocate a single detachment ring to the stage above it. So I'd fire the detachment ring and the next engine was ready for throttle up. I tried to make it so I had three SRBs, three detachment pylons, and then a large gimballed thruster all in the same trigger stage. I wasn't able to do this. With all three pylons selected, I couldn't drag them to the stage above.

Unfortunately, I was orbiting Kerbal north/south. So I still need to learn to read the gyro during launch...

To move grouped engines, tanks or what have you in the staging order, you have to first click the icons once to expand the group, then drag one of them (might be the top one, not sure) into the stage you want it. So if you have three SRBs, you have an icon with an SRB and the number '3'. When you click that, it expands. Grab the top SRB icon of the three, move it into the right stage, and the other two should follow.

Oh, Pebble already explained that... Yeah, perhaps you'd better make a video then, so we can see what you're trying to do.

All you need to know is that you want to go east, or 90 degrees. Or, even simpler, as long as you rocket hasn't rotated, just yaw right (D key) :).

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had to register and give praise to pebble for the awesome tutorials.

Many thanks, good sir/madam! You've made a lot of the space-witchcraft I've encountered mundane with your videos.

A glass of whiskey shall be raised in your good name tonight!

Whiskey, hmm? I approve! :)

I'm glad I was able to demystify some of this stuff. You should have seen me trying to learn Orbiter, years ago. It took me a couple of years before the whole concept of orbital mechanics clicked for me (not being a math or physics person), so I figured I could save others the pain I went through.

Just had to register and give praise to pebble for the awesome tutorials.

Many thanks, good sir/madam! You've made a lot of the space-witchcraft I've encountered mundane with your videos.

A glass of whiskey shall be raised in your good name tonight!

• 2 weeks later...

I too found Pebble's tutorial on docking really informative, having watched it yesterday. Am now trying docking for the first time myself, having got two craft in orbit (not Pheonix clones!) but on searching for the video to have a refresher on how to do it, it's telling me that they are private and that I need to have access granted by the owner. Confused.