There's now 100+ new Exoplanet candidates that you can help find

Spaceception

Well then, this is most impressive

Also, I half expected @ProtoJeb21 to be all over this :)

Anyway, scientists found 100+ Exoplanet candidates using 20 years' worth of data gathered by the HIRES (High Resolution Echelle Spectrometer) in Hawaii, and it seems Lalande 21185 may have a hot desert. :D I wonder what else it could have.

All of these discoveries is making some people wonder if almost if not all nearby stars (I think like 10 ly or something) have planets around them.

Anyway, here you go!

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-need-your-help-discovering-the-next-exoplane-1792307596

http://www.space.com/35687-100-potential-exoplanets-found-hires.html

Edited by Spaceception
Weird links back to this thread :p

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

Well then, this is most impressive

Also, I half expected @ProtoJeb21 to be all over this :)

Anyway, scientists found 100+ Exoplanet candidates using 20 years' worth of data gathered by the HIRES (High Resolution Echelle Spectrometer) in Hawaii, and it seems Lalande 21185 may have a hot desert. :D I wonder what else it could have.

All of these discoveries is making some people wonder if almost if not all nearby stars (I think like 10 ly or something) have planets around them.

Anyway, here you go!

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-need-your-help-discovering-the-next-exoplane-1792307596

http://www.space.com/35687-100-potential-exoplanets-found-hires.html

You're right! I am SO tempted to analyze the data, but I'm gonna wait until the candidates in the K2 data are confirmed or debunked. I really want to analyze this as a way to get experience for finding planets with Doppler spectroscopy.

30 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

You're right! I am SO tempted to analyze the data, but I'm gonna wait until the candidates in the K2 data are confirmed or debunked. I really want to analyze this as a way to get experience for finding planets with Doppler spectroscopy.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how you're going to affect Exoplanet studies in the future, if your doing this in your backyard now, imagine where you'll be a decade down the road :)

Edited by Spaceception

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I remember finding out about Galaxy Zoo back in 2011, via the September 2011 issue of Astronomy. That kind of got me to eventually join Planet Hunters - and Zooniverse as a whole - five years later.

Speaking of transiting planets, my current studies with them have made it just about impossible to analyze radial velocity data just now. But I may have found an opportunity. I recently discovered that the data is for stars within 100 parsecs, or about 350 light years. IF I can find a K2 field star within that range, IF I can find a possible candidate with LcTools, IF it was studied by HIRES within the last 20 years, then I can possibly find that planet with both transit and Doppler data. That would make the object more likely to not be a false positive and show what world it truly is - a steamy ocean planet, a mega-Earth, a puffy planet, etc. I've been looking for such stars in K2 Campaign 1, and so far I've only found ONE, a red dwarf around half the size of our Sun 66 parsecs away. It might have something in orbit, but I'm not too confident.

EDIT: Also, the program meant to analyze this radial velocity data only seems to work with Mac and Linux computers. I haven't found anything about it being compatible with Windows. That may be a problem...

Edited by ProtoJeb21

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.