Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

I am blowing through this challenge! Here's my rescue mission. Stock, except for the explosives I used to damage the first shuttle to simulate the damage to Columbia.

Edited by zpj

Hello there, long time no see :)

As I promised a few pages ago, I designed a working space shuttle for RSS/RO - meet "Crippen shuttle concept B" (Don't ask about concept A, we don't talk about concept A).

Y6llu5b.png

It is heavily based on the original space shuttle design, with slight differences in the OMS system and orbiter weigh/lift ratio - mine is a bit lighter with more lift, thus more forgiving during reentry. Still, it's no easy task to land the thing from orbit without losing anything.

So far, I managed to complete the first mission - on my test flight I achieved 300x300 km orbit, deployed a test payload of cca 13,5 tonnes, and successfully landed back at Kourou space centre.

Here's an imgur album of the mission:

The reentry and landing approach is the most difficult thing in RSS/RO, not just because of the inclination, but mainly for the size of the planet - ten times bigger than Kerbin. It takes about one hour from the entry burn to the touchdown, and there is almost no room for error. But as I got the basics right, I expect the next missions to go much smoother - I'm curious which missions I'll be able to complete (definitely nothing beyond LEO, but still.)

I hope everything is properly documented,

It was nice to do some shuttle flying again :)

Michal.don

@Krakenist - Looks good for your first shuttle.

Things to improve

- For one, it looks like your main shuttle engines are pointed straight through the centerline of the actual shuttle - Try having them point at the CoM in the VAB to make ascent easier.
- You could also include some OMS engines - seperate engines used for maneuvering.
 - How is the CoL/CoM placement of the shuttle? It could be that when dry, the CoL (blue dot) is in front of the CoM (yellow dot), making it flip easily, as you found out. Also, try moving the tail farther back to help with stability.

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

@Krakenist - Looks good for your first shuttle.

Things to improve

- For one, it looks like your main shuttle engines are pointed straight through the centerline of the actual shuttle - Try having them point at the CoM in the VAB to make ascent easier.
- You could also include some OMS engines - seperate engines used for maneuvering.
 - How is the CoL/CoM placement of the shuttle? It could be that when dry, the CoL (blue dot) is in front of the CoM (yellow dot), making it flip easily, as you found out. Also, try moving the tail farther back to help with stability.

My shuttle has the SSME pointed straight up, with another engine on the fuel tank, similar to some of the stock ones.

CONS: 

• Requires active tweaking of the thrust limiter on the SSME

PROS:

• Use the tweaking on the SSME to give it incredible pitch control, by throttling the SSME up or down
  • Easy to build
  • Doesn't require a redesign due to a different payload

58 minutes ago, zpj said:

My shuttle has the SSME pointed straight up, with another engine on the fuel tank, similar to some of the stock ones.

CONS: 

• Requires active tweaking of the thrust limiter on the SSME

PROS:

• Use the tweaking on the SSME to give it incredible pitch control, by throttling the SSME up or down
  • Easy to build
  • Doesn't require a redesign due to a different payload

See, the real thing also has the engines pointed inwards instead of straight up. Im kinda basing it off of that.

My shuttle though is horizontal launch, so the engines on the booster are pointed upwards, but on the main shuttle orbiter, the engines are also pretty much straight. If not, I put a bunch of reaction wheels.:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Hey guys heres my 

I guess Vens Stock parts does add a few parts and also includes new models etc.  I know 98% is unchanged according to the OP, but that's a 2% part change which makes the shuttle non stock really.  Sorry to be a stickler, but don't let it take anything away from your awesome shuttle!  7RNmgnC.jpg

13 hours ago, zpj said:

I am blowing through this challenge! Here's my rescue mission. Stock, except for the explosives I used to damage the first shuttle to simulate the damage to Columbia.

Got to love seeing two shuttles in orbit.  Nice explosions by the way!  YaW2NZ8.jpg

6 hours ago, michal.don said:

Hello there, long time no see :)

Couldn't stay away hey?  I wonder how far you will be able to get.  I reckon with your skill you can go beyond LKO.  I dare you infact, and seeing as you have completed everything already you can pick and choose your missions as you please with this one!  Awesome effort and great looking shuttle.  Now bolt a super ugly edifice to it and go land an asteroid :wink:  8joD5Di.jpg  Also, if you felt like thinking about a new mission (within one of the categories) I'm sure I would entertain the proposition!

5 hours ago, Krakenist said:

Here is my entry for STS 1a which is actually my first shuttle

The album is here

Tips on shuttle design please

Welcome to the challenge - I foresee great things and lots of explosions :)  To start with here's your badge:  Rvs3vgQ.jpg  @qzgy is right - The biggest thing I could see instantly was that your tail needs to be much further back which will help you a lot with stability.  The other thing you could do is to add a body flap to that shuttle.  Check out this thread for some development tips also:

(Really time I overhauled that thread and updated my Buran!  Haven't flown a shuttle mission since V3 of this challenge, largely because of this challenge to be honest!)

