Jet-of-the-Day Collaboration

Servo

2 hours ago, RunsWithScissors said:

This thread is amazing, are you guys thinking of doing a Russian jet-a day?

Honestly, given how much work it's been, probably not. One idea we've thrown around has been doing X-planes and other prototypes that didn't quite make it. We have done (and will do) a few in this thread, but there are so many relatively unknown (and undeniably cool) designs out there. 

Edit: 100 posts!

Edited by Servo

7 hours ago, Servo said:

Honestly, given how much work it's been, probably not. One idea we've thrown around has been doing X-planes and other prototypes that didn't quite make it. We have done (and will do) a few in this thread, but there are so many relatively unknown (and undeniably cool) designs out there. 

Edit: 100 posts!

Maybe I will start a thread and leave it open for people so sign on/up to the project (for a period of time), so it could include more people overall. A lot of required communication, though, but I really do want to do a Prototype-of-the-day type thread, maybe one for (Stock) VTOLs and Rotorcraft separate from conventional aircraft. I'll keep it on the 'back burner.'

1 minute ago, NorthAmericanAviation said:

Maybe I will start a thread and leave it open for people so sign on/up to the project (for a period of time), so it could include more people overall. A lot of required communication, though, but I really do want to do a Prototype-of-the-day type thread, maybe one for (Stock) VTOLs and Rotorcraft separate from conventional aircraft. I'll keep it on the 'back burner.'

That's a great idea - I hadn't really considered opening it up to more people. Even if it's only 5 or 6 other people, that would really take the load off of us. Once JotD finishes up, we'll have more time to ruminate as to what's next.

But for now, we've got just over two more weeks of craft to make.

20 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

Will the Harrier be included in this or is it more of a british plane than an american plane?

Yep! Expect one in just over two weeks. I'll do my best to recreate the swiveling engines, so it'll be another crazy hinged contraption.

Edited by Servo

1 hour ago, Servo said:

Yep! Expect one in just over two weeks. I'll do my best to recreate the swiveling engines, so it'll be another crazy hinged contraption.

Man, I gotta perfect my unorthodox KSP gimmicks like you, but Turboprops are hard to shrink! of course, I might have a helicopter to publish... some time... but for the meanwhile, here's this:

February 1974: Lockheed S-3 Viking

cQ9QSrk.png

Designed to be an anti-submarine aircraft, the S-3’s initial form replaced the aging Grumman S-2 Tracker. The role of the aircraft consisted of tracking Soviet submarines as they cruised about. This role ended with the fall of the Soviet Union in 1992. As deployed for Persian Gulf War, though, they would receive missile hard-points, avionics upgrades, radar equipment, and different crews to perform attack and ELINT missions. Sixteen aircraft would be converted into the Electronic warfare-specified ES-3A Shadow. Apart from that, they were also armed with different air-to-air missiles, and actually destroyed a Naval/Leadership target during operation Iraqi Freedom with a ‘Maverick’ missile.

s3viking_6.jpg

Retirement and Possible Service Outlook

The majority of S-3’s were retired in 2009, with 3 remaining in service for a few years, and one continuing in operation with NASA. However, some analysts believe that returning the stored masses of S-3’s to service as tankers would be beneficial in order to extend the range of current strike fighters such as the F/A-18 and F-35B. In 2014, Lockheed-Martin offered to refurbish 35 of the 91 stored S-3’s, re-labeling them C-3’s to fulfill this role and ‘carrier onboard delivery’(COD). COD is essentially a personnel and supply ferrying-type job.

NLyh4Z1.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: NAA Part Count: 50 Mass: 5.8 Tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 9500m Powerplant: 4x Juno (thrust limited) Top Speed: 180 m/s Dimensions: 7.7 x 9.4 x 4.0 LWH

This recreation flies well, has good range, and plenty of illumination! it’s good for practicing short landing rolls and other fundamental carrier operations.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Lockheed-S-3-Viking

Tomorrow's Craft: Grumman F-14 Tomcat

JotD is Topic of the Month! Whoot!

