Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [THREAD CLOSED 06.08.17]

Just had a though/idea... what exactly is the definition of a shuttle and ssto for the purpose of this challenge?

I ask because i remembered a multistage idea i heard once. the concept is:

1. aircraft equipped with sequential (not asparagus) boosters that takes off from a runway and ascends to the limits of its airbreathing engines.

2. aircraft ignites outboard rockets to boost into the upper atmosphere

3. eject outboard rockets and ignite next-in-sequence

4. repeat until low orbit is attained

5. onboard lfo engines power craft into stable orbit and return.

6. craft enters atmosphere at low speed and shallow descent/high aoa

7. craft flies to and lands at base with airbreathing engines.

would that be considered an ssto here, despite the staged boosters?

4 hours ago, argentrolf said:

what exactly is the definition of a shuttle and ssto for the purpose of this challenge?

You may have to ask @Speeding Mullet for the specifics, but an SSTO is defined as a craft that does not need to be sperated in any way, shape or form to be launched into a stable orbit. A shuttle must be staged at least once. I'm not sure whether the craft you described would be considered a shuttle or an SSTO.

On 5/23/2017 at 2:08 PM, biomecaman said:

Sts 3 and! Sts 4!

Very nicely done!  I can only award you Pilot for STS 3 as the orbit was not inclined or above 500km, but I liked the telescope, very interesting design!  kNqUcoq.jpg  For STS 4 the requirement for pilot is for an orbit of above 200km, so unfortunately I cannot technically award you the badge :(

14 hours ago, argentrolf said:

btw, which is considered the more challenging? stock or modded?

They are both as challenging as you want to make them, play the game however you like.  This challenge has gone well past the realm of "real" in it's current form and with some of the submissions (I mean someone thunder-punched a shuttle to orbit with a gigantic pair of fire fists for Kraken's sake) so yeah, seriously just have fun and do what you want, no one is going to break down your game-play style, especially in this thread.

9 hours ago, argentrolf said:

Just had a though/idea... what exactly is the definition of a shuttle and ssto for the purpose of this challenge?

I ask because i remembered a multistage idea i heard once. the concept is:

*SNIP*

would that be considered an ssto here, despite the staged boosters?

You've answered your own question twice there matey - "Multistage" and Staged Boosters".  If things drop off (Intentionally) you are good to go.

OK seriously though - The definition of a Shuttle for the purposes of this challenge is so loose these days that the only real caveat is "No pure-play SSTO".  If bits fall off to get you to space I'm happy!  If they fall off by accident it's funny, but you might not get a badge :)

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Is completing the STS-9 mission for an Astronaut badge considered completing the mission to move on to the interplanetary challenges?

PS. I moved just about yesterday, my big ol tower PC will get shipped in like a week. Working on paper now.

7 minutes ago, telomce said:

Is completing the STS-9 mission for an Astronaut badge considered completing the mission to move on to the interplanetary challenges?

PS. I moved just about yesterday, my big ol tower PC will get shipped in like a week. Working on paper now.

STS-9 is the gateway to interplanetary greatness.  Go get me a potato!

SM

STS2a / fail-ish STS2b

They won't need their fuel since it's contaminated, right?

STS-9 is the gateway to interplanetary greatness.  Go get me a potato!

So STS-3 or 8 are not enough to go beyond LKO yet? 

Also, may I launch pod for 2b mission via normal rocket? Please? Original one was alunched with shuttle and even recovered non-damaged.

Edited by battlekruiser

On 5/24/2017 at 3:54 PM, battlekruiser said:

I don't think this is what SM meant. You can go anywhere you want, and STS-2 requires you to go over LKO. But if you can manage the asteroid, you'll manage the interplanetary missions.

1 minute ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Few questions.

1. Can I use nuclear engines?

2. Can I have moving fins that move depending on where the CoM is?

3. Can I make it airbreathing in atmosphere?

I've seen no such restrictions posted...  for any of this.

20 minutes ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Few questions.

