MechJeb for airships.

DerekL1963

Two Mechjeb functions I've found useful while flying airships.

The first is that MechJeb's Smart A.S.S. function is very useful in maintaining course and stability.  (It's best to balance your craft manually if you can, because this will consume EC if your reaction wheels are enabled.)

fj3i2zP.png

I've also created a custom info window that provides all sorts of useful data:

IN5OKDH.png

Altitude (ASL) = your absolute altitude, useful for monitoring pressure altitude.
Altitude (Bottom) = your altitude as measured from the lowest point of the vehicle, very useful for landing.  (Much more useful than Altitude (true), which measures from center of mass.)
Coordinates = current position.
Heading = current heading.
Surface Horizontal Speed = true speed across ground, more accurate than Navball speed and useful in ensuring you don't snap off your landing gear or break or bend your airship on landing.
Vertical speed = Very useful for landing.
Current Biome = If you're out gathering Science, this is useful to know.

Pick Position Target = This works just like "pick target on Map" in the Landing Guidance AP, it flips you out to the map screen and lets you choose a target by clicking on the map.

Heading to target, Target Coordinates, Distance to target, Time to closest approach = navigation information relative to your selected target.  This works whether you've chosen it with Pick Position Target or picked a flag or a craft from the map screen.  It does not appear to work with Kerbnet waypoints.  (Or I may not grok how to use Kerbnet.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.