To celebrate, let's have a look at my personal favorite craft in the lineup, the F-14 Tomcat.

September 1974: Grumman F-14 Tomcat

UmzNmzj.gif

The F-14 Tomcat is one of the most iconic U.S. fighters, ranking along the P-51 Mustang, F-86 Sabre, and the F-4 Phantom in the lists of the greatest fighters of all time. Its wide versatility, immediately recognizable swing-wing, and appearance in Top Gun add to its appeal. In the air, the F-14 was a Mach 2.2, carrier based fighter-bomber designed with experience fighting MiGs in Vietnam. As a capable dogfighter, the F-14 earned 160 kills versus only 10 losses to enemy fire in the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

H89B7wd.png

The F-14 was designed as a replacement to the Navy’s sub-par F-111B Aardvark, based around a potent combination of more powerful engines and radar, plus AIM-54 missiles. The result was a powerful air-superiority fighter that was only phased out of service in 2006, after 30 years of service. The first F-14 reached squadrons in 1972, slightly over a year after the first prototype flew. In fact, the prototype was so successful that the Navy pushed the F-14 through development at an absurd pace. The rushed development didn't harm the F-14 at all, and when the first two squadrons went to sea in 1974, the F-14 was at the forefront of their air arm.

f-14-tomcat.jpg

"He's too close for missiles, Goose. I'm switching to guns"

The F-14 is an extremely versatile fighter, capable of being armed with a variety of missiles, bombs, and drop tanks for any type of mission. The Tomcat was designed to carry six of the AIM-54 Phoenix, a million-dollar standoff missile. The Phoenix had a 200 mile range, allowing the Tomcat to engage and destroy targets not only from beyond visual range, but from beyond radar range. For dogfights, the F-14 carries two to four cheaper AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, as well as a single 20mm cannon on the left side of the aircraft. The cannon was the result of the realization that a missile-less fighter was basically a sitting duck. Because of this, most modern fighters carry a single cannon somewhere on the aircraft.

F-14-x-Su-22-Sidra-Gulf.jpg

su_22_aawp-tinmoi.jpg

The first combat test of the F-14 came in August 1981, when two F-14s on patrol were intercepted by Libyan Su-22 "Flitter" fighter-bombers, ironically another variable-geometry type. The engagement was extremely short, with only three shots being fired. As seen above the Libyan jets engaged and missed, and then were rapidly dispatched by the F-14s and their pilots. U.S. Tomcats also saw further engagements over Libya, as well as during Operation Desert Storm, and in Bosnia, when modified "Bombcats" were used to drop smart bombs on targets.

a4iBizm.gif

The F-14's defining characteristic are its variable geometry wings. They blend into the fuselage, and swing back at high speeds to allow an extremely aerodynamic profile. At subsonic speeds, the wings are extended outwards to provide much better handling at low speeds. The peculiar front profile of a F-14 on landing led the ground crews to nickname it "The Turkey"

Plus, a video where I fly around a pair of F-14s!

Replica Statistics

Builder: Servo Part Count: 351 Mass: 44.6 tons Crew: 2
Top Speed: 300m/s Powerplant: 6x Panther Service Ceiling: 10km Dimensions: 19.62 x 19.07 x 6.74 LWH

This is a 1:1 scale replica of the F-14 Tomcat, complete with a pair of air-to-air missiles and swing wings.

Controlling the wings is simple. Simple use action group 1 to toggle the wings forward, and action group 2 to toggle them backward. Note that you have to stage to release the wings first. Most of the time, the wings should snap into position by themselves, but sometimes you have to adjust the limit on the airbrakes manually in order to move the docking ports so that it docks. The F-14 can be flown without/halfway docked wings, but landing and time warp are discouraged.

vm6EnT8.png?1

Takeoff is really simple. Pitch-up at 40m/s and it’s off like a rocket. Landing is much harder. To land safely, come in really hot, at full throttle (non-afterburning), above 120m/s at a low glideslope. As soon as the wheels stick, kill the throttle and brake hard, and it comes to a stop pretty quickly.

