Most tutorials aren't helpful......

I have looked through quite a few tutorials and there was only one that helped at all.  It was one showing various mods.  I installed KER and NOW can get Delta -V and make my rocket designs more efficient.   Was able to cut cost of my orbiters by about 65%.  Nothing else seems to be of much help.  Most tutorials are for older versions of KSP (I am running 1.2.2.xxxx).  Either the presenters are assuming sandbox mode, or there is some trick they are not explaining.  I am running career mode.  e.g. some talk about subassemblies, but I have no idea how to store them for re-use....Action groups....cannot figure out how to create them.....Modular designs....related to subassemblies, I assume, but still no way to do it that I can tell.  I see references to things like KAS versus stock, but I have no idea what KAS is.  Many tutorials make getting to other than orbit seem easy, with maneuver nodes.....but how do I create one?  Clicking in map mode on the flight path does nothing in my game.  Do my pilots have to be a certain level?  I have seen examples where the pilots have 5 stars of experience, yet I cannot get mine past 1.  Can someone write a tutorial on how to get all these neat abilities that others assume you already have?  I can get to orbit pretty regularly now, and made one attempt to Mun, periapsis of close approach was ~3km and I crashed.  I cannot put up unmanned probes, or satellites due to low tech.  Why is it easier to put up a manned flight than an unmanned one.  Very unrealistic!  I am pretty frustrated with the game now and lack of appropriate level tutorials.  Is there a mentoring system where I can ask these sorts of questions?

Hi, and welcome to the forums!  :)

2 hours ago, Morgan927 said:

Nothing else seems to be of much help.  Most tutorials are for older versions of KSP (I am running 1.2.2.xxxx).

Yah, that's basically a fact of life.  Things age, people move on.  The tutorials tend to age.  Perhaps some folks find them useful, but in the three years or so I've been playing, I never really got a lot of use out of them.

On the other hand, the "Gameplay Questions" forum here is great, and I think you'll find that asking specific "how do I do X?" questions here will get you prompt and helpful responses.

some talk about subassemblies, but I have no idea how to store them for re-use

I've never used subassemblies much myself; I find the UI unpleasantly clunky, and I can slap together a new ship from scratch so quickly these days that I don't really need subassemblies.  However, there are other folks who use them a lot.  It's all a matter of taste.

To store a subassembly, you need to put your parts tab into "advanced" mode (the little arrow key at top left), then choose the subassembly tab, which will cause a rectangular "drop subassembly here" patch to show up at the bottom.  Then just drag your subassembly and drop it there.

Action groups....cannot figure out how to create them

At the top edge of the screen, towards the left side, are three buttons for choosing which UI subset to show.  One's for parts (that's what's displayed by default), one's for crew (i.e. which crew is in which part before you launch), and one's for action groups.

Click the one for action groups, and the parts tab will be replaced by the action groups tab.

Click on the action group you want to tinker with (for example, "Custom01" if you want the action group that activates via the 1 key).  Then click on a part you want to add to that group (for example, a deployable solar panel).  That will cause the action groups tab to list all the potential actions you could do with that part (e.g. extend, retract, toggle, whatever).  Click on the action you want to add to the group, and you'll see it move over to be listed under the group.

Modular designs....related to subassemblies, I assume, but still no way to do it that I can tell.

Not sure what you mean by that.  May be a design concept, but it's not an explicit functionality in the game, really.

I have no idea what KAS is.

A popular mod, Kerbal Attachment System.

Note that for certain very common terms that are used a lot in the forums (like KAS), you'll see a little dotted line drawn under them.  That means they're a common vocabulary term, and if you mouse over it, you'll get a tooltip telling you what it is.  It's a handy little feature designed specifically for new folks like you, to help you penetrate some of the jargon.

Clicking in map mode on the flight path does nothing in my game.  Do my pilots have to be a certain level?

If you're playing in career, you can't create maneuver nodes unless you have upgraded Mission Control and the Tracking Station at least once each.  In sandbox, you can make 'em from the get-go, since all buildings are pre-upgraded to the max.

I have seen examples where the pilots have 5 stars of experience, yet I cannot get mine past 1. 

The examples are probably done in sandbox, where every kerbal starts with 5 stars of experience.

