Jet-of-the-Day Collaboration

Servo

3 hours ago, YoeriCookie said:

Didn't quite make that, did you?

yes, shame on me:sealed:

April 1997: Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

DY1iuen.png

The B-2 stealth bomber is a subsonic, long range aircraft designed to nearly undetectable by means of infrared and radar detectors. It uses four non after-burning turbofans to produce a minimal thermal footprint. The very specific angles used in the design of the plane are primarily for deflecting radar signals. So far, there have been 21 Spirits made, each one being named after a location, usually a state.

B-2-landing-back.jpg

The beginnings of the B-2’s flying-wing design are rooted in early prototypes and concepts designed by John K. Northrop. in 1929, he created a proof-of-concept flying wing with a minimal tail. later, in 1940, the N1M flew, demonstrating that tailless flying wings were possible. That research lead to the XB-35, a four-engine counter-rotating prop bomber which never made it past the X-designation, and later to the YB-49, which was a jet-powered version of the same airfoil. the YB-49 was tested with great success, and went as far as a production prototype, but still was not accepted. Many years passed until 1981 when the concept of a low-profile flying wing became suitable for a stealth bomber concept, and the Northrop design team set to work again on Mr. Northrop’s old designs to eventually create the B-2.

W7okRu3.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: NAA Part Count: 154 Mass: 45.7 Tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 10km Powerplant: 8x Panther Top Speed: 212 m/s (dive) Dimensions: 18.2 x 42.0 x 3.3 LWH

This craft is quite slow, but flies very well at higher altitudes, and has good range.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Northrop-Grumman-B-2-Spirit

Tomorrow's/Next Craft: Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

16 hours ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

yes, shame on me:sealed:

April 1997: Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit

DY1iuen.png

The B-2 stealth bomber is a subsonic, long range aircraft designed to nearly undetectable by means of infrared and radar detectors. It uses four non after-burning turbofans to produce a minimal thermal footprint. The very specific angles used in the design of the plane are primarily for deflecting radar signals. So far, there have been 21 Spirits made, each one being named after a location, usually a state.

B-2-landing-back.jpg

The beginnings of the B-2’s flying-wing design are rooted in early prototypes and concepts designed by John K. Northrop. in 1929, he created a proof-of-concept flying wing with a minimal tail. later, in 1940, the N1M flew, demonstrating that tailless flying wings were possible. That research lead to the XB-35, a four-engine counter-rotating prop bomber which never made it past the X-designation, and later to the YB-49, which was a jet-powered version of the same airfoil. the YB-49 was tested with great success, and went as far as a production prototype, but still was not accepted. Many years passed until 1981 when the concept of a low-profile flying wing became suitable for a stealth bomber concept, and the Northrop design team set to work again on Mr. Northrop’s old designs to eventually create the B-2.

W7okRu3.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: NAA Part Count: 154 Mass: 45.7 Tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 10km Powerplant: 8x Panther Top Speed: 212 m/s (dive) Dimensions: 18.2 x 42.0 x 3.3 LWH

This craft is quite slow, but flies very well at higher altitudes, and has good range.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Northrop-Grumman-B-2-Spirit

Tomorrow's/Next Craft: Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

beautiful some one roll out the jdams

Hey, is it almost finished? Raptor is from circa 1990s or so, don't think there are too many left.
I quite enjoyed this thread. Would be interesting to do another kind of jet-of the day (though maybe of the week might be easier to do)

19 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Hey, is it almost finished? Raptor is from circa 1990s or so, don't think there are too many left.
I quite enjoyed this thread. Would be interesting to do another kind of jet-of the day (though maybe of the week might be easier to do)

Yes, it is coming to a close---probably this week.
Of-the-week would certainly last for a while, or the work could be broken up between more builders and the thread started later. I'm thinking I may create a few Russian craft or advance/modified designs to have a backlog for some other Jet-of-the-day type thread. I'm open to ideas, because while I did run out of time for two craft on this thread, I would certainly like to either organize or take part in an other.

16 hours ago, fourfa said:

I'd be interested to see a X-plane series - lots of forgotten history between X-1 and X-15

That's one of the possible ideas, along with Russian jets. Either way, I think it would have to be a whole lot more than two of us building and publishing the craft. We do have a surprise planned for the end of JotD, though. More on that after we decide what that surprise is.

Also, I'm bumping the F-22 to tomorrow, because today's craft technically came first. Also came before the B-2, but I'm grouping it with the F-22.

