Speeding Mullet

Shuttle Challenge v4 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] [NEW MISSION 10.02.17]

588 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sivonen said:

Makes sense, thank you. Just one more clarification that came into my mind.. Is it ok to jettison fuel with a mod? I mean I could just burn my monopropellant before landing, for me I don't see the difference with burning it with hyperedit...?

Yeah fine, it irks me that you can't jet fuel off in KSP.

SM

2 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Yeah fine, it irks me that you can't jet fuel off in KSP.

SM

While I agree this should probably be an optional part in stock KSP, the real Space Shuttle cannot dump fuel, nor can many aircraft.  I suspect engineers had concerns about sealing some kind of dump port in both space and atmosphere while still having a functional "door" for the port.  Not to mention that dumping fuel in orbit would cause some kind of propulsive effect on the shuttle itself.  STS-51 aborted and "dumped" OMS fuel by actually running the engines on the way up to it's lower orbit when one of the main engines failed.

Personally I consider it part of the challenge to adjust fuel loads to meet mission criteria.  The NukaShuttle was built for outrageous fuel capacity for the later challenges but I only launched it with the front and rear tanks full when deploying the fuel pod so it wouldn't be too heavy to land.  Worst case I could do a couple extra orbits and burn prograde for a bit and then retrograde at the same spot to burn fuel with minimal change to my orbit.

Regardless, it's your challenge, not mine.

2 people like this

And the station is finished!

Just another boring design with modular shuttle and some other ordinary things.

Part1

Part2

Part3

Part4

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

I would be sorely disappointing if you left it out my friend!  Good to see the HRO getting even more of an upgrade.  I believe one is Jool bound!

Yeah, never finished the preparations last year (actually, it's Elcanoplan-2 that was the biggest problem to redesign. But this version is not only faster - that is capable of going faster without oscillating to flip - than the original, it's also actually capable of takeoff from water. Still almost impossible to splashdown horizontally without damaging the nose).
But now I finally got to work on it a bit more.

Anyway, the mission is good to go. And what were you saying about 2 shuttles flying together? :wink:

140298aa208b.png

update:

And we are going somewhere green!

0281cb662240.png

But that's not Jool!

59f60b3266ad.png

Hey, didn't the map say "Mine me" or something like that?

ebacaa7e71b0.png

To be honest, if I took the superheavy versions of launch assembly it would likely have been enough to to send both shuttles to Jool straight away. But with the standard HRO-M configuration, ships with all these payloads already are near the edge of maximum launch mass (and the detachable modules in and on HRO-M03 are empty) and get to orbit with about half the fuel reserves. For Jool transfer definitely need a refuel. Plus, it turns out the window to Jool was not that long ago and it's almost a year before the next one

Edited by Alchemist
1 person likes this

Duna STS-1

I somehow stopped the auto screenshots during launch, but it was similar to all my previous launches, except I toggled a few of the engines on the external tank off towards the end of the gravity turn so I could use the external tank for circularization and start of transfer to Duna.  I fine tuned the periapsis so I could aero-brake and save fuel as much as possible.  

Shuttle was carrying a small orbital station consisting of Hitchhiker module, RCS tank, battery, two large solar panels, RCS thrusters, two antennae,  Docking Port on one end, and 4 Docking Port Jrs for later expansion possiblities.  

Shuttle was also carrying a Relay sat for bouncing the comms from Duna back to Kerbin. Relay Sat was deployed into a 2Mm orbit prior to deploying station, and I noticed while warping ahead for the transfer back to Kerbin that it had disappeared.  Thought maybe I hadn't checked the orbit correctly and it either deorbited into Duna or Ike.  Once I returned back to Kerbin, I was surprised to find the Relay Sat in an screwy Kerbin Orbit.  Must have been a wormhole or someting. WIll HyperEdit it back before the next shuttle mission as I plan on bringing two more relays to set up a network around Duna.

It took 3 aero-braking orbits to get apoapsis low enough around Kerbin so I didn't waste too much fuel.  Actually got lucky and after the last aero-brake brought apoapsis down to about 250km, the next orbit was almost perfectly lined up for landing, so I didn't have to circularize.  Still, since was at about 9 degree inclination ended up overshooting KSC a little, but turned the shuttle around and landed with no problems.

Mod list is in video description.

I almost got the space potato down.

I will present you my glorious failure now, since I'm not trying it again this way.

Main problem was KSP bugging out... Every time when I went in/out of warp, the grabbing units stuttered a bit and went out of alignment. Also one landing gear flew off for no reason.