In career, all your kerbals start out at level 0.  Getting them to Kerbin orbit will take them to level 1.  Level 2 requires visiting Mun and/or Minmus (you get varying amounts of experience depending on what you do-- simple flyby is the least, orbiting is more than flyby, landing is more than orbit, and planting a flag gets you the max).  To get to level 3 and above, you have to leave Kerbin's SoI.

Can someone write a tutorial on how to get all these neat abilities that others assume you already have?

Probably not.  :wink:  You might get lucky, but writing a tutorial takes time and effort and it's fairly uncommon for them to be created "on demand".

Generally you'll have the best luck with just posting specific questions here in this forum when there's something you're having trouble figuring out.  (Screenshots really help, in many cases.  You can take a screenshot in-game via F1.  To post a screenshot here, first host your screenshot somewhere like imgur.com.  Then right-click on the image, choose "copy image location", then paste that URL here in the forum and it will automagically get converted into an in-line image.)

Why is it easier to put up a manned flight than an unmanned one.  Very unrealistic!

You're not the first one to think that.  :wink:  Like just about everything in KSP, "there's a mod for that".  For example, I seem to recall that there's a mod out there that rejiggers the tech tree to do exactly that-- I think it's called "Better Than Starting Manned".

Is there a mentoring system where I can ask these sorts of questions?

Mainly just do exactly what you've done here:  post questions to this "Gameplay Questions" forum.  You'll almost always get an answer.  Usually a correct one.  And often an actually helpful one!  :)

Snark pretty much said it all. I would just add (if you haven't already), make sure you complete all of the training missions. Not only does it teach you an awful lot, you'll be hooked immediately (or not at all, I guess).

I've only played career as well, and as you've already learned, funds are everything. Complete as many contracts as you can, and right-click on each of your buildings and pay for the upgrades. The VAB, launchpad and tracking station most importantly. It'll change the entire game. You'll be able to build heavier rockets with more parts, which means you'll get a lot farther. Also, enter the admin building and enact the Unpaid Research Program. Commit as much as you can. It won't hurt much to trade reputation points in the early game, but the extra science will help you advance more quickly.

And just stay with it. If you like the game now, you're gonna love it when you get better at it.

One last thing, you can get by without mods if you want. I don't use any, except Kerbal Alarm Clock. It's a must later on.

And one last, last thing. As far as tutorials go, try EtherDragon's excellent "Why Does My FLIPing Rocket Always Flip Over?" It takes a subject that's pretty complicated, and makes it simple and easy to understand. It explained quite a bit for me. I think you'll feel the same.

Edited by Cubfan

34 minutes ago, Cubfan said:

One last thing, you can get by without mods if you want.

^ This.  You may actually want to consider eschewing mods for a little while, until you get the hang of the game-- may help reduce the load of stuff to learn.  It's a matter of personal taste.

In my case, I was playing KSP for the better part of a year before I installed any mods.  Now I write 'em.  :wink:  And use several others that I've found useful over time.  I've had a ball trying out various mods, but I'm still glad I got the chance to know and love the stock game first.

as mentioned by others, feel free to ask anything.   sometimes rather than trying to find a tutorial to explain things, its easier to explain your own situation and ask for specific help on what you are trying to do.   it makes it easier for everyone since no one has to assume anything.   and while i dont want to speak for others, it can be a real joy to answer questions and give a hand to those that need it, plus sometimes even we learn new things in the discussions.  this is my favorite part of the forum lol and love seeing new questions pop up.   You can think of this as a mentoring section

56 minutes ago, Snark said:

In my case, I was playing KSP for the better part of a year before I installed any mods.  Now I write 'em.  :wink:  And use several others that I've found useful over time.  I've had a ball trying out various mods, but I'm still glad I got the chance to know and love the stock game first.

In my case, I only played my first day or two without mods...   Playstyles vary wildly, pick what suits you best.

6 hours ago, bewing said:

Snark did a very thorough job answering the OP, but there was one teeny thing I wanted to add about Action Groups. You don't get them until you've upgraded the VAB or SPH at least once.

Which is a very silly pay wall to put them behind. I was so happy when they added the option to have them unlocked at the beginning in the difficulty options. 

17 hours ago, Snark said:

You're not the first one to think that.  :wink:  Like just about everything in KSP, "there's a mod for that".  For example, I seem to recall that there's a mod out there that rejiggers the tech tree to do exactly that-- I think it's called "Better Than Starting Manned".