In order to fire the missiles, decouple them and select the target and the target hold on SAS. After you have done that, you can switch back to the F-14 and continue flying.

kArEGon.gif

This is a shot of the Air-to-Air missile taking out my F-5. I'm working on a cinematic featuring the two planes, in the style of Top Gun, minus the unnecessary volleyball scene (well, all the scenes that didn't have F-14s in them were unnecessary).

Forum thread:

KerbalX link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-14-Tomcat

Tomorrow's Craft:

McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle

Edited by Servo

January 1976 - McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle

025xG5G.png

The F-15 Eagle is an all-weather air supremacy fighter designed in 1972 by McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing). The Eagle is easily recognizable, with twin turbofans and a split tail. The first F-15 flew in 1974, and combat squadrons were equipped with the F-15 for the first time in 1976. The Eagle was the most advanced fighter in service from its introduction, and will likely remain so until the Joint Strike Fighter enters active service. The Eagle's combat prowess is attributed to a number of factors, including its extreme maneuverability and range, as well as its advanced electronics and weaponry. The computerized systems allows F-15 pilots to singlehandedly engage and destroy targets over a constantly changing battlefield. The high TWR and large wing area allow the F-15 to turn sharply in combat without loosing airspeed, crucial to effective dogfighting.

u8ecnLf.jpg

Through 40+ years of service, the Eagle has never had a loss in combat, despite claiming over 100 kills. During its forty-year service life, the F-15 was updated with more modern equipment and avionics. Variants include the F-15E Strike Eagle, a STOL demonstrator, and the F-15SE Silent Eagle. The F-15E was a two-seat fighter developed for interdiction missions requiring a dedicated weapons officer.

PIW9pq7.png

Replica Statistics:

Builder: Servo Part Count: 49 Mass: 11.7 tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 15km Top Speed: 450m/s Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 12.13 x 8.92 x 3.46

True to life, this replication is agile, easy to fly, and versatile, at an extremely affordable part count.

cVDzWa8.png

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-15-Eagle

Tomorrow's Craft:

Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II

March 1977: Fairchild-Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II "Warthog"

Q21pb8V.png

Have you had your daily dose of Brrrrt? If not, take this stock A-10 out for a spin. Guaranteed to insert 30mm shells filled with pure freedom and depleted uranium into whatever you point it at, this beast of an airplane can take whatever is thrown at it.

a10_thunderbolt.jpg

Now that that's done, the A-10 was the brainchild of Fairchild-Repulbic, and named after the legendary P-47 Thunderbolt from WWII. True to its predecessor, the A-10 was a hard-hitting ground-attack aircraft that could take a lot of punishment and return home safely. The A-10 features the famous "titanium bathtub" surrounding the pilot to protect them from ground fire, as well as mechanical linkages serving as backup controls, allowing the A-10 to continue flying without electrical power. However, the best-known part of the A-10 is the GAU-8 Avenger, a massive rotary cannon.

eIMbGci.png

The GAU-8 is the largest aircraft gun in service (legendarily, there was a Russian design with a larger one, but the vibrations shook the plane to pieces), and is a welcome sound for American ground troops. The GAU-8 has such a heavy projectile and high rate of fire that the gun puts out more thrust than one of the engines - 45kN compared with the 40.3kN from one o the two TF34 engines. Additionally, so much gas is outputted from the gun that the engines have to have a sustainer mechanism so that the deoxygenated gun exhaust doesn't choke the engines.

Replica Statistics

Builder: Servo Mass: 17.4 tons Part Count: 134 Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 5km Top Speed: 200m/s Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 15.68 x 16.82 x 4.28

I'm pretty sure that this is the first stock A-10 to carry a working cannon, even if the cannon is pretty unreliable. It does work in flight at least 50% of the time, so that's a plus. I have another version with a much more reliable cannon in the works, but that will have to wait. In order to fire first press 1 to toggle the engine, then 2 and 3 to stage the pair of clips. Communotrons should start flying out the front of the aircraft and exploding. If not, it is likely that the antennas escaped their cage.

