Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

if you take off with boosters, get into space, and land you'll qualify for somethin.

lol... i can do that fin with my rockets, its when i try to get an airbreather hybrid to do it that it gets to be rough... or getting a rocket assist-that can glide better than a rock (and i know... the STS's were bathtubs with wings, but i think they could have done something a LITTLE more graceful! :sticktongue: )

8 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

lol... i can do that fin with my rockets, its when i try to get an airbreather hybrid to do it that it gets to be rough... or getting a rocket assist-that can glide better than a rock (and i know... the STS's were bathtubs with wings, but i think they could have done something a LITTLE more graceful! :sticktongue: )

Well whatever you manage to throw together... it won't be any stranger than my recent attempt.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

STS-3

MODS:

Spoiler

Shuttle:

The same mods as on STS-1A . (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/156151-shuttle-challenge-v4-the-12x-sts-thread-stock-and-mod-friendly-new-mission-100217/&do=findComment&comment=3057306)

Payload:

DMagic Orbital Science for the scientific equipment.

Near Future Construction for the base truss.

Near Future Solar/Electric for the panels.

Cormorant Aeronology for the MMUs.

And SpaceY for the launcher.

I also put a burger in space.

Edited by telomce

This ought to count for something.

Unfortunately, even after extensive testing, this Shuttle could not lift the 40-ton payload. However, if it squeezed in a little, it could play hide-and-go-seek within the 40-ton payload's fuel tanks.

Nevertheless, this Shuttle does what is asked of it: it flies up, it flies down, and it can carry massive payloads of over a tenth of a ton in the process. Completely stock, too, so that's nice.

Bagel

My Airbreathing-Hybrid Orbiter... It looks like an SSTO, but for the purposes of this challenge? It doesnt have enough fuel to attain a stable orbit on its own (unless I'm seriously screwing up somewhere). It's bare-bones here; no radio, no cargo, and only Jeb and Bill for crew. Seating for 6, and i have plans for a rescue can for when I get that far... does this qualify? or do I need another run with my wife tapping the F1 key every few seconds for me? I can do that...

Edited by argentrolf
it triple posted for some reason...

On 5/19/2017 at 7:39 PM, telomce said:

A little question about the STS-3 challenge - can the MMUs be merged with the panels? So it's like a kerbal sits on top of the panel and then docks it.

It's supposed to be separate MMU's I'm afraid!

On 5/19/2017 at 7:52 PM, XLjedi said:

My submission for STS-2a Commander Achievement  ...oh and, "HAIL KRAKEN!"

Hail Kraken indeed!  Excellent story and mission report well done!  I like the Mohawk stabilisers :)  WUvoQpP.jpg

On 5/19/2017 at 11:16 PM, overkill13 said:

Finally finished up STS-4R with more theatrics.

Mods:  Trajectories, Precise Node, KER, KAC, DPAI

Firstly - Skunkworks just for doing the payload extraction and installation using an actual vehicle designed to do the job rather than a click of the button.  Mullet Dyne in the face of losing millions of :funds: are willing to forgive this small loss of payload in light of the oohs and ahhs it brought to the event.  km1jmmp.jpg

Excellent rescue mission, and a well earned badge!  Can't wait to see your station!  yCCnUU7.jpg

On 5/20/2017 at 7:51 PM, telomce said:

STS-3

Ah I think you did it anyway.  No worries I had a look back through previous versions of the challenge which had done something similar so not to worry!  Have a  badge!  MvCxjCK.jpg Also commendations on the space burger :)

22 hours ago, BagelRabbit said:

This ought to count for something.

Ahha, do I recognize this from the weekly challenge?  Nope that was @ShadowZone:

Anyway great effort!  I'm sure that it's been done lighter/smaller but this thing is so cute!  Much shuttle, so badge!  Rvs3vgQ.jpg

42 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

My Airbreathing-Hybrid Orbiter...

