The science behind materials in kerbol system!

cratercracker

When most of us start KSP career we think about funds. But what is exactly is the richest place in kerbol system?

Here is top 5 richest places:

1.Moho

Moho formed closer to the sun than the rest of planets. And that means it is full of precious metals.

You may ask me “Why?” The answer is:The only place where metals form is supernovas and star cores and Moho was formed near a star and probably recieved some materia. So Moho theoretically filled with metals.

2.Jool

Jool has hydrogen, helium and chlorine in the atmosphere. Gas giants themselves are interesting places due to crazy pressures and temperatures, different material forms, some of those can be simple and easy to find but some are true rarity.

3.Eelo

Eelo is the most far planet in kerbol system. And that means it was formed close to iron stock. A lot of material that was not used during the formation of Kerbol system stayed there in the outer parts of  system where Eelo remains now. It could absorb some materials and make itself more valuable.

4.Dres(?)

Dres is small dwarf planet in between Jool and Duna. During the formation most Dres received a lot of siicates. But a lot of materials came from asteroid collisions that brought ices,silicates,metals and lots of other things.

5.Gilly

As how we know Gilly is a captured asteroid. But what was an asteroid doing so close to the sun? Perhaps maybe Gilly is a very old asteroid that was on its orbit and then pulled by the Eve's gravity. And probably very old asteroids can contain materials fromthe startof the solar system and some of them are precious or highly radioactive.....

So I want to start my own journal of ideas and theories about kerbol system called “The science behind…” And I hope you will appreciate it!...

P.S Sun doesnt count becauce we cant visit it...  P.S 2 Thank you for your help! I learnt a lot of intereting things through your comments!

Edited by cratercracker

3 hours ago, cratercracker said:

The only place where metals form is supernovas and star cores. So Moho is filled with metals.

Those two sentences don't actually go together. Moho wasn't built from the core of Kerbol, all the planets were formed from the remnants of earlier generations of stars. It was in those earlier stars that the heavier elements found in the planets were synthesized, not in Kerbol. The easiest place to get metals (off Kerbin) is (like here in the Solar system) from asteroids.

5 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Moho formed closer to the sun than the rest of planets. And that means it is full of precious metals.

I can see what's led to this idea, but it's come from a fundamental misunderstanding of the origins of planets. Planets around a star are not formed from material that was formed inside the star they orbit. They are formed from material left over from older stars that were destroyed in a supernova in the past (and usually the same cloud of material that forms a star also forms its planets).

Jool has hydrogen, helium and chlorine in the atmosphere. The most important of them is hydrogen because under extreme pressures (like on Jool surface) hydrogen crystallize and turn into diamond. And far as I know diamonds are quite expansive!

No. Hydrogen will never form diamond. Diamonds are formed from carbon. You've clearly heard about metallic hydrogen, which is what hydrogen theoretically could form in high-pressure-and-temperature environments like inside of a gas giant. Also, Jool does not have a surface; it is a gas giant.

Eelo is the most far planet in kerbol system. And that means it was formed close to iron stock.

Again, you're using your flawed understanding of the origins of planets. Eeloo probably has either an iron or silicate core beneath the ice, but not because of where it is relative to the sun.

Dres is small dwarf planet in between Jool and Duna. During the formation most Dres received a lot of silicates. Due to extreme temperature drops and rises ,silicates turn into crystals and precious gems!

Those temperature drops come from asteroid collisions and crazy distances from sun..

Where do I even start with this one. I've already talked about how the composition of celestial bodies has nothing to do with where they are relative to their star, so I won't cover that here. Silicates, then. Dres is presumably in the asteroid belt of the Kerbol system (at least, it's supposed to be a Ceres analogue and always has asteroid surrounding it, so I think this is a fair assumption). This means that it is probably mostly formed of either ferrous materials (iron, nickel, cobalt), carbon, or silicates. Not one of these would remotely imply the presence of gemstones. Gemstones tend to form when the right minerals are subjected to enormously high pressures, but you have to have the right chemicals in place to begin with, and the conditions for forming gemstones do not commonly occur on small, geologically inactive planetoids like Dres. The best chance you have of ending up with gemstones on such an object is if it was ejected from the crust of a large, geologically active planet during a collision. Even in that case, you'd be unlikely to find very many gem-quality stones. They certainly wouldn't be as common as you seem to think.