Beyond the unreliability of the gun, the airframe is really solid. It maintained flight after I knocked off half of a wing and the entire tail assembly. Trim up 50% (the first large marking) and it should fly pretty level without SAS. Other versions may fly better, but this is the only one that has a gun.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/A-10-Thunderbolt-II-working-GAU-8

Tomorrow's Craft:

General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon

Continuing on my trend of legendary modern 70's warbirds, here's the F-16.

August 1978 - General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon

3Y9mudW.png

The F-16 is one of the cornerstones of the modern U.S. arsenal, and has been since its introduction in 1978. Since production began in 1976, over 4,500 F-16s and their variants have been produced for the U.S. military and a total of 26 foreign nations. The F-16’s ubiquity - it’s the second most common military aircraft, and the most common fixed-wing craft in service today - is due to a number of factors. The Fighting Falcon is extremely maneuverable, thanks to relaxed static stability (designing the craft to be slightly unstable to enhance maneuverability) and fly-by-wire, advanced avionics allowing multi-target radar tracking, and a low cost-of maintenance.

f-16-j-98821f16wwf.jpg

F-16s have found several niches in military squadrons around the world, thanks to their extremely flexible layout - they have 17 hardpoints for bombs, missiles, and drop tanks. Additionally, F-16s currently hold the aggressor role in Red Flag war games, and are the plane of choice for Wild Weasel squadrons. The Red Flag games are a set of three to four aerial war games run annually. They feature aggressor pilots selected from the best air force pilots trained in enemy tactics and new pilots learning the ropes of aerial combat.

tPQBoqn.png

Replica Statistics:

Builder: Servo Mass: 11.6 tons Part Count: 39 Crew: 1 (actually 2)
Top Speed: 900m/s Service Ceiling: 15km Powerplant: 2x Panther Dimensions: 12.72 x 9.98 x 5.07

This F-16 replica is an extremely low part count replica, designed with both looks and performance in mind. Using a pair of clipped Panthers, this F-16 can punch through Mach 1.5 at sea level, and easily go Mach 3 at higher altitudes. Additionally, it is extremely maneuverable and fun to fly. As downloaded, the F-16 has only about 15 minutes of fuel (without afterburners), but it’s more than enough for a jaunt around KSC.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/F-16-Fighting-Falcon

Tomorrow's Craft:

Boeing YC-14

August 1976: Boeing YC-14

lZAjCpc.png

The YC-14 was Boeing's entry into the Advanced Medium STOL Transport  competition, aiming to replace the Lockheed C-130. It Competed against the McDonnell Douglas YC-15, but neither were accepted. The knowledge gained from test flights, plus the unique characteristics of both aircraft would influence the design of the very successful C-17 Globemaster III.

967px-Yc14-1_072.jpg

The YC-14's Design employed a 'super-critical' airfoil, which reduced transonic drag; this allowed a higher top speed while maintaining lift at low speeds.

AfQI9xm.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: NAA Part Count: 132 Mass: 36.7 Tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 11km Powerplant: 4x Panther Top Speed: 270m/s Dimensions: 22.3 x 26.7 x 9.0 LWH

This KSP model is definitely an ugly duckling if I ever saw one: had a custom cockpit, scrapped it due to drag issues. Otherwise, this model flies very well and is true to its STOL design in real life: I achieved a 370m takeoff roll with full fuel, empty cargo bays. It's a pretty forgiving plane in the air; super rugged, but requires some pitch-up attitude for level flight. 1 Toggles Afterburners, 2 Toggles Leading Edge Flaps.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/Boeing-YC-14

Tomorrow's Craft: McDonnell Douglas YC-15

7 hours ago, Dman979 said:

Nice work on a challenging build.

What about the U2?

On 3/1/2017 at 6:04 PM, Servo said:

July 1955: Lockheed U-2 Dragon Lady

fbdDHxh.png

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/Lockheed-Martin-U-2-Dragon-Lady

Tomorrow's Craft:

McDonnell F3H Demon

Third page, most of the way down. Most people don't associate the U-2 with the Korean era, but it was introduced in 1955.