June 1991 - Northrop YF-23 ATF Demonstrators "Black Widow II" and "Gray Ghost"

7Z28TbM.png

The YF-23 was Northrop’s submission to the USAF’s Advanced Tactical Fighter design competition, competing against the YF-22. Two YF-23s were built, under the monikers Black Widow II and Gray Ghost. In combat trials against the YF-22, the YF-23 proved to be faster and stealthier, although the USAF valued the agility of the YF-22 above all else.The AFT competition resulted in the first fifth-generation fighters to enter service. Fifth-generation fighters incorporated advanced stealth stemming from advanced computing techniques, supersonic cruise speeds, high maneuverability, and advanced connectivity with other aircraft and ground systems.

both_yf-23s_in_flight.jpg?w=620

The YF-23 is a new and striking design for fighters. The trapezoidal wing is unique in a field dominated by delta winged fighters. Additionally, the YF-22 has the ability to cruise at mach 1 without using afterburners, allowing for extreme range.

cPTHZfy.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: Servo Part Count: 85 Mass: 10.4 tons Crew: 1
Top Speed: 450m/s Service Ceiling: 10km Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 12.78 x 9.29 x 3.37 LWH

This YF-23 is an updated version of the one I posted several months ago. I modified pretty much everything except the wings in this version, cleaning lines and making it mirror the actual YF-23 more accurately. This model can cruise for about 20 minutes without afterburner (only about 4 with afterburners).

YxPFFrK.png?1

Outside of that, it handles pretty well from everywhere from approach speed to supersonic, and looks awesome doing it.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/YF-23-Mark-II

Tomorrow's Craft:

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

Edited by Servo

4 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

such as the X-3 Stiletto (i always laugh at that name)

why laugh? Stiletto is a rapier like dagger, i think it s a really cool name, but could be because im italian.

Edited by eorin

1 hour ago, RunsWithScissors said:

P.S., you guys forgot to put a date on the YF-23

Edited to fix, thanks for the heads-up. The Advanced Tactical Fighter competition was initialized in 1986, with Lockheed Martin and Northrop being selected to build aircraft. The YF-22 was selected in 1991, and developed into the F-22 over the next ten years. The Raptor entered service in 2005. Production continued until 2012, when plants began tooling up for the F-35. 

There have been talks of reviving the YF-23, particularly the Next-Generation Bomber competition. The design competed against a modified Raptor, as well as a next-generation flying wing from Boring. The competition was cancelled before any aircraft were built.

I think usaf did a mistake choosing the  f-22  instead the yf-23.

Both are good designs, but the f22 is just a traditional agility fighter with a good stealth capacity. Is still a old way to think planes.

In the other hand yf-23 follow a new way to realize fighter, what could really be the base for a 6th generation, with strike and run unseen strategy.

Dogfight is cool for sure and looks like a medieval-renaissance gentleman duel, but right now missiles and radars are what makes difference. You can maybe dodge a missile with flares and evasive manouvers, but there will be a point where missiles tecnology will be better, and agility will be almost useless even with unmanned craft that supports high levela of G forces.

Even stealth tecnology could become obsolete in future, but stealth has still room to evolve.

Thats why i prefer f-23 over the raptor....

Ok not true... I just prefer the look hahaha, i have to be honest with myself. :P

6 hours ago, eorin said:

Thats why i prefer f-23 over the raptor....

Ok not true... I just prefer the look hahaha, i have to be honest with myself. :P

You and me both... The F-22 is an attractive craft, but the F-23 is on a whole new plane.

And with that awful pun, on to the F-22!

December 2005 - Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

NsS0mXZ.png

The F-22 Raptor was the ultimate winner of the ATF competition against the Northrop YF-23. It was a more capable dogfigher, putting it a step ahead of the -23 in the USAF’s mind. The first F-22s entered service in 2005, and through 2012, almost 200 examples were built. F-22s have extremely effective all-aspect stealth, allowing them to engage and destroy threats before even appearing on the enemy radar screens. In one famous example, a F-22 intercepted a pair of Iranian F-4s and flew under them without being detected at all. Only when the F-22 radioed to the F-4s did they realize that they had been intercepted.

45af5695f4e32749c4009cad8ceca674.jpg

Replica Statistics

Builder: Servo Part Count: 121 Mass: 18.6 tons Crew: 1
Top speed: 550m/s Service Ceiling: 10km Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 14.57 x 9.58 x 3.97 LWH

I’m really proud about this replication, particularly the engines. In my opinion, it nails the tradespace of appearance - part count - performance. I feel like I did a good job rendering the Raptor - particularly the engines - in a comparatively low part count.

