Speeding Mullet

totm
Shuttle Challenge v4 - The 1.2.x STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [NEW MISSION 10.02.17]

284 posts in this topic

I reworked my shuttle again for STS-3. This Mk4 version has more cargo capacity and handles less like a brick.

Mods used: lots of parts mods (B9, NearFuture and such), TweakScale, KJR, KER, Trajectories.

1 person likes this

I have just completed the STS-1A using Mk 2 parts. I have used a modded install using the following mods:

B9 Procedural Parts

RSB Stockalike

RealChute

Procedural Parts

Mark One Laboratory Extensions

Probe Plus

Kerbalism

Spacex Launchers Pack

Tweakable Everything

Tweakscale

RealFuels Stockalike

Mk2 Extensions

64K scale

Mechjeb (DeltaV only.)

RemoteTech

Trajectories

I think that was all of the mods, I had quite a few more installed but those are the ones I used (150ish). It was probably a bad idea to use 64K as this is the first shuttle I have made and the DeltaV requirements are about double what was otherwise needed. Here are the images:

I landed near by not at the KSC, as I overshot. I might try again another time but this was the mission. If you want the craft file, it is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7CVQZnOD4PJSzlabFhENWI4bTA .

Edited by Wardstone111
Added another mod to the list
1 person likes this

On 24. 3. 2017 at 8:04 PM, Fdkhio said:

I can never make a shuttle work:/

just do it like me, strap on some rockets on plane

Will check in on Tuesday night, have a big meeting this afternoon which ill run into the evening late.

Cheers

SM

14 hours ago, foobar said:

I reworked my shuttle again for STS-3. This Mk4 version has more cargo capacity and handles less like a brick.

Mods used: lots of parts mods (B9, NearFuture and such), TweakScale, KJR, KER, Trajectories.

Nice looking shuttle.  One tip: it is better to have the shuttle main engines further back, as that allows for them to be less tilted. 

What payload capacity does that shuttle have to LKO?

5 hours ago, Nefrums said:

Nice looking shuttle.  One tip: it is better to have the shuttle main engines further back, as that allows for them to be less tilted. 

What payload capacity does that shuttle have to LKO?

Thanks for the tip. Does less tilt translate to less torque change throughout the launch? Seems like with any tilt at all, the main engines are unusable after separating the fuel tank.

In terms of mass, I haven't tested anything beyond the 40T fuel pod. It probably can't do much more than that without using larger engines ... the TWR is barely enough to keep it in the air at launch. But more space means I can fit oddly-shaped things and side-by-side payloads, which is nice.

3 hours ago, foobar said:

Thanks for the tip. Does less tilt translate to less torque change throughout the launch? Seems like with any tilt at all, the main engines are unusable after separating the fuel tank.

The engines need to gimball less if the they are further from the CoM. so they can handle more shift in CoM.  Moving the fueltank (and hence CoM) forward also helps.

If the main engines are tilted more then they can gimbal they can't be used after separation of the fuel tank.  But they should not be, only the vacuum engines should be used after tanks separation.

If twr is the problem try scaling up those vector engines.

Edited by Nefrums