Also the rock doesn't allow fuel crossfeed, who would've thought of that? :D

It was hard, boring, frustrating and fun.

I managed to splash the rock to ocean and all minions survived. So let's call this approach undoable with these bugs and I'll try it again later with a boring design. :/

Pictures!

Oh, ps. I tried to fly the thing with infinite propellant on. I had to spam the free/lock pivot of the tail part grabber to get the alignment about right. It was flyable, sort of.

pps. fkng IMGUR!!! Again the images are aout of order... fixing...

Edited by Sivonen
2 people like this

And the boring way to get an asteroid to your backyard:

1 person likes this

Mun STS-1 with minimalistic research station

...sorry for a lame entry, I was in a bit of a hurry.

Oh, and this time with mod list: Mechjeb, Mechjeb for all

Edited by Sivonen
Modlist
1 person likes this

Let's see...

Spoiler

Who needs atmosphere for horizontal takeoff?
abc8303b9e95.png

Anyway, after 2 mining runs on Minmus (and waiting for over 300 days for the window) we are finally departing. And this is the best way to go to Jool from Minmus
2979d9456914.png

Oberth effect, isn't it?

512fe781118b.png

Bye, Kerbin!

adf9cc5e6f32.png

And a couple years later...

de0802f3cb1e.png

Hello, Jool!

b98a11c698cd.png

Seems to be a good point for separation - at least the fuel seems to be enough

262a94218d9a.png

Hey, how did this get right here?

17b5417abfd5.png

Yeah, almost ran into... Vall.

e35a72ba9c80.png

Swing past Tylo, turn around Jool and...

7054060ac1be.png

Capture burn complete - release the mapsat

1c2ccec086c6.png

And let's lower the apoapsis a bit more - the shuttle way

f4429d9620af.png

Actually, a bit more drag than expected - what the souposphere is this!? 20 km thinner than Kerbin's, yet a few kilometers in - and it's already about as draggy as on the same altitude above Kerbin!

Oh well, we got low orbit, now let's find a place to land, preferably something with good amount of ore.

318060dec234.png

Yes, this version of Elcanoplan can actually fly. And orbital scan showed a ore-rich biome on that island, so dropping right there

10abf800167a.png
Yup, ore detected right up there. And given that despite all the hydroplane stuff it's better at horizontal landing on land than in water...

3062dcede388.png

Surface scan showed 11% ore! Perfect place for mining! Landing site for the shuttle confirmed.

Wait a minute! How much power? RTG produces this much, weights less and doesn't stop at night! Why the heck did I take solar panels??!

Upd:

0e4de0420a8f.png

Finally jets proven useful for anything else than landing back on Kerbin

Edited by Alchemist
1 person likes this

Duna mission done without quickloads.

...yes I did many quicksaves, but I didn't have to load once.

Edit: mod list: Mechjeb, Mechjeb for all

Edited by Sivonen

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, Sivonen said:

Mun STS-1 with minimalistic research station

...sorry for a lame entry, I was in a bit of a hurry.

:o Lame??? 

I loved this entry!  The research station made me laugh! 

...and who wouldn't love a shuttle that takes a dip in the pool after a successful mission!  :D

2 people like this

And the second trip to Duna... Not a very pleasant one, I  have to say.

Firtstly I had to adjust the launch vehicle a LOT to get the launch straight(ish) up.

I did the Duna aerobraking about ten times to get it right.

I detached my cargo (rcs fuel for the station) and got it ALMOST docked until the batteries died. So there was a station without rcs fuel but plenty of electricity, and the fuel tanks with plenty of rcs fuel about 3 meters apart of each other. I did rescue the situation by docking the shuttle to the rcs fuel tank and docking the rcs tank to the station then... Then I went to do the landing - and failed - and I didn't remember to save before. I deleted the screenshots (stupid) and did the rcs docking quickly without incidents.

Oh yeah I had to do every trick I know to get the Duna landing to happen. At least ten tries, usually crashing, going too much nose down. Finally I did it, the shuttle bounced, rolled and exploded.... and F9 and continue to try. Finally it worked.

Going up from Duna is not hard, if you bring enough fuel. I did, barely. I did have to try the liftoff a couple of times to get to orbit.

Oh, and next time, bring a pilot....

Rest of the mission went well.

The mission itself is not that hard, I think I made it hard by making such a bad shuttle.

But it was fun.

One left, I think?

Edited by Sivonen

Hi everyone, I probably won't get an opportunity to check in here until mid week, but keep going and I will do my usual stunning bulk catch up when I'm free :)

SM