DoqS7T9.png?1
Additionally, this F-22 performs extremely well. If you unlock the second tail vane, it is a very maneuverable dogfighter. Additionally, it has can almost supercruise without afterburner, and with burners lit it can reach mach 2 at altitude. Thanks to the large number of wing parts, it also glides at about 45m/s. In all, it’s an extremely fun craft that I’m sure you will enjoy as much as I did.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-22-Raptor

Tomorrow's Craft:

Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter Lightning II

Edited by Servo

2 hours ago, Heckspress said:

is the JSF going to be the Marine VTOL?

Yes, the B model

33 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Just a slight correction, the B-2 project commenced in 1983 and Jack Northrop reviewed the design before his death in 1984.  I don't know the date of the first flight and if you're going by that then this is merely a vignette.

I don't know exactly when Northrop's flying wing data and stealth experiments came together (project B-2 conception), although I thought Jack Northrop died in 1981. Still, I believe he did see the plans, as the contract had not been won by Northrop at that point.

2 hours ago, Heckspress said:

is the JSF going to be the Marine VTOL?

Yes it is! This is actually one of the first craft that I made for JotD, so I guess it's fitting that it's the penultimate edition.

July 2015 - Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

nXd1AA1.jpg

The F-35 is a family of three fifth-generation stealth fighters being produced by a number of companies, including Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, BAE systems, and Pratt & Whitney. The F-35 family consists of the F-35A, a conventional takeoff and landing fighter produced for the U.S. Army; the F-35B, a S/VTOL fighter produced for the U.S. Marine Corps; and the F-35C, a carrier-adapted version for the U.S. Navy. Additionally, a number of western nations have bought into the F-35 program to replace other aging fighters, including the 40-year old F-15 and F-16s.

33bCMYm.jpg

The F-35A is designed to replace the F-15 in the air superiority role, and the F-15E in the ground attack theater. In order to achieve these goals, the F-35A is equipped with advanced battlefield integration. This allows the pilot to share information with ground forces or other aircraft in real time. The main role that the F-35 is not designed to take over is the dogfighting role. In the words of Air Combat Command head Mike Hostage, "any F-35 pilot that enters a dogfight has made a mistake." Additionally, the F-35A is the main export version of the F-35. Export versions have several minor modifications, depending on the importer. Japanese F-35s have both rigid boom and probe and basket refueling systems, and Norwegian F-35s have a drogue chute pod. The Royal Netherlands Air Force and Royal Australian Air Force, in addition to the Turkish, Israeli, and Singaporean air forces will all be operating F-35As in the next five years.

f13-09625pr-2__main.jpg

The VTOL capabilities of the F-35B, unique among active fighters (the Harrier is an attack aircraft), are thanks to the unique engine layout. All F-35s are powered by the Pratt & Whitney F135 engine, the second afterburning stealth engine (the first powered the F-22 Raptor). The F-35B uses a modified F135 as well as a Rolls Royce LiftSystem, the vertical lift fan that balances the F-35B. Additionally, there are small underwing jets that allow roll control while hovering. The VTOL capabilities will allow the Marines to use the F-35B in similar roles as the AV-8B Harrier II, while also providing a supersonic fighter and air superiority aircraft. The Marine Corps, in addition to the Royal Air Force and the Italian Air Force will be equipped with F-35Bs in the future.

The F-35C was created for the U.S. Navy, and features a number of modifications to make the aircraft more suitable for carrier operations. It features increased tail and wing area to lower approach speeds, folding wings, and has strengthened landing gear and mainframe, and a tailhook for carrier landings. The U.S. Navy will be the sole customer for the F-35C.

g74ffOk.png?1

Replica Statistics - F-35B

Builder: Servo Part Count: 146 Mass: 15.6 tons Crew: 1
Top Speed: 260m/s Service Ceiling: 8km Powerplant: 2x Panther (horizontal) + 2x Panther (lift fan) Dimensions: 12.14 x 8.56 x 4.09 LWH

This F-35B will probably remain one of my favorite craft for a while. The engine transition is so smooth, and it looks awesome doing it. Unfortunately, the flight performance is mediocre overall, but it's an awesome craft nonetheless.

How to fly the F-35B:

Spoiler

How to take off:

1.) Throttle to 60%, then use action groups 2 and 3 to enable the engines
2.) Use action group 1 to decouple the engine, and take off as you would a normal VTOL.
3.) With a minimum of 40m altitude, press action group 1 to swivel the engine, followed shortly by 2 to toggle the lift fan.
4.) Once the engine redocks, throttle to full. Use action group 5 to close the engine bay. Action group 4 toggles the afterburner, which is helpful for low-altitude takeoffs.