Also, asteroid collisions do not lower temperature, they raise it.

As how we know Gilly is a captured asteroid. But what was an asteroid doing so close to the sun? Perhaps maybe Gilly was not formed into a planetoid and due to influence from Eve It couldn’t grow. So what do we see is a pure core of a planet but with no crust! And cores of planets are full of different materials!

Asteroids do not exist exclusively in stable circular orbits between Mars and Jupiter (for a real comparison). Asteroids can be found just about anywhere, and can have very extreme orbits. It is very much possible (in terms of real solar system dynamics and physics) for an asteroid to be as close to the sun as Eve.

Now more about how planets and form. When a star forms, it is in a cloud of dust and gases that are gravitationally attracted towards each other, and thus coalesce together to make a star. Usually, there is enough leftover dust and gas in the cloud to get into orbit of the star, and it begins to collect together into larger clumps of dust and gas, again due to gravity. Some of those large clumps of dust and gas orbiting the star eventually gather enough material from the dust cloud to become quite large, large enough that their gravity pulls them into a roughly spherical shape. Those are planets. The rest of the dust cloud still tends to form big clumps of dust, but when there's no longer enough for planets to form you end up with asteroids (and comets, and other tiny celestial bodies like that). If a planet's moon is a captured asteroid, that means that it formed somewhere else, usually from the original dust cloud, and later was moved around the planet by various gravitational effects (essentially just a long chain of gravity assists, if you're familiar with what those are).

As for the last part of this statement, I've realized by this point that you don't actually appear to know what a mineral is. It seems that you think that the only things that are minerals are valuable ores and gemstones, but a mineral, by definition, is just any naturally-occurring inorganic solid substance. Normal, everyday rocks are minerals. Asteroids are made mostly of minerals. All terrestrial planets have a surface composed primarily of minerals. Of course Gilly is made of minerals, that is no surprise and it certainly can't be used as evidence of Gilly being anything other than a captured asteroid.

I hope this stuff helps you, though I very much suggest doing your own research into these things and looking at scientific sources which present this information in more detail. I tried to summarize and simplify as much as possible, but it's interesting stuff so looking into articles about it would be a good use of time, and would also hopefully help you to understand what I'm talking about here a bit better.

4 hours ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Meh. If it's in the game, I consider it canon.

Thus spake the KSP Wiki: In Kerbal Space Program a biome is a geographic area on the surface of a celestial body typically corresponding with types of geology like mountains or craters. This is in contrast to the real meaning of the term in which biomes are biotic communities in contiguous areas with similar climatic conditions and organism populations.

So, life? Not so much.

21 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Whaa?? :huh:

I think you're thinking of Carbon...

Best,
-Slashy

High pressure+ Hydrogen = Liquid/Metalic hydrogen. - - - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen

" In October 2016, there were claims that metallic hydrogen had been observed in the laboratory at a pressure of around 495 gigapascals (4,950,000 bar; 4,890,000 atm; 71,800,000 psi) "

Jupiter, tell this man.

And diamonds ARE carbon.

21 hours ago, 322997am said:

I think the most valuable planet is minmus. Lots of salt, helium 4, and ice

The salt is real :0

On 12/02/2017 at 3:22 PM, cratercracker said:

As how we know Gilly is a captured asteroid. But what was an asteroid doing so close to the sun? Perhaps maybe Gilly was not formed into a planetoid and due to influence from Eve It couldn’t grow. So what do we see is a pure core of a planet but with no crust! And cores of planets are full of different materials!

In addition of the whole "Asteroids form anywhere, yadda yadda", why is Gilly the core of a planetoid specifically? If Eve prevented something to form, either it formed, but it stayed very small (a.k.a an asteroid, and most asteroids don't have a core to begin with) or it didn't form, period.

As of "Cores of planets are full of different materials", there are several problems with this sentence:

1. "Full of different materials" => sure, like everything made of matter, I guess? This sentence is tautological...