Welcome to the challenge!  Can you post some pictures of the craft in the VAB/SPH or on the launch pad as there's no pictures of your launch vehicle which the mission report mentions.  Just want to see it so I can award you the badge :)

SM

1 minute ago, argentrolf said:

@Speeding Mullet, np, here is the combination on the launchpad, ready for a night launch attempt at improving (landing at KSC instead of the north pole, lol)

Ah yes!  Very clearly a shuttle.  Got to be careful you see - Some sneaky Kerbals try and sneak secret SSTO's past me :D.  Have a badge, and again welcome to the challenge!  Rvs3vgQ.jpg

SM

7 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Mullet Dyne in the face of losing millions of :funds: are willing to forgive this small loss of payload in light of the oohs and ahhs it brought to the event.  km1jmmp.jpg

We're currently in negotiations with the payload insurance provider, but you know how they can be.  They say it didn't launch, we say that engines were ignited, which should constitute a launch.  I think we have a case.  Thank you, good sir.

31 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

how can i put my badge on my comentarys?:/

It's a bit hidden and not entirely intuitive... but you need to edit your signature.

You'll find "Edit Signature" under "Account Settings"  (look at your username dropdown upper right of screen)

Save the picture of the badge somewhere like IMGUR, then you can add the URL to your signature to make it appear.

5 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

It's a bit hidden and not entirely intuitive... but you need to edit your signature.

You'll find "Edit Signature" under "Account Settings"  (look at your username dropdown upper right of screen)

Save the picture of the badge somewhere like IMGUR, then you can add the URL to your signature to make it appear.

thanks i have it already

On 5/22/2017 at 2:54 AM, Speeding Mullet said:

Have a badge... Rvs3vgQ.jpg

So, I figured out how to put my medals in... and since that img file is maintained by a 3rd party site, its easy.... but how exactly do i put in the badges? same way I post screenshots?

Just now, argentrolf said:

So, I figured out how to put my medals in... and since that img file is maintained by a 3rd party site, its easy.... but how exactly do i put in the badges? same way I post screenshots?

Right click, copy image address, paste into signature.

3 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

@overkill13, cool, and thanks... btw, which is considered the more challenging? stock or modded?

They are considered similar in difficulty . However you may always try to make your attempt interesting adding more complexity or restraints(mine was a low tech shuttle, mentioned to the weird shuttle award (alas make it a real award and I will make a 'serious' attempt).

Also, while some mods will make reduce the difficult (more parts, more options), other may seriously increase it (scaled up system, life support, etc)

2 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

They are considered similar in difficulty . However you may always try to make your attempt interesting adding more complexity or restraints...

so it wouldnt be a big deal to try a run stock, and a second run using difficulty mods and added parts?

1 minute ago, argentrolf said:

so it wouldnt be a big deal to try a run stock, and a second run using difficulty mods and added parts?

That is personal opnion. I can say what I find Impressive, but the guy next post may  just think "meh!".

My suggestion its to just try what you think is more fun. Which also is personal opinion, you may consider fun to be challenging, laborious, big, small, modded, stock or anything. So we can just wish you luck or maybe, if you share what is in your mind, try to point you in the right direction.

15 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

I'm doing a stock and modded run concurrently in the same save. KAC is probably the one reason I haven't missed a burn yet, with normally 3 shuttles on missions at the same time. Some mods wouldn't work with this, though, but parts mods work.

17 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

Just my opinion, but I'm more impressed with stock.  You can also share your craft and it's guaranteed anyone will be able to verify your design and play your mission.

13 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

if you share what is in your mind, try to point you in the right direction.

and thats actually why i would like to do both runs... stock to show what i know/dont know, and modded because i like realism and challenge .I'm trying to pick mods that reflect both a realistic system (e.g. atmo and gravity), as well as adding parts/functions that actually exist in most space programs... problem i run into is that not all of those functions existed until they were needed in an emergency (on-board spares redundancies from Apollo13, and Shuttle Rescue from Colombia) or because tech had to advance far enough to make it practical (external docking transfers, and cctv).

so im not the only one that gets random double posts, lol

so im not the only one that gets random double posts, lol

:mad: really...?

Edited by argentrolf