The science behind Ike!

cratercracker

Ike is a relatively large moon of Duna. But what does such object does around Duna.

Today we will figure it out!

One of hypothesis is that Ike was formed with Duna because it’s orbit is stable and low. It is made of silicates and some kind of dark material. Perhaps there is not so much craters like on Minmus. So what kind of material is Ike made of? Honestly I don’t have any clue…. But lets imagine that it is some kind of flexible material that can make craters smooth. But how does this kind of material form? And where did it come from?

But what if Ike was formed by a collision. A lot of material just flew away due to Duna’s low gravity. And some that stay formed a low-density object. But the orbit is so stable and almost equatorial. How? Maybe because of odd angle of the collision. (for a collision angle equator is an oddity)

But what if Ike had really low density. And some of the material just escaped and then fall on Duna leaving nothing but what we have now….

The other and  last hypothesis of mine is that Ike is a trail of volcanism that had strong appearance on Duna. But as how can we see, now Duna is geologically dead planet….

I hope you will appreciate my attempt to be interesting!

I will be very happy if you will help me find a better hypothesis!

Edited by cratercracker

5 hours ago, cratercracker said:

First theory One of hypothesis is that Ike was formed with Duna because it’s orbit is stable and low. It is made of silicates and some kind of dark material. Perhaps there is not so much craters like on Minmus. So what kind of material is Ike made of? Honestly I don’t have any clue…. But lets imagine that it is some kind of flexible material that can make craters smooth. But how does this kind of material form? And where did it come from?

Second theory But what if Ike was formed by a collision. A lot of material just flew away due to Duna’s low gravity. And some that stay formed a low-density object. But the orbit is so stable and almost equatorial. How? Maybe because of odd angle of the collision. (for a collision angle equator is an oddity)

Third theory But what if Ike had really low density. And some of the material just escaped and then fall on Duna leaving nothing but what we have now….

Fourth theory The other and  last hypothesis of mine is that Ike is a trail of volcanism that had strong appearance on Duna. But as how can we see, now Duna is geologically dead planet…

Added text are bold

1) To me, this is by far the most probable hypothesis, because Ike's orbit is round -this has nothing to do with stability, mind you: Gilly's orbit is elliptical and stable- and Ike and Duna are close to each other. Ike is probably very similar to the Mun and Dres in composition, meaning rocks, metals, blah, blah...

2) Much less probable, this one doesn't explain how regular is Ike's orbit (just look at the Moon)

3) :huh: Okay, I didn't understand anything in this one... What do you mean? Why would Ike be extremely light, not as dense as it is IG? It's not in Duna's roche limit at all! Why would materials escape? Why isn't Duna black, then? :confused:

4) Volcanoes on Earth definitely don't blow anything in space, and especially not a body half as big as the Moon, weighting a few 10^21 g.

Last but not least: please refrain against using a thread for every single theories you have, you should group them into a single thread.

Edited by MinimalMinmus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.