chasing the dark side

psychopoak

ok the title might be a bit cheesy but here is a screenshot I took yesterady during an okay-ish mission that turned out super cool 

Vj5p11c.png

so to put context around this pics, here is what happened.

I was on my way to a rescue mission contract. the stranded kerbonaut was on the mun, near the north pole. Rescue missions are definitely not the most fun, but whatever. I need people to put on futur base/station, and him being stranded on the pole makes it a more interresting.

so Here goes Gatherer2, on its way to the mun. this is a probe lander with a rescue pod from USI survavibility, and loads of battery to accomodate the amount of light and stuffs I put on in case of a dark landing.

once my course set, I warped until SOI change and unwrapped my lander to recharge battery....but half the solar panel broke due to poor design...

anyway let's get this kerbal back no matter what! looking at the course passing directly by the pole, I decided to land directly on site. and altered slightly my course to take care of the mun rotation, and I was all set...so was kerbin!!

there is a point where I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN SCREENSHOTS ! I started to see the mun disappear under a black blancket. My heartbeat was rising as I thought it was either a graphic glitch or my graphic card acting silly. then I noticed my electric charge was not moving in the right way despite the not-broken-solar-panels and then it hit me : kerbin was blocking the sun!!

I tried to land anyway, and manage to do it on the second attemps (thanks to quicksaves) just to see the wreck tumbling down a 1000m hill but I managed to get my kerbal back and had a superb sight as I was going down to the surface. The ship landed on the edge of the dark, which was quite dramatic

I know this must happen more than needed due to orbits of both kerbin and mun being on the same plane, but boy was it cool to see this happen it this very moment.

moments like this are the reason why I can't get enough of KSP, no matter how much I play!

Edited by psychopoak

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.