How to land:

1.) Open the engine bay with action group 5, then throttle to 40%
2.) Press action group 1 and 2 simultaneously to toggle the engine down and activate the lift fan.
3.) Use [ to switch to the engine assembly. Throttle to 40%.
4.) Switch back over to the main aircraft and land as you would a normal VTOL. Make sure you land with brakes enabled.
5.) Once on the ground, throttle the lift engine to zero. Either press 1 to re-raise the lift engine or switch to the engine and throttle it to zero. If you are reloading or recovering the craft, lift the engine so that it is docked.

Download Link

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-35B-JSF

Forum page, where I go more in-depth on the construction of the F-35B:

Tomorrow's Craft:

Boeing KC-46 Pegasus

This is the final craft installment for Jet of the Day, it's been a wild ride!

2018 - Boeing KC-46 Pegasus

OA07d7y.png

The KC-46 is a next-generation aerial refueling and cargo aircraft developed as part of the KC-X program in 2006. Boeing adapted their 767 passenger/cargo aircraft to the roles required in the KC-X competition. The Pegasus can be used in a variety of roles, including cargo, aerial refueling, and as a flying hospital. The Pegasus contains equipment for both boom and probe and basket refueling.

9pBojGt.png?1

It's late, and the Pegasus is pretty self-explanatory, so have some more pictures of this beast of a plane.

kc_46a_hero_lrg_01_1280x720_new.jpg

You can see the two extra refueling pods on the end of each wing. They allow the KC-46 to refuel up to three aircraft at the same time.

aYPdbtT.png

I've attempted refueling my F-22 with the KC-46. The refueling drogue seems to be easier to use than the typical boom design, as you can fly into the port instead of up onto it. That said, it's not easy either way.

Replica Statistics:

Builder: Servo Part Count: 340 Mass: 79.5 tons Crew: 3
Top Speed: 240m/s Service Ceiling: 8km Powerplant: 12x Wheesley Dimensions: 34.75 x 32.6 x 12.52

This KC-46 is the final craft in the Jet of the Day Series, so I put a lot of time into making it look as accurate as possible. It features a unique nose design, built completely out of solar panels. Additionally, it has an accurate set of flaps and spoilers, plus a combination of crew and refueling capabilities. However, the most interesting part of this craft is (what I believe to be) the first-ever stock probe-and-basket refueling system in KSP.
How to use it:
1.) Make sure you have ignore crash damage enabled. I think it will work without it, but there’s a solid chance it just explodes.
2.) Use action group 1 to decouple the boom. The boom should self-deploy. If it doesn’t immediately re-dock, pitch up and down to make the docking ports stick. Use action group 2 to toggle the boom engines off.
3.) Use action group 1 again, then switch to the boom and throttle up to full. Again, it should move forward by itself

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/KC-46-Pegasus

In the Future:

@NorthAmericanAviation and I are working on a short recap video for the series, that will be out sometime in the next week. Expect updates, plus discussion on where the series/concept is going from here. It's been awesome working with NAA, so I doubt that this thread is the last that you've seen of us.

To the readers:

What do you want to see in the future? More builders? Russian Jets? Space missions? Experiemental craft? All of the above! We'd love to hear what you guys thought of the series and what we should do in the future :)

Edited by Servo

Grand Zip File with all .craft Files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4G9qXXCsTUqSU5jVS1VVExxTWc

Here's every craft that was released on this thread, all in one place. You are all welcome to use these craft in videos/cinematics, provided that you credit either @NorthAmericanAviation or myself for any craft that we made (everything except the SR-71 and F-117), and PM us with the final product (we'd like to see what you do with our jets).

Some numbers on possible projects:

Russian Planes: ~50 planes. It would only include aircraft that received NATO designations and were produced in significant numbers (200+)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_aircraft_of_the_Soviet_Union_and_the_CIS

X-planes: ~60 (the first section, plus some of the second one). Limited again to jets + gliders. I expect that my B-52 will have regular appearances if we choose this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_experimental_aircraft#United_States

Manned Space missions: 15 programs. This option would include creating the mission architecture in a single craft (Apollo Program, Soyuz Program, etc), and would likely have a video of a mission using that architecture included. This would most definitely be a weekly project instead of a daily one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_spaceflight_programs

Make your voice heard!

http://www.strawpoll.me/12859987

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.