Show off your junk

phantom000

We all have all kinds of debris drifting around the solar system. I am up to about 37 parts not counting all the probe cores i used to build my space station and a couple empty fuel tankers. So track some down and take a picture so we can see what is drifting through your system.

OAoPa7B.jpg

This must be from one of my lunar missions, though how it made it all the way down to kerbin in one piece is beyond me.

52lY1bz.jpg

This is a booster from my orbital survey of minmus, funny thing is it is my first interplanetary probe because it is on its way to Duna.

QtmZwnh.jpg

This must have been out there a long time, i can't remember the last time i used a big orange for anything.

Last night I completed my first unmodded (second one in total though) mun landing. Managed to get there with 1/4 fuel in the transfer stage, but a slight timewarp incident caused me to have to eject that 1/4 fuel and let it bounce away while the main lander touched down 5 meters away :P. Might post a pick once I get around to it.

Edited by nascarlaser1

1 minute ago, GoSlash27 said:

A lot of us go to extra lengths to ensure that we don't leave debris.

I feel it necessary to observe that terminating debris in the Tracking Station is not particularly an 'extra length' :sticktongue:

And also, what Kerbal mission could go so perfectly that it would leave no debris at all? :rolleyes:

(I know, I know... you are right of course!)

6 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I feel it necessary to observe that terminating debris in the Tracking Station is not particularly an 'extra length' :sticktongue:

And also, what Kerbal mission could go so perfectly that it would leave no debris at all? :rolleyes:

(I know, I know... you are right of course!)

The_Rocketeer,

I catch the funny, but just to clarify for folks who may not be aware of the practice...

Many KSP players hate having debris cluttering their map view, so they plan their missions accordingly. Basically... every time a stage is jettisoned, the spent stage is either on a collision course with a body or has an atmospheric Pe so that it will burn up.

Best,
-Slashy

38 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Many KSP players hate having debris cluttering their map view, so they plan their missions accordingly

I used to be militant about not leaving any debris in orbit and that does add a nice extra bit of design and piloting challenge. But now that you can just switch off debris from being shown in map mode and KSP has got better (although still not great) at having lots of debris left around, I've gone in the other direction and in my last career I've been intentionally messy.  Partly to see how well the game copes with it and also trying to increase that rare chance of having a mission compromised by debris impact (yeah I know, odds of that happening are really low).

I've also been doing something else with some smaller spent stages.  I've been shipping them off to Minmus (usually picked up by a collector craft and transported) to "Bill's Scrap Yard", a base where (with KAS/KIS and a couple other mods) the stages are broken down and reassembled into new craft, refueled with on-site mined resources and launched.  It's been quite fun (and really time consuming) to build craft on site with engineers (using KAS/KIS) and without any of the build tools that you get in the VAB/SPH.  Quite a bit of the base itself has also been built from recycled stages so it's got quite a scrap yard feel to it.

This is one probe being built and you can see the pile of parts from stripped down stages behind.

IkNqD8U.jpg7t7mB46.jpg

And here it is ready for launch to Duna (one section was to remain in orbit while the lower section would land to conduct experiments).

7FR0mun.jpg

Unfortunately none of the probes launched from this base have actually completed their full mission plans, mostly due to lack of dV.

But what has been successful is assembling little rescue missions to go and pickup rescue contracts in Minmus orbit.  This is one rescue mission about to launch. The process is to take up a couple parachutes which are strapped to whatever needs rescuing and then setting them to be deployed before shunting it into a return course to Kerbin (and then the rescue craft turns around and returns to base).  I feel that's a suitably haphazard and budget approach to rescue contracts!

QWKRcnU.jpg

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

This thread is not what I expected.. :blush:

What were you expecti... ooooh riiiiiiight.

I'd like to call a vote... Anyone in favor of banning @Majorjim! from posting ANY picture on this thread post, please stand.

7 hours ago, HvP said:

@katateochi That's a fantastic idea. It's kind of like a little mini-game within KSP, and it gives bases something productive to do. Hmm, now what could I cobble together from my scrap. I think I'm going to have to try something like that.

1 hour ago, psychogre said:

Great scrapyard setup @katateochi.

I've been salvaging my debris, discarded from my early Minmus flights, and reusing them mainly to fulfill rescue contracts.  This has made the game much more interesting and challenging for me.  But you've taken it to a level of an artform!

Thanks!! and yes, it has been a fun little mini-game, but slow! takes quite a while to make something that you could chuck together in the VAB in minutes. Also, with KAS, KIS and infernal robotics in play I can't stress enough how much you need to quicksave! (although tbf, most of the glitches happened when using KAS winches and then attaching/detaching parts, once I stopped trying to use them it got better).

8EmqUu2.png

Maybe 10 minutes ago I flew over the KSC2 runway lifting device. The central ring is the diameter of the blimp, there's a small nuclear reactor, 2 engines larger than on the blimp, and 12 balloons that provided lift to the 2.5km runway on its way to KSC2. It ripped free of the runway, and deprived of the weight, launched itself 10km into the air. I landed it some 10km from KSC2 and left there.

And this is the junkyard from may previous career, 1.1.3

RWK5nR3.png

Various pieces either delivered by truck or flown under own power, about 5km from Minmus Base, stuff that "might be still useful" but moved here to save up the framerate. Mainly transfer stages from various base modules.

Most are still spaceworthy; occasionally I'd visit it and either strip parts I needed, or modify one of them for some purpose, like rescue of a kerbal from orbit.

Edited by Sharpy

16 hours ago, katateochi said:

Also, with KAS, KIS and infernal robotics in play I can't stress enough how much you need to quicksave!

Absolutely!  Even though I do quicksaves often, I still don't do it often enough.  As I do nearly all my construction is on and around an orbital "platform" around Minmus (being readied as an interplanetary transport ship   http://imgur.com/a/2k1Vi - been working on that for a long time), things can go wrong very easily.  One slight misplacement, and parts being moved go tumbling away.  Second time that's happened - shame on me...  Gotta go retrieve it now.

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.