[1.4.x ] Large Boat Parts Pack v3.9.3 Read first post before installing

SpannerMonkey(smce)

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@TMasterson5 Cheers for this and the LBP version,  I'll make a little note of it in the first post  

Admittedly while I have nothing against tweakscale, I have never really been a massive user of it except where parts could really do with a multiple size option. And as you noticed that's very subjective :)   In the case of LBP in particular I think they're big enough, again subjective.   It should be noted that any scaling or pods/bridges or any other part containing and IVA will likely break the IVA, i know they are boring anyway, and not often used , but worth a mention      With reference to Tweakscale also very worth a mention right now with the arrival of the Type45 not so far away. If you tweakscale ANY SM Armory  missile launcher or missile you will break the node placement and it may render the system inoperative.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:04 PM, TMasterson5 said:

For anyone interested I made a tweakscale patch since the tweakscale compatibility for parts is hit or miss in LBPP. It is located here and I will keep it updated as @SpannerMonkey(smce) releases his glorious new content to us peasants!

DL Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g45l0djvbmypl3e/AABZ033reYyTd_6xV17txTR3a?dl=0

Simply download the mods patch you want(or them all) and place in your gameData folder

could you throw this link in your op please sir?

On 5/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Admittedly while I have nothing against tweakscale, I have never really been a massive user of it except where parts could really do with a multiple size option. And as you noticed that's very subjective :)   In the case of LBP in particular I think they're big enough, again subjective.   It should be noted that any scaling or pods/bridges or any other part containing and IVA will likely break the IVA, i know they are boring anyway, and not often used , but worth a mention      With reference to Tweakscale also very worth a mention right now with the arrival of the Type45 not so far away. If you tweakscale ANY SM Armory  missile launcher or missile you will break the node placement and it may render the system inoperative.

I havent had that issue with any of my mods VLS or missile launch type systems, you shouldnt be having that problem with the nodes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 1:51 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi all, I've just tested LBP in 1.3 and it is a complete fail, without KJR there is  no way to keep the ships together.  SO LBP will stay at 1.22 until and if KJR is updated for KSP 1.3

Cheers

There is a fellow user of KJR that recompiled the DLL for KJR to work in 1.3, I have tested with it and it stopped the load in joint failure! here are some ships I have made. 

Spoiler

Two types of destroyers

9xvRchI.png

Close up of one destroyer

1FFqt3F.png

Attempted to reduce the above hull and make a PT or torp boat. It didn't work and i don't know why yet. Maybe something with weight or something. 

JLtLLAE.png

Cruiser design 

Edited by Damaske
typo smashing

5 hours ago, Damaske said:

There is a fellow user of KJR that recompiled the DLL for KJR to work in 1.3,

Hi,thanks for your comment ,  I've a very handy friend too, and have also been testing LBP in 1.3,  and all appears to be just as it should be.  The problem being that I'm not aware of any   accessible KJR fix for most users.       SO while it's yes, should you be lucky enough to have a working version of KJR,  LBP is indeed good to go in 1.3  . Until a fix for KJR becomes generally available (or one of the unapproved fixes gets approval)  I don't see any value in declaring LBP 1.3 ready,  in fact doing so right now would bring a flood of "my ship wont stay together" posts.   Keeping my eye on the KJR repository , so I'll know pretty quickly if something happens in that regard.

Cheers

Update news.

For those wanting to get afloat in 1.3 wander across to the KJR thread and grab the recompiled DLL that is available in the last page or two of the thread, and do say thanks to the nice chap who compiled it, Drop that dll in your KJR  load up LBP and you are good to go.  There will be an official update shortly be for now this gets you all going.

Cheers

22 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi No black parts here... all grey

OK,I am sorry. But you can try this color (RGB 162 162 162 )

YGxLD2w.png

And it will like this

TRzgw1e.jpg

I think this color is more suitable for the modern ship

DVQbXSr.jpg 

4 minutes ago, BF2_Pilot said:

OK,I am sorry. But you can try this color (RGB 162 162 162 )

Hi, nope cant change the color again as there are over 400 parts that now would also need changing. As the parts from this mod and SM Marine are meant to work together I'd have to change all those as well.  There are also very valid reasons why using a texture switch is not an option for lbp .

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

14 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, nope cant change the color again as there are over 400 parts that now would also need changing. As the parts from this mod and SM Marine are meant to work together I'd have to change all those as well.  There are also very valid reasons why using a texture switch is not an option for lbp .

OK,I can change the color by myself

1 hour ago, ColonelVInnie said:

I've been getting a strange bug that my ships bounce up and down when they are driven ahead, is there a way to fix this?

Hi some pictures of the craft are needed before i can even guess whats going on, and some details, such as mass, method of propulsion (if you're using anything other than the supplied drives)  Note if you are using anything other than supplied propeller drives I will be unable to offer any resolution , the use of rocket or jet engines with these parts is not supported and actively discouraged

There is nothing in that whole video that i can perceive as being amiss, wrong, or undesirable . Although as you are running a broken FS hangar extender i wonder what else you are running that is also dubious.