SM

5 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I reckon with your skill you can go beyond LKO.

I'm afraid it won't happen. Once in orbit, it's not that much about skill, but rather about mr. Tsiolkovski's rules - you need loads of fuel to go anywhere, and in RSS it's really hard to haul the fuel to LEO. Just a lunar flyby is about 6,400 m/s of delta-V, because aerobraking from that kind of speeds is not possible in the shuttle - it's on the verge of burning up even from LEO. And my shuttle has about 2,000 m/s in the tanks after ascent, when launching with an empty cargo bay.

If only there was a way to pack a lightweight, high-efficiency propulsion system in the cargo bay.... Well.... Im not really sure that it's possible, but,

to the drawing board then! :)

It probably won't happen, but it's worth a try. I might try in a few days/weeks, because my exams are approaching, and I have Mars to conquer in my carreer save.

Michal.don

One clarification please... 

I don't understand the Pilot/Commander Level 2 requirement of "Geostationary Orbit"? 

If that's truly a requirement for both Pilot and Commander, a synchronous or geostationary orbit of Kerbin would be at a perfectly circular 2,863.33km altitude for both the pilot and commander rank?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Synchronous_orbit

Did you really mean the satellites need to be at equivalent orbits and equidistant from one another?  ...which seems to be the implication based on the minimum altitude requirement in each case.

STS-2a in the same craft.

Mods are the same as in the STS-1A. (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/156151-shuttle-challenge-v4-the-12x-sts-thread-stock-and-mod-friendly-new-mission-100217/&do=findComment&comment=3057306)

When I finished the mission I realised those were NOT relay antennae. But technically I did the challenge, right? right? RIGHT? :/

6 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I don't understand the Pilot/Commander Level 2 requirement of "Geostationary Orbit"? 

If that's truly a requirement for both Pilot and Commander, a synchronous or geostationary orbit of Kerbin would be at a perfectly circular 2,863.33km altitude for both the pilot and commander rank?

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Synchronous_orbit

Did you really mean the satellites need to be at equivalent orbits and equidistant from one another?  ...which seems to be the implication based on the minimum altitude requirement in each case.

Actually, yes. The satellites should be placed in stationary orbit and spread around it. (precision margin is not specified, just get them close to this state)

Now read it carefully - satellites. No need to bring the shuttle this high (yes, there were a few entries with driving the entire orbiter up there, one of them mine - but you don't have to). Just get to parking orbit, release the satellites and drive them to KSO using their own propulsion.
If you need an example of doing it this way (and using gyrostabilization for it) you can check this video (entry disqualified for... pulling off SSTO)

P.S. The reason for total overkills on this mission is simple - if you take something capable of reaching LKO with 40t payload, it is likely to reach KSO with just a few small satellites in the payload bay. Or even get in orbit around Duna with a station module...

Edited by Alchemist

Xyzzy aerospace presents:

SUNKWERKS I

A deliberate attempt at getting the Skunkworks badge. Yep.

km1jmmp.jpg

I got halfway through when KSP crashed so while I do the mission again, you can have this:

It flies, I promise.

EDIT: Turns out, it needs more boosters for MJ to fly it.

Edited by icantmakemodels

10 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

SUNKWERKS I

If that's the second stage, I can't imagine what the first looks like.

Spoiler

Actually I can. It's a good thousand tons of boosters.

ED: A question to SM/Alchemist - Is Interstellar mod viable? These things are big and weighty.

Edited by telomce

17 hours ago, michal.don said:

to the drawing board then! :)

I guess you can have one support launch for going outside of LKO!

17 hours ago, XLjedi said:

@Alchemist is of course right again.  thanks Alchemist!

12 hours ago, telomce said:

STS-2a in the same craft.

Very nicely done, you are proving your shuttle worthy.  Have fun with the next mission :)  P83gnaC.jpg

10 hours ago, icantmakemodels said:

SUNKWERKS I

Backwards to space in a Shuttle.  Possibly, but not guaranteed :wink:  Look forward to the full mission report!

1 hour ago, telomce said:

ED: A question to SM/Alchemist - Is Interstellar mod viable? These things are big and weighty.

Yeah use interstellar if you so wish.  Definitely modded category.  Take the Shuttle to another star system and you can have internet points!

SM

My submission for STS-2a Commander Achievement  ...oh and, "HAIL KRAKEN!"

All parts are stock and no significant mods to speak of and I haven't bothered with Mech-Jeb yet.  The craft file and details are also available for detailed review by clicking on the blueprint...  I thought the little "Krak-Sats" were pretty cool!

Krakonian_Marauder.png

Edited by XLjedi

31 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

i would like to participate, but im not entirely sure i understand all of the missions properly....

Just start with STS-1a and work your way up...  if you take off with boosters, get into space, and land you'll qualify for somethin.