Collider Mesh Appears In-Game

Hello!
I am currently in the process of refurbishing my dome. I created a brand-new model, along with a custom collider mesh made out of triangular prisms.

Here are the screenshots from Unity, where everything appears to be fine:

BTGsW7Z.png

gDyXoSM.png

However, in-game the dome looks like this (the size is correct, it's supposed to be 10m in diameter):

kH80o9v.png

XHleIj4.png

^ Proof that it's the collision mesh that's messing things up for me, and not the actual texture(s) that I'm using.

I am really confused as to what I should do at this point. I tried everything, including moving the colliders up and down the hierarchy, applying the mesh renderer and applying an empty texture to it, and a bunch of other things, only to end up with the same result. What should I do? Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by 2001kraft
grammar, spelling, etc.

Some questions:

first: why so many individual colliders? This could be done with one, half-spheric icosphere mesh as the collider, coulnt it? You cant walk into it anyway, or can you? Is the "empty" underside (from the physics engine point of view) really neccessary?

Then, what is group_0 and instance_0? From the image of the unity Assets explorer it looks like they have mesh data, too? Or not?

I would look for the problem in this area.

First, I would delete the colliders and export it without them, check ingame. I bet the problem still occurs. Then delete the group_0, check, delete instance_0 and check ingame again. This way you can really identify the problematic mesh.

You could export this dome as a unity package then we all could have a look.

Edited by InsaneDruid

11 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

first: why so many individual colliders? This could be done with one, half-spheric icosphere mesh as the collider, coulnt it? You cant walk into it anyway, or can you? Is the "empty" underside (from the physics engine point of view) really neccessary?

Yes; due to the fact that you need to be able to put things inside of the dome. This big dome exists mainly as a base object for all the other dome sizes, along with the fact that you can easily use it in collaboration with the other glass panes to create an entrance into the dome, and use it as a base then.

Then, what is group_0 and instance_0? From the image of the unity Assets explorer it looks like they have mesh data, too? Or not?

Group 0 is to just group them all together. Same with Instance 0. It's just a grouping object. Although what you're saying is true, I'm starting to wonder if their presence is necessary at all. They don't have any mesh data of their own.

<UPDATE>

CGm1Uvr.png

I removed both Objects. The problem still persists in-game (no screenshot necessary, as it all just stayed the same).

I also tried moving the collider triangular prism into the corresponding prism group in the Actual Mesh; nothing changed.

</UPDATE>

First, I would delete the colliders and export it without them, check ingame. I bet the problem still occurs. Then delete the group_0, check, delete instance_0 and check ingame again. This way you can really identify the problematic mesh.

The problem does not occur without the colliders, it's their mesh that appears in the first place (if you mean the actual mesh, that is). The problem occurs without the Mesh Collider component also.

You could export this dome as a unity package then we all could have a look.

Here's the unity package:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ss7aer2vrq8zd41/nDome.zip?dl=0

Edited by 2001kraft

@2001kraft I believe you can merge all your colliders into one, but don't tick the convex box under the Mesh Collider component. Same with your windows, the less individual objects your part has in its hierarchy the more performance friendly it is. Colliders affect CPU, objects affect GPU.

Edited by Enceos

On 2/13/2017 at 8:00 AM, Enceos said:

@2001kraft I believe you can merge all your colliders into one, but don't tick the convex box under the Mesh Collider component. Same with your windows, the less individual objects your part has in its hierarchy the more performance friendly it is. Colliders affect CPU, objects affect GPU.

It seems KSP tick convex itself now, a Unity 5 feature per somebody's word.

If there is a way to get around it ,please let me know

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.