For problems with welded vessels you are on your own, the parts are made and balanced weighted individually and welding them destroys all of that by writing a whole new cfg that may or may not be correct for the vessel and as such it's been taken out of my hands .

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

16 minutes ago, ColonelVInnie said:

At the later parts of the video the navball shows a prograde shift from +10 to -10 degress

Its a very heavy ship,  it is floating they ALL do similar things depending on setup, find me a ship that does not display ANY movement up down

What do have you driving the vessel?  excessive gimbal movement is the most likely cause, but i still say there is nothing evident in that video that causes me concern. Why is the RCS on and what is it doing if not feeding the oscillation?

BUT if you are trying to manually aim turrets from a moving ship i can say with some confidence that it's not going to be a great success, there is no stabilization of manually aimed turrets , Simply firing the guns causes the ship to roll enough to throw the shot off target ,  turning causes pitching and rolling , all these things are normal behavior for an object that is floating. As the ship accelerates the bow lifts slightly. especially if you have the drives mounted in proper ship like positions,, and then drops again.  firing the guns also pushes the hull down in the water, because thats the way it works.

IF you want a stable platform for manually aimed turrets  ships are not it.  You want to fight ships start to use guard mode and set up some decent competition  (mind you using OP NAS turrets sort of rules out guard mode unless you want a one shot battle)

So this is my earlier built ship. (like 5 months ago I think) It shows no sign of bouncing.

Spoiler

Notes:

I do not use gimbals on the engines, I use the modified rcs thruster in the sides.

By guard more I meant a ship with guard mode shooting at a moving ship. The max heat is increased to accommodate for the NAS turrets.

19 minutes ago, ColonelVInnie said:

Notes:

That is not a valid comparison as differently shaped hulls behave in different ways.  In your two examples you have ship 1 double ended. ship 2 traditional fig box hull.   The buoyancy affects both hulls in different ways.

The double ended hull has very high buoyancy amidships with buoyancy and force applied being greatly reduced as you move away from the center, this leads to a ship with a a tendency to pitch around maximum buoyancy. Add to that ,you have the turrets mounted outside of the area of maximum buoyancy so this adds to the pitching    As you have provided no way to counteract this force it can continue and once the hull starts  pushing beyond half a meter below its designed float depth, the game physics start pushing back at maximum force, sending the other less buoyant end downwards, and so it goes on  If you let it it will continue until something breaks or the Kraken taps you on the shoulder. simply changing course slightly can sometimes break the cycle,   Bad design =bad performance

The second hull has high buoyancy for over 5/5 of it's length and all of the turrets are mounted within the area of maximum buoyancy , leading to a very stable hull. good design = good performance

As for guard mode on ships and targeting , I regularly run large scenarios with ships and aircraft combined, and aside from making more ship parts and creative ways to destroy other craft ,  that's pretty much all i do these days in KSP and never have I had a hull behave so badly that it could not use guard mode successfully , not even in the horror that was 1.13, when two ships couldn't be in the same scene without getting slung into orbit

I see the point now. I guess it would be more of a problem i have with ksp buoyancy. It definitely is better than what it was though. Thank you for clarifying that.

Just curious, how far apart are the ships when you run the scenarios? That might explain part of the inaccuracy for me.

And finally what did you mean by a broken FS hangar extender?

28 minutes ago, ColonelVInnie said:

Just curious, how far apart are the ships when you run the scenarios?

Usually kick off is at around 20km for the ships and 30 for the aircraft. The latest BDA allows for a lot higher ranges and RBDA allows for full scale combat, it's not unusual after 30 mins or so for things to be spread across the entire bay between the islands , ksc and the far point  so easily 300sqkm i'd say in total

broken hangar extender, unless you are not using  hangar extender and are using some other tool to build outside of the hangar.  the hangar view was removed in 1.2 because the building could no longer be scaled , now when you click the extend button the craft is simply out in the open as below

http://i.imgur.com/Ul0AYwv.png

Strange... which version is that? I am unable to find an update. It would be nice of you to provide a link.

On a side note, there are a few things that I never got to working properly in BDA related weapons.

-GPS not working properly

-Bomb reticles covering half the screen

Edited by ColonelVInnie
Missed a 0 in the config files.

10 minutes ago, ColonelVInnie said:

Strange... which version is that? I am unable to find an update. It would be nice of you to provide a link.

On a side note, there are a few things that I never got to working properly in BDA related weapons.

-GPS not working properly

-Bomb reticles covering half the screen

Sounds like you have some issues that have long ago been dealt with

This is the BDA releases page  https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/releases

And this is the latest version for ksp 1.3 https://github.com/PapaJoesSoup/BDArmory/releases/download/v0.2.1.2/BDArmory.0.2.1.2_06172017.zip