Getting More KSP Stock parts

24 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Squad has said that they never want to militarize stock KSP. They have nothing against mods which do that sort of thing, but it's just not their vision for the game. 

But they can add DLC with weapons and get lots of $$$ :wink:

I've seen enough requests of this type to think an MMO aviation sequel with kerbals is more than a good idea.

5 minutes ago, Darnok said:

But they can add DLC with weapons and get lots of $$$ :wink:

Or make a proper game focused around it and a few other things instead of trying to solve all the issues KSP has just to make it work. Not much fun shooting static targets in a singleplayer game. That wiould get them lots of $$$ too. I would even argue they would make more than on a crappy DLC.

Edited by Veeltch

On 2/14/2017 at 3:19 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

How About the devs start putting in weapons and make some mod stock parts.

What is a mod stock part?

Do you mean incorporate some parts from mods into the stock game (like they did with Space Plane Plus for example - ie the m2 spaceplane parts) I wouldn't mind if they incorporated Kerbal Planetary Base Systems.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

to Darnok Thank you for understanding

I think (although with Darnok, it can be tought to understand what he's thinking), that Darnok was being sarcastic.

One issue is that people really don't like paid DLC, especially on these forums. Second, why would people buy the DLC when they can download BDA armory for free?

2 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

What is a mod stock part?

Do you mean incorporate some parts from mods into the stock game (like they did with Space Plane Plus for example - ie the m2 spaceplane parts) I wouldn't mind if they incorporated Kerbal Planetary Base Systems.

I think (although with Darnok, it can be tough to understand what he's thinking), that Darnok was being sarcastic.

One issue is that people really don't like paid DLC, especially on these forums. Second, why would people buy the DLC when they can download BD Armory for free?

What I meant was the planetary bases, Mk 4 stock extensions, etc. become stock parts and make props available for people can't get the mods and for exploring Kerbin

2 hours ago, eagle92lightning said:

Warfare is a big part for any space agency but it will never be in KSP.

The only reason warfare is ever a part of real space agencies is because governments can't make ICBMs without rocket scientists. The actual purpose of a space agency, and the only purpose of one which actually has any benefit to people overall, is to advance scientific understanding of the universe. In a world without nations and conflict (such as Kerbin) integrating warfare into a space agency would be about as useful as adding ketchup to a chainsaw.

Edited by eloquentJane

A space agency's purpose is to do stuff related to space...

This includes commercial stuff like communication and GPS.

GPS itself has military applications, as do spy sats.

A particular space agency may try to divorce itself from military aspects, but then there will just be a military space "agency" or program to do that (such as the US air force)

Having a peaceful space program is against realism at some degree as most of the time real space programs exist they were driven by arms race and military purposes. Don't forget that jet engines and rockets were invented as "means of delivery". The fact that we have more scientific than military focus in space in the few last decades is questionable because 1. it is a really short period of time 2. in the 60's people supposed that we'll have cities on Mars to the year 2000. And where are we in fact? A man haven't even left Earth's SOI. Peaceful space exploration goes much slower than it could just because of lack of practical applications, compared to military one. There's no benefit in launching nukes from the Moon, that's why we haven't step there for so long and all the Moon base plans have come to naught since 60's. Congress doesn't give funds just for curiosity (I don't mean the Martian rover :)).

BUT nearly every video game in this world (except for Tetris) is made around fighting and killing. So why put it in the rare game that doesn't require to tap spacebar and shoot? I don't mind about shooters but don't you get tired of them sometimes?

Edited by Ser

On 2/14/2017 at 10:46 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

It is BDArmORy not not Armoury you are talking with an American

It doesn't matter whom he's talking to. You were apparently talking to a Brit/Aussie/etc, so by that logic you should have stuck the U in there.

What matters is what the mod creator calls it, and the mod creator spells it "Armory". So you're right for the wrong reasons.

10 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

What I meant was the planetary bases, Mk 4 stock extensions, etc. become stock parts and make props available for people can't get the mods and for exploring Kerbin

#1) Why wouldn't people be able to get these mods?

#2) Electric propulsion is super easy to mod into the game. I did this with just text editing:

Spoiler

uY2JEIu.png

4G8GOSq.png

pgLNwOx.png

Sure, it looks like a ducted fan, not a propeller, but the gameplay effect is the same.

49 minutes ago, Ser said:

Having a peaceful space program is against realism at some degree ...

As many have pointed out... significant breaks from realism are acceptable in games. So if the break is only "at some degree", I think we can safely overlook it.

11 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

As many have pointed out... significant breaks from realism are acceptable in games. So if the break is only "at some degree", I think we can safely overlook it.

In the part of weapon-free space program I can agree with you

Edited by Ser

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Sgt Doomball said:

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 0:48 PM, DrLicor said:

Indeed, weapons in stock is for me a not done, and I think it's the last thing the dev's will put into the game ever. 
For weapons you just have to download the BDArmoury mod

Anyway, welcome to the forums :) 

Here is the link to the BD Armory Continued thread ... the link provided by @DrLicor is no longer being supported

Ok, let's assume for a moment the devs DO add weapons to the game. What will you be shooting at? Trees? Water? KSC itself? It's not really an argument about whether it's realistic or not to have militarized space program but about gameplay. This game will never get a stable and working multiplayer so Star Citizen or War Thunder-like dogfights are out of the question.

Guns need multiplayer to be fun. And multiplayer in a spaceflight game is pointless unless it's a turn based strategy. And even that would be pretty hard to enjoy. More waiting than shooting and playing.

Edited by Veeltch

Luckily Squad has no plans to make KSP a combat game, it's not simply out of scope, but wouldn't be true to the spirit of the game, or to the character of the Kerbals.

As many have said, one of the attractions of KSP is because it's not another combat game, nearly everything else not aimed at young children has a weapon in it somewhere, it makes a change to not have to shoot or hit the bad guy.

Your enemy in KSP is gravity, you can't fight gravity with guns or swords.

(You can however fight gravity with explosives)

On 14/02/2017 at 2:19 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

On 14/02/2017 at 9:46 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

It is BDArmORy not not Armoury you are talking with an American

Your hillbilly is showing.

No, nope, no thank you. There's plenty of ways for Kerbs to kill themselves and each other without developing sophisticated home defense assault weapons and such.

2 hours ago, eddiew said:

I honestly think the day KSP gets stock weapons would be the day I stop playing.

There are hundreds of games with space ships and guns. There's a reason I choose to play this one over all of them :)

I have to agree...

To each their own. I do use BDA Armory and do use weapons - or sort of. In my mind's eye, Kerbals are fearless creatures - until it comes to the unknown. While Kerbals would never think of using a weapon against another Kerbal, they do feel the need to protect themselves. But again, that's the way I play the game.

I think leaving KSP the way it is, "unarmed", is the best way to go. This way, if you want weapons, then download the mod. If you do not like those weapons, then design your own mod. I can literally think of a few dozen things I;d like to see added to the game before they even consider adding any weapons as stock. Here's some things I think we would all benefit from:

• Make the old KSC center operational, including a runway and launchpad. Let it be  selection option in the map view. It would not need it's own tracking center, just have that function remain at the main KSC. But this would allow another dimension of gameplay. And more challenges.
  • Better rover wheels.
  • A two-Kerbal capsule
  • More variety in lander legs
  • Stock probe and rover cameras

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.