Suggestion: making Gilly's low orbit higher.

This is a simple suggestion, really: Gilly's low orbit is at 6 km max. As a result, because of it's unevenness, you can crash into a mountain even while slightly above the limit, as the montains climb to up to 7 km. This is quite frustrating while you're trying to collect science, as low orbit is more profitable than high orbit, so you try to get all biomes, you time warp and suddenly BOOM you probe is toasted.

So my suggestion is simple: raise it to 8 km. This way, you can safely be over the highest terrain.

No, that's not big, but it's a quality of life thing for the members of the Gilly fan club I am a member of.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

If gilly orbited 6Km`s above Eve, it would be severely inside Eve`s atmosphere. It would be deorbited long ago, or 5 hours into gameplay (It doesn't however, planets are fixed objects with fixed trajectories. They cannot have changed orbits unless inside their Configs...)

I do not approve of this suggestion...

7 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

If gilly orbited 6Km`s above Eve, it would be severely inside Eve`s atmosphere. It would be deorbited long ago, or 5 hours into gameplay (It doesn't however, planets are fixed objects with fixed trajectories. They cannot have changed orbits unless inside their Configs...)

I do not approve of this suggestion...

I think you misunderstood: I meant, low orbit of a craft AROUND Gilly, not Gilly's orbit, as I feel like it's anoying to get the "low in space around Gilly" experiments

Just now, MinimalMinmus said:

I think you misunderstood: I meant, low orbit of a craft AROUND Gilly, not Gilly's orbit, as I feel like it's anoying to get the "low in space around Gilly" experiments

Ahhhhhhh... I misunderstood. Sorry!

Hmmmmm, it seems it may be a challenge. I wont judge this, it makes it challenging but the deltaV to get in a high orbit is not a lot...

8 minutes ago, ment18 said:

But it would make landing on Gilly even worse.  Having to fall another 2km at 4x time warp....  Also if you are grinding science it is incredibly easy for the vehicle to land and get lots more science, and its not that tedious to land in three different biomes.

I'm pretty sure the limit for x5 time warp is 5 km no matter the body, whether it is Tylo or Gilly, if there is no athmosphere.

Okay, what I said is false, but I don't think it depends on the altitude of the "In space near X" limit.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

I just got to Gilly for the 1st time ever and here my thoughts as a new visitor:

The low "space near" still being a danger zone gives some challenge to Gilly.  I like that it's the opposite of just about every other world in that you need to be constantly aware of how close you are or will be once that mountain comes around.  It's a different kind of challenge  There are only 3 biomes, so not like you need to spend more than 1/2 an orbit getting all the "space near" results in triplicate.

On the other hand, Gilly is tedious and dreadfully boring to orbit around while 8km and under.  The 8km warp barrier needs to be brought lower (maybe 7km?) and the max warp limits moved up a notch.  Spent way to much time at 4x physics warp and still felt like the 1st warp range was slow once I got to 8km.  I ended up just rocketing around at 50-100m/s manually adjusting my heading to get where I wanted to go in a reasonable time.

EDIT:  Also the size of map view Gilly and physical Gilly not matching was frustrating.  The map mode Gilly is way smaller than the real one.

Edited by Amechwarrior

On 6.02.2017 at 5:05 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

This is a simple suggestion, really: Gilly's low orbit is at 6 km max. As a result, because of it's unevenness, you can crash into a mountain even while slightly above the limit, as the montains climb to up to 7 km. This is quite frustrating while you're trying to collect science

What kind of science are you collecting that you need to stay in Gilly low orbit long enough that you crash? Why are you even entering Gilly low orbit?

After you land on Gilly and collect science from whatever biome you're in, press any rotation key, say, W, and your probe will flip over, bump the surface and you'll have a good three minutes to collect all the science you need from "Gilly Low" in "suborbital flight".

The only thing you'd want to place in Gilly orbit are relays and scansats, and you don't want these in LOW orbit. There's absolutely no point in entering Gilly orbit for any other purposes - you just point your craft where you want to fly, and fly there, treating Gilly as an oversized, gravitationless asteroid.

1 minute ago, Sharpy said:

What kind of science are you collecting that you need to stay in Gilly low orbit long enough that you crash? Why are you even entering Gilly low orbit?

After you land on Gilly and collect science from whatever biome you're in, press any rotation key, say, W, and your probe will flip over, bump the surface and you'll have a good three minutes to collect all the science you need from "Gilly Low" in "suborbital flight".

The only thing you'd want to place in Gilly orbit are relays and scansats, and you don't want these in LOW orbit. There's absolutely no point in entering Gilly orbit for any other purposes - you just point your craft where you want to fly, and fly there, treating Gilly as an oversized, gravitationless asteroid.

While I did land with the probe in question, it wasn't a dedicated lander, so I wanted to land only once. So, I wanted to orbit Gilly to rack the points from the graviolimeter and DMagic's telescope.

I could have done what you said, indeed, but it would have been rather tedious compared to the standard "polar orbit science rack" you can do with absolutely every bodies but Gilly.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I too like that Gilly is unique in this way. It's only tedious because you can't time warp.

Yeah, but it's rather weird how you can do a safe low orbit on every bodies BUT Gilly. Thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense for the KASA to say "Hmm. Let's say we put Gilly's low orbit... THERE!" "But sir, we would crash in a mountain!" "I SAID THERE!"

Editted P.S: I am agreeing too for the weird time warp limit. It can be tampered by doing an antiradial burn, but the 5x warp and possibly even 10x warp should carry on to 0 meter. Also P.S: That's why I use betterTimeWarp

Edited by MinimalMinmus

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I too like that Gilly is unique in this way. It's only tedious because you can't time warp.

. It's only tedious because you can't time warp AND move at the absolutely hopeless orbital speed instead of powering towards the destination in a straight line in 4x phys-warp.

11 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

...it doesn't make much sense for the KASA to say...

KASA didn't say it. It's dictated by whatever physical parameters are present on the body. In order to get significantly different results you have to be below the mountaintops.

Saying KASA decided high/low space values is like saying they decided that Kerbin's atmosphere would end at 70km.

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

KASA didn't say it. It's dictated by whatever physical parameters are present on the body. In order to get significantly different results you have to be below the mountaintops.

Saying KASA decided high/low space values is like saying they decided that Kerbin's atmosphere would end at 70km.

The KASA could always ask "How much can we approach Gilly before it gets dangerous?" and adapt the low pass to the results. I mean, even if it is indeed the best to go as close as possible to a body, you may want to do it safely, do you? I'm pretty sure Dawn didn't orbit Dres Ceres at a polar orbit 500 m away from the surface for nothing.

• 6 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.