1. I've done it with no complaints.

2. I've done something similar with no complaints.

3. Since there were some early shuttle concepts that did this, I don't see why not.

Edited by 53miner53

1 hour ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Few questions.

Yeah, following what the other said, I see no problems. The terms for a shuttle is kinda lax.

3 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

3. Since there were some early shuttle concepts that did this, I don't see why not.

So that means that I can do something like Dyna-Soar right? Because it was another shuttle concept.

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

3 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Few questions.

1: My entries did. 

2: What do you mean by this? Pictures/video please. 

3: Mine has 2 panthers for atmospheric flight after re-entry. 

1 hour ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

So that means that I can do something like Dyna-Soar right? Because it was another shuttle concept.

Dyna soar is perfectly fine. Heck, I did a horizontal launch, two stage to orbit, nothing like that was made.

Question for @Speeding Mullet or anyone who is confident enough to answer - for STS-9, would it be ok to launch a tug to get the asteroid and bring it back or do I have to use my shuttle to actually visit the asteroid?

Edited by qzgy

1 hour ago, zpj said:

1: My entries did. 

2: What do you mean by this? Pictures/video please. 

3: Mine has 2 panthers for atmospheric flight after re-entry. 

I meant using IR parts to make the CoL move according to where the CoM is to improve stability.

Just now, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

I meant using IR parts to make the CoL move according to where the CoM is to improve stability.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering about structural issues. Never really played with IR.

Edited by qzgy

5 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

IR mechanisms require engineering done to do what you want them to do, as well as support stuff (i.e. struts). So as long as you make your own mechanisms (which is inevitable), you can qualify for anything.

Just stopping in to answer some questions, will probably review stuff tomorrow :)

On 5/24/2017 at 11:54 PM, battlekruiser said:

Also, may I launch pod for 2b mission via normal rocket? Please? Original one was alunched with shuttle and even recovered non-damaged.

You can go where you like, but to access the interplanetary missions you have to have completed STS 1-9.

2B is not a mandatory mission so you don't have to do it to progress.  If you've already sent a fuel pod up there, the idea is to retrieve that one.  If it's no longer in space for some reason you can smash one up there using hyperedit, or a rocket or something if you like.

11 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Few questions.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

8 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Yes.

6 hours ago, qzgy said:

for STS-9, would it be ok to launch a tug to get the asteroid and bring it back or do I have to use my shuttle to actually visit the asteroid?

The shuttle has to go and get the Asteroid, but most people launch with some sort of tug or apparatus in the cargo bay that they use to help them during the mission.

6 hours ago, SpaceEnthusiast23 said:

Yes.  You would just be in the modded category which isn't an issue.

SM

In before the next review.  STS 5-8 with a test of a new shuttle (don't worry about badges for the new one).

Almost forgot a mod list.

KER, KAC, DPAI, Trajectories, Precise Node

Shuttles: All Stock

Station: Stock parts, Tweakscale

Edited by overkill13

10 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Just stopping in to answer some questions, will probably review stuff tomorrow :)

You can go where you like, but to access the interplanetary missions you have to have completed STS 1-9.

2B is not a mandatory mission so you don't have to do it to progress.  If you've already sent a fuel pod up there, the idea is to retrieve that one.  If it's no longer in space for some reason you can smash one up there using hyperedit, or a rocket or something if you like.

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Yes.

The shuttle has to go and get the Asteroid, but most people launch with some sort of tug or apparatus in the cargo bay that they use to help them during the mission.

Yes.  You would just be in the modded category which isn't an issue.

SM

Thanks.

This is my first shuttle ever. It is crazy hard to fly once it drops the SRBs and almost impossible to get into orbit. However, it flew, and I consider that an achievement in itself. I think this should count for STS-1

0HOR0O6.png

On the launch pad, the Shuttle Alaska stands proud.