If you have any questions about other craft we have done/are doing, here's our craft manifest:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kkANtYEsmLN2zupWLUILIaLZDmywarX2TiCqKSpoPlY/edit?usp=sharing

August 1975: McDonnell Douglas YC-15

CGwO28v.png

The YC-15 is McDonnell Douglas' entry into the AMST STOL competition, competing with the previously uploaded Boeing YC-14. Neither aircraft was accepted, but McDonnell Douglas used the design of their YC-15 as a basis for the successful and reliable C-17 Globemaster. The resemblance is pretty obvious. Like the YC-14, the ‘dash-15’ uses a ‘supercritical’ airfoil, allowing up to 30% less drag at transonic speeds, but keeping drag low at landing/takeoff speeds.

090714-F-1234K-094.JPG

(Photo Credit: NMUSAF defense.gov) Unlike the YC-14, though, McDonnell Douglas' design uses a blown flap instead of an overblown wing. this means that thrust-lift can be varied from maximum to zero, very useful in creating emergency/immediate lift for short-field operations. This model does not duplicate those effects because it isn’t useful in the KSP aerodynamics model.

E7IXF1D.png

Replica Statistics

Builder: NAA Part Count: 151 Mass: 40.5 Tons Crew: 2
Service Ceiling: 9000m Powerplant: 4x Panther (No A/B) Top Speed: 240m/s Dimensions: 31.8 x 26.4 x 8.7 LWH

This plane is a great flyer; expect 400m takeoff rolls or less when  cargo bay is empty. Assuming you don’t clip parts, the cargo store volume is full long before weight capacity is reached, so it can take literally anything you can fit.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/NorthAmericanAviation/McDonnell-Douglas-YC-15
(This is definitely a personal favorite.)
Tomorrow's Craft: McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender

NAA and I will on spring break this coming week, and I'll be leaving the States for the duration. Because of that, JotD will have a short hiatus from tomorrow until we return on either the 16th or 17th, depending on how jet-lagged I am (forgive the pun).

March 1981 - McDonnell Douglas KC-10 Extender

EUSrYjb.png

The KC-10 is a modified DC-10 airliner used for refueling aircraft over the entire world. KC-10s work alongside the KC-135s to allow globe-spanning range for the U.S. military’s fleet of fighter, bomber, and transport aircraft.

125507-aircraft-fa-18-hornet-kc-10-exten

The KC-10 was developed in response to the realization that the KC-135 fleet was aging, and lacked the capabilities required for the modern battlefields that would come in the late 70’s and 80’s. Two long-range airliners were considered, the Boeing 747 and the DC-10, with the latter ultimately being chosen thanks to its shorter takeoff roll. The KC-10 was outfitted with both boom and probe-and-drogue refueling capabilities, allowing it to refuel aircraft from all branches of the armed forces. Above you can see both systems clearly. The F/A-18 which is refueling is using the probe-and-drogue favored by the Navy and Marine Corps, and the rigid boom tucked under the tail us used by the Army.

7DHHguZ.png

Replica Statistics:

Builder: Servo Part Count: 235 Mass: 87.1 tons Crew: 1
Top Speed: 200 m/s Service Ceiling: 8km Powerplant: 13x Wheesley Dimensions: 38.88 x 32.36 x 11.14 LWH

This replica’s boom is ironically less reliable than my KC-135 (if you’re looking to actually refuel craft in mid-air, go with the KC-135), but handles much better, and has longer range. It has half the engines, and is only about 40 m/s slower in level flight. However, it handles much better, and is surprisingly acrobatic for a plane of its size. In order to lower the boom, use 2, and then 1. To recover, hit 1, then 2 once it redocks.

Download Link:

https://kerbalx.com/servo/KC-10-Extender

Next Craft:

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet

2 minutes ago, Heckspress said:

where have you guys gone?

On 4/6/2017 at 10:39 PM, Servo said:

NAA and I will on spring break this coming week, and I'll be leaving the States for the duration. Because of that, JotD will have a short hiatus from tomorrow until we return on either the 16th or 17th, depending on how jet-lagged I am (forgive the pun).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.