Which languages do you speak?

NSEP

9 hours ago, JWS said:

Korean as native, English, a little bit of japanese. Surprised to see you guys can speak so many languages, which makes me somewhat embarrassing.

Don't be embarrassed, this thread is incredibly biased. Almost everybody in this thread speaks at least two or more languages. That's why they posted in this tread after all. But for those who only speak one language there is very little to no reason to post here. Besides that not every culture is equal. For a lot of (older) people in certain countries it is still very normal to not speak a second language. For others it very normal to start teaching children a second or third language at an early age.

For me, being Dutch, is was very normal to learn English as a child and French and German as a teenager. (I dropped French as it just didn't agree with me.) And since I live in a rural area with a lot of tourism (about a third of them is German) it's pretty much vital.

Edited by Tex_NL

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Don't be embarrassed, this thread is incredibly biased. Almost everybody in this thread speaks at least two or more languages. That's why they posted in this tread after all. But for those who only speak one language there is very little to no reason to post here. Besides that not every culture is equal. For a lot of (older) people in certain countries it is still very normal to not speak a second language. For others it very normal to start teaching children a second or third language at an early age.

For me, being Dutch, is was very normal to learn English as a child and French and German as a teenager. (I dropped French as it just didn't agree with me.) And since I live in a rural area with a lot of tourism (about a third of them is German) it's pretty much vital.

Thanks for your kind reply, Tex_NL.

I know that not much people can speak multiple languages fluently, and this reply to this thread is pretty biased. (Of course, I don't mean to offend the users who speak various languages)

I was rather whinning about myself, spent so much time drinking and playing video games. Except for KSP, which taught me the language of mathematics and physics, a little bit.

Anyway, thanks again for your encouraging response. Hoping you have a nice weekend.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:57 AM, Tex_NL said:

And just enough French and Spanish to explain I do not speak French or Spanish.

Me too.

British English (I may be native born American but it's spelled colour not color!), Morse code, a fair amount of Mandarin Chinese and Latin. a pinch of Russian (I know the Cyrillic alphabet though), and taking German!

Edit: Oh, and the Treble Clef!

Edited by ThaZeus

#the pretty-goods

English (native)

Esperanto

Romanian

#the kinda-okay

Spanish

Can get a bit of other romances, and have heard enough of a few russian family languages to get a tiny little bit of it.

English. Standard, Geordie and West Country. Ow bist ol but indeed.

Thanks to World of Tanks I can be rude in approximately 37 languages.

Italian as long as the words have appeared in Vespa or Lambretta manuals.

Can order beer anywhere that serves it.

-English (No Shtuff sherlock)

-French (As mandated by the Canadian education system)

-German (Learned some on Duolingo after discovering it)

-Danish (Since my grandmother was Danish, I've learned it on Duolingo)

-Latvian (Since my grandfather was Latvian)

GZ @NSEP for totm.

For me, to make clear some of my Communication problems maybe.

German with heavy Russian Accent (to much rrrrr...)

Russian with heavy German Accent (to much sch....)

I understand and read English but absolutely low Practice in speak and writing..

I understand most of east European languages and latin based west European. To get some food and find a place for sleep is enough. 

And i can Swear in Tadshik Kirgis Afgan Pakistan Turkmenian and a small Bit Chinese....

Because i was born in middle Asia as a European.

And as i write mostly woth mobile at forum with german T9... pure chaos...

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

• 2 months later...

Ich Spreche Deutsch!

Je Parle Français! 

However my main language is English, although I do have dreams of Speaking Russian, Irish Gaelic and Welsh (It's a real shame that Rosetta Stone does not offer Instructional programming on Welsh or Irish Gaelic.) 

On 3/9/2017 at 5:57 AM, Tex_NL said:

Well versed in Dutch, English and German. (In order of fluency)

English, and some German and Spanish.

I traveled for a while in Nepal (a long time ago) with a Dutch couple (trekking, and we all walked the same speed, so we were together day after day) and made the mistake of playing Scrabble with them :wink: . They were quite good playing in English (we all won and lost games), then my buddy and I suggested playing the same board with English and Dutch (they were limited to Dutch words, we were limited to English). They wiped the floor with us, lol. Loads of letter combinations simply not possible in English, lol.

Primarily American English, but I know a bit of Spanish (enough to read anything, have basic conversations, and count to 100)

can count to 3 in Japanese 

can say a very mean phrase in German ( has to do with a certain finger) as well as "no"

and call people pigs in Arabic.

Native english/american (take your pick. I come from america, so it might not be proper English). I'm studying french at the moment (not fluent yet, but getting there) and I've grown up with dutch, so I know some of that too.

On 6/18/2017 at 2:41 PM, Overfloater said:

I know English, but nobody to speak it with. :P

Speak with us!

Edited by qzgy

On 3/1/2017 at 4:45 PM, NSEP said:

And Dutch is the hardest language out there. I mean, the word for sample in dutch is monster. So yeah.

Hmm. I'd like to disagree with you there. Have you seen the crap that english is?

In fairness, I've only really known how to speak/read dutch. Spelling may be harder

Edited by qzgy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.