Can you explain Astronaut flyby instead of orbit ?

With v 1.2.2.1622 I saved a couple of kerbals and took them on a grand tour of Kerbin SOI including exit of the SOI into Kerbol orbit and back and a landing on Minmus and orbit of Mun and orbit of Kerbin.

Previously this used to be enough to earn 3 stars. Now they have two stars and are two points short of the third. When I look at their accomplishments I see they have flyby Kerbol (4pts) and not orbit Kerbol (6pts) like previous grand tourists, so I thought maybe I had not noticed an intercept on exit of the SOI.

But then I saw one kerbal, picked up on Minmus' surface, who had not orbited Kerbin before being rescued. He also has flyby Kerbin and not orbit Kerbin, but I know for a fact that their craft was in a free and clear orbit of Kerbin out of atmo with AP = PE =~ 100km just prior to reentry ie not intersecting any other SOI, so he should have got a straight orbit of Kerbin but he didn't and got a flyby.

So what is going on here? Am I missing something? Is it a bug with orbits not being recognised properly for astrokerbal experience? 

Anyeon else noticed this? Has it been reported?

EDIT I can add an observation which is that the first time the Kerbal rescued on Minmus entered Kerbin SOI he was already on an escape trajectory as the craft was heading out into Kerbol orbit via a trajectory plotted inside Minmus SOI, maybe that was why he was tagged with flyby, but it doesnt explain not updating to orbit.

Edited by boolybooly

It might be that Kerbal achievements are "backwards" for Kerbin since you start there, so a flyby would be a "higher" achievement than orbit in the same way orbit is, presumably, worth more than a landing on Kerbin. That's just a guess though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.