Phase angles for real solar system

Skript88

Does anybody have a table or something with a list of hohmann transfer angles for our actual solar system? If not could I have a more user friendly explanation of the math? I didn't know where else to ask about something like this but I thought you guys may be of some help.

http://clowder.net/hop/railroad/sched.html

This might be what you're looking for, it doesn't say angles afaik, but it tells you dates, and even Dv.

Edit- I highly recommend downloading the Hohmann.xls spreadsheet, it includes all you could need on launch windows, including angles. Its interesting to note that Earth-Mars is exactly the same as Kerbin-Duna!

Hope this helps,

Seabo14:)

Edited by Seabo14
Extra Info Found

You could calculate them pretty easily.

Just work out the half orbital period of the transfer orbit: that's the time you will need to reach your target planet. In this time the planet will have moved a fraction of its orbit that you can express as an angle. The Hohmann transfer angle is then just 180° minus that angle (because you want to meet the planet at 180° relative to your departing point). Signs shouldn't be a problem since everything orbits in the same direction. Similarly you don't need to worry about plane inclination since it doesn't change the orbital period of your transfer orbit (but you want to include it in your dV calculation).

Things get a little more complicated with eccentric orbits because the transfer orbit is not the same depending on when you do your transfer.

Using this method I get 44.6° for Mars from Earth, hopefully it's correct (needs to be checked).

Edit: the formula is: angle = 180° * ( 1 - ( (aEarth/aDestination + 1) / 2)3/2)

aEarth and aDestination are the SMAs of Earth and your destination respectively, using AU you can take aEarth = 1

Edited by Gaarst

58 minutes ago, Seabo14 said:

-snip-

Funny that. A "cosmic train schedule" is kinda relevant to what I'm creating. The Dv and the travel times in this document are going to be very useful for this project as well. Thanks!

57 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Edit: the formula is: angle = 180° * ( 1 - ( (aEarth/aDestination + 1) / 2)3/2)

Why does this look so much more simple than what I was googling lol. I assume aEarth just means planet you start from and this does not only apply to earth, Correct?

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

Using this method I get 44.6° for Mars from Earth, hopefully it's correct (needs to be checked).

It checks out. The xml that Seabo14 provided gives an angle between Earth and Mars of 44.34, not bad!

12 minutes ago, Skript88 said:

Why does this look so much more simple than what I was googling lol. I assume aEarth just means planet you start from and this does not only apply to earth, Correct?

Yeah I just wrote aEarth because I started with Earth but it works for any planet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.