UtZ7w3a.png

Ascent

ayuuD8l.png

Just after dropping the SRBs. You can see them exploding behind the shuttle

Ntd3itw.png

Maneuver node is set.

lIrlQT2.png

Performing the circularization burn. You can see how it wants to roll.

dHJrHTX.png

Final orbit. Took me three burns to get

Z5SnHU5.png

Preparing for reentry

bJThE4T.png

Reentry

5cixXr6.png

Forgot landing gear, so I deployed the emergency parachutes and ditched

SKLVovi.png

Safe and sound, but upside down

Edited by Cadet_BNSF

I had so much trouble with getting the alignment of LFO engines on the orbit correct I decided to do a Buran style shuttle instead.  Still ended up taking dozens of test flights to get the thing to land with the fuel pod.  

I figured while I was at it, and had some room in the cargo bay I would test out a simple MMU design for later missions. 

Everything was going perfectly fine with the mission until just before landing I pitched up too high and stalled and crashed.  Thankfully there was a random temporal anomaly that reversed time to just before landing and I was able to do it again and landed safely this time.   

I did mean to stream this mission, but hit record instead of stream and I do not want to upload a 7GB video tonight.  Might retry the mission and stream it correctly in a day or two.

Installed mods:

ABookCase Orbital Reference System (ABCORS 0.4.1.0)
Action Groups Extended (AGExt 2.2)
Alternate Resource Panel (AlternateResourcePanel v2.9.1.0)
AtmosphereAutopilot (Fly-By-Wire) (AtmosphereAutopilot v1.5.10)  (USED ONLY FOR TESTING PROPER AOA WHILE LANDING)
Automated Screenshots & Saves (AutomatedScreenshots 0.7.9)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.5.3)
Camera Focus Changer (CameraFocusChanger v1.0.1.0)
CraftHistory (CraftHistory 2.1.0)
Docking Port Alignment Indicator (DockingPortAlignmentIndicator 6.5.2)
Editor Extensions Redux (EditorExtensionsRedux 3.3.12)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Filter Extensions - Default Configuration (FilterExtensionsDefaultConfig 2.8.1.2)
Filter Extensions - Plugin (FilterExtensions 2.8.1.2)
FuseBox Continued (FuseBoxContinued 0.1.9)
Hangar Extender (HangarExtender 1:v3.4.9)
Hangar Grid (HangarGrid 0.4.0)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.3.0)  (NOT USED IN ACTUAL MISSION)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.8.4.0)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.2.8)
KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - FPSViewer (KerboKatzSmallUtilities-FPSViewer 1.5.1)
KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - PhysicalTimeRatioViewer (KerboKatzSmallUtilities-PhysicalTimeRatioViewer 1.5.1)
KerboKatzUtilities (KerboKatzUtilities 1.4.7)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.2.2-6)
KSP AVC (MiniAVC 1.0.3.0)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.6.2)
KSPDev LogConsole (KSPDev-LogConsole 1:0.13.1)
Landing Height Display (LandingHeight 2.1)
MechJeb 2 - DEV RELEASE (MechJeb2-dev 2.6.0.0-698)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.2.0.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.7.6)
NavHud (NavHud 1.3.3)
Olympic1's ARP Icons (Olympic1ARPIcons 1:v0.10.3)
Pood's Deep Star Map Skybox (PoodsDeepStarMap 1.0.0)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid v0.9.1)
ReCoupler (ReCoupler 1:1.3.0)
REPOSoftTech-Agencies (REPOSoftTech-Agencies V1.4.6.0)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0300)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.7.4.0)
Stock Visual Enhancements (StockVisualEnhancements 3:1.2.2)
Stock Visual Enhancements: Scatterer Configs (SVE-Scatterer-Config 2:1.1.6)
Stock Visual Enhancements: Sunflare (SVE-Sunflare 2:1.1.6)
Stock Visual Enhancements-High Res Textures (SVE-HighResolution 3:1.0)
Stock Visual Terrain (for Windows) (SVT-Windows 2.0.4)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v2.5.4)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.13)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.9.1.0)

Edited by armegeddon