2. Implies: Precious stuff => Why so? A planet's core isn't made of precious stuff only! The Earth's core is mainly made of a ton of iron and some nickel. Sure, it has some value, but is it really "precious"? Nope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-13 at 10:18 PM, ExtremeSquared said:

R&D Building

Are you being deliberately difficult? Where in the R&D building does the game explicitly say that there is life on all the planets? I can't seem to find it, it makes absolutely no logical sense, has no game impact and the wiki directly contradicts it so... help me out here?

2 hours ago, CaptainTrebor said:

Biome: a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat, e.g. forest or tundra.

The assumption that all planets have life is just due to Squad's misuse of the word "biome".

Yeah, a more proper word would be "Regions", "Terrain" or "Environement"

15 hours ago, Nathair said:

Are you being deliberately difficult? Where in the R&D building does the game explicitly say that there is life on all the planets? I can't seem to find it, it makes absolutely no logical sense, has no game impact and the wiki directly contradicts it so... help me out here?

Here:

wJkX7rC.png

Sorry if I was unclear. Like others mentioned, a biome, by definition, contains life. This list from the R&D building lists all the life-containing areas on Moho.

Your claim that it's simply a developer mistake, while probably likely, is just as valid as my claim that all planets contain life according to the game. A whimsical game where one of the scientific experiments is a jar full of sentient goo.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

1 minute ago, ExtremeSquared said:

Here:

wJkX7rC.png

Sorry if I was unclear. Like others mentioned, a biome, by definition contains life. This list from the R&D building lists all the life-containing areas on Moho.

Your claim that it's simply a developer mistake, while probably more likely, is just as valid as my claim that all planets contain life according to the game. A whimsical game where one of the scientific experiments is a jar full of sentient goo.

Honestly, it would be "pretty unlikely" (read: absolutely impossible) to have life everywhere. Especially on Moho, since it is constantly being half-baked in the intense Kerbolight, literally cooking anything alive in the process.

Even planets whose counterparts may harbor life (Eeloo vs Enceladus/Europa) may actually not (in my example: Eeloo lacks any sort of tidal heating, and hence is unlikely to have enough heat left to bear life).

5 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

Honestly, it would be "pretty unlikely" (read: absolutely impossible) to have life everywhere. Especially on Moho, since it is constantly being half-baked in the intense Kerbolight, literally cooking anything alive in the process.

Exactly, which leads back to my original point: Taking too seriously the scientific aspects of a game that has life on every planet is risky.

Yeah without getting too far off topic, I'd say Squad's misuse of "Biome" is simply the result of that word gaining sudden popularity thanks to other indie games such as Minecraft.

It's pretty clear that "Biome" does not reflect it's dictionary definition 100% in this case and is simply being misused. Sort of how like "irregardless" isn't actually a word, but people still use it.

In all actuality, "region" should be used instead of "biome," but at this point, it's purely semantic.

On 2017-02-27 at 5:28 PM, Greenfire32 said:

Yeah without getting too far off topic, I'd say Squad's misuse of "Biome" is simply the result of that word gaining sudden popularity thanks to other indie games such as Minecraft.

It's pretty clear that "Biome" does not reflect it's dictionary definition 100% in this case and is simply being misused.

Which, as I pointed out way up there (and will repeat here) is exactly what it says in the wiki : "In Kerbal Space Program a biome is a geographic area on the surface of a celestial body typically corresponding with types of geology like mountains or craters. This is in contrast to the real meaning of the term in which biomes are biotic communities in contiguous areas with similar climatic conditions and organism populations. "

Demanding, against all evidence, that they actually meant BIOme in the strict technical sense of the word and not just "region" and that therefore there axiomatically is life on Eeloo is more than a little bit silly. It's rather a shame that there isn't more science to the science that would distinguish between "biomes" and the types of experiments you can do in them. It might help alleviate the "grindy" aspect of running exactly the same set of experiments whether we're floating in the warm ocean water a couple of hundred meters from the KSC or parked among the Southern Glaciers of Eeloo. It would be great if biology (and exobiology), so significant in real space exploration, could be a part of KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.