Jet-of-the-Day Collaboration

Servo

On 4/29/2017 at 6:13 PM, Servo said:

Grand Zip File with all .craft Files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4G9qXXCsTUqSU5jVS1VVExxTWc

Here's every craft that was released on this thread, all in one place. You are all welcome to use these craft in videos/cinematics, provided that you credit either @NorthAmericanAviation or myself for any craft that we made (everything except the SR-71 and F-117), and PM us with the final product (we'd like to see what you do with our jets).

Some numbers on possible projects:

Russian Planes: ~50 planes. It would only include aircraft that received NATO designations and were produced in significant numbers (200+)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_aircraft_of_the_Soviet_Union_and_the_CIS

X-planes: ~60 (the first section, plus some of the second one). Limited again to jets + gliders. I expect that my B-52 will have regular appearances if we choose this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_experimental_aircraft#United_States

Manned Space missions: 15 programs. This option would include creating the mission architecture in a single craft (Apollo Program, Soyuz Program, etc), and would likely have a video of a mission using that architecture included. This would most definitely be a weekly project instead of a daily one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_spaceflight_programs

Make your voice heard!

http://www.strawpoll.me/12859987

I'd like to see X-planes, just because people do make lots of Russian replicas on this forum and i wan't to see some weird stuff.

6 hours ago, Heckspress said:

I'd like to see X-planes, just because people do make lots of Russian replicas on this forum and i wan't to see some weird stuff.

Russian planes are weird too...  it's like their defineing feature.

56 minutes ago, The Optimist said:

a stilleto is a knife m8

44 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

I thought that was the name of a shoe

On 4/26/2017 at 1:06 PM, eorin said:

why laugh? Stiletto is a rapier like dagger, i think it s a really cool name, but could be because im italian.

It's all 3, but can we step away from that and take a moment to recognize how beautiful the cockpit glass of the X-3 is?

182470.jpg

1 hour ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

It's all 3, but can we step away from that and take a moment to recognize how beautiful the cockpit glass of the X-3 is?

182470.jpg

I definitely like x planes! If you start a x plane thread, i think you should also add yf planes, example yf-12 yf-23 yf-32, the experimental f 16 with strange wings i miss the name right now.

1 hour ago, eorin said:

I definitely like x planes! If you start a x plane thread, i think you should also add yf planes, example yf-12 yf-23 yf-32, the experimental f 16 with strange wings i miss the name right now.

Ah, the F-16XL, methinks. Yes, definitely going to remember all the weird lesser known stuff, and I mean really unknown, too, like the F6U 'Pirate,' for instance, and of course the Northrop flying wing bombers.
(and the Convair YB-60 I've been teasing you all with in the WIP thread---it's done.)

We'll start a thread, create a craft roster, and if you want something added, holler!:D When we'll do this idk, but it won't be limited to 2 people---open sign up is an idea I've been throwing around (with some 'decency standards', as to keep the quality of craft high.)

7 minutes ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

We'll start a thread, create a craft roster, and if you want something added, holler!:D When we'll do this idk, but it won't be limited to 2 people---open sign up is an idea I've been throwing around (with some 'decency standards', as to keep the quality of craft high.)

I guess we should pull the trigger on this now: the poll results are in and X-planes won overwhelmingly. So the next project will be X-plane of the Day. 

Following on that total surprise of an announcement is a more exciting one: 

We're looking for collaborators!

If you're interested in contributing craft + writeups for the thread, PM both NAA and me with how many craft you're willing to build/contribute for the thread, plus a couple screenshots of stock replica craft (of any type) that you've built. We're working on a craft list, which will be done shortly. 

On 4/26/2017 at 6:01 PM, Servo said:

December 2005 - Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

NsS0mXZ.png

The F-22 Raptor was the ultimate winner of the ATF competition against the Northrop YF-23. It was a more capable dogfigher, putting it a step ahead of the -23 in the USAF’s mind. The first F-22s entered service in 2005, and through 2012, almost 200 examples were built. F-22s have extremely effective all-aspect stealth, allowing them to engage and destroy threats before even appearing on the enemy radar screens. In one famous example, a F-22 intercepted a pair of Iranian F-4s and flew under them without being detected at all. Only when the F-22 radioed to the F-4s did they realize that they had been intercepted.

45af5695f4e32749c4009cad8ceca674.jpg

Replica Statistics

Builder: Servo Part Count: 121 Mass: 18.6 tons Crew: 1
Top speed: 550m/s Service Ceiling: 10km Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 14.57 x 9.58 x 3.97 LWH

I’m really proud about this replication, particularly the engines. In my opinion, it nails the tradespace of appearance - part count - performance. I feel like I did a good job rendering the Raptor - particularly the engines - in a comparatively low part count.

DoqS7T9.png?1
Additionally, this F-22 performs extremely well. If you unlock the second tail vane, it is a very maneuverable dogfighter. Additionally, it has can almost supercruise without afterburner, and with burners lit it can reach mach 2 at altitude. Thanks to the large number of wing parts, it also glides at about 45m/s. In all, it’s an extremely fun craft that I’m sure you will enjoy as much as I did.

The F-22 is personally my favorite fighter of all time. I live in south-central Alaska near JBER(Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson) and there are always F-22s flying overhead. Also, at the Arctic Thunder airshow every other year, they perform, and it is truly a beautiful sight. Thank you guys so much for making this.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:45 PM, eorin said:

I will like to work on a yf 32, looks strange and for this appealing to me... If only i had time

On 5/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, cratercracker said:

Can I collaborate by liking your post?))))

You can PM @Servo or myself---we'll go from there based on how much time you have, what craft you want, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.