The mod's out there, but it was never updated for beta, much less later ... you'd have to go back to about .23 and it's seriously difficult.

1 hour ago, Kryxal said:

The mod's out there, but it was never updated for beta, much less later ... you'd have to go back to about .23 and it's seriously difficult.

Fair 'nuff.  So I just now searched the Add-on Releases forum for "unmanned", and here's what popped up at the top of the list:

...perhaps that would fit the bill for @Morgan927's purposes?

I suspect that somewhere in the Universe, there are little green aliens playing a game called "Human Space Program", and they go on their message boards to complain that the early-game focus on aircraft and unmanned rockets is unrealistic.  :)

Anyway, "modular design" isn't a specific game function, but a design philosophy.  In a nutshell, it's where you design standardized subassemblies for various functions, then use these to piece together a complete vehicle.

For example, I generally divide my designs into a payload section and a booster section.  Then for any given mission, I just mix and match the pieces as needed.  It's quick, and so long as I took some care with the initial design, I don't have to worry about silly mistakes like forgetting parachutes or something.

First, I want to thank all for the responses.  @Snark, I love the avatar of a Tardigrade!  lol

I do not see a "Custom01" tab under action groups, but a later post by @bewing explained it.  I had not put ANY funds into upgrading the SPH.

I had not noticed the faint underline under things like KAS, but now I see them.

I will check out Kerbal Alarm Clock, though I can't imagine what I would need it for, yet.

I will go back and complete all the training.

Loving this game!  I finally got to the mün and orbited for 40+ days and returned (without maneuver Nodes).

Now I need to figure out how to land.

I need to figure out how to do deployable solar panels, and what equipment is needed to dock.

I need to figure out science labs.

I don't think I have the tech right now.

And after you figure those things out, there's another couple dozen things after that that need figuring out. :)

And when you have a dozen rockets flying around, and you miss a planned burn because you were watching 4 other ships, suddenly you'll see what KAC is for. :wink:

I recently started KSP and I found some of the tutorials very useful, but many of them are out of date and very few cover anything useful on career mode.

There are some nasty gotcha's wrt the newer version of the game, like maneuver nodes not being available at the start of career mode, but as long as you learn to use the "revert" and "quicksave/quickload" often you'll be fine I'm sure.

KSP is NOT and ironman friendly game ;-)

On 2/17/2017 at 2:37 PM, bewing said:

And after you figure those things out, there's another couple dozen things after that that need figuring out. :)

And when you have a dozen rockets flying around, and you miss a planned burn because you were watching 4 other ships, suddenly you'll see what KAC is for. :wink:

Yes, I know.  The story of this game.  Answers beget more questions.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:57 PM, Morgan927 said:

I will check out Kerbal Alarm Clock, though I can't imagine what I would need it for, yet.

Two things:

Don't install any mod until you understand why you need it. Every mod adds uncertainty to your game. If something goes wrong, is it the game? Is it your understanding of the game? Is it a mod? Is it your understanding of the mod? Is it 2 mods interacting in an odd way? If you don't have the mod installed, you eliminate most of those variables.

Kerbal Alarm Clock is amazing and I almost refuse to play without it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2017 at 10:39 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Two things:

Don't install any mod until you understand why you need it. Every mod adds uncertainty to your game. If something goes wrong, is it the game? Is it your understanding of the game? Is it a mod? Is it your understanding of the mod? Is it 2 mods interacting in an odd way? If you don't have the mod installed, you eliminate most of those variables.

Kerbal Alarm Clock is amazing and I almost refuse to play without it. :)

I use KER and DockingPortAlignment 6.5.2!  I would run out of monopropellant long before successfully docking before DPA6.5.2.  Thinking of using ScanSat and KAS.

42 minutes ago, Morgan927 said:

I use KER and DockingPortAlignment 6.5.2!  I would run out of monopropellant long before successfully docking before DPA6.5.2.  Thinking of using ScanSat and KAS.

Fair enough, you seems to understand why you need(/want) the mods you are using. Just be prepared for when a new version of KSP is released, some mods stop to work, some of those take long to get updated and some are abandoned. At this point you need to chose between holding your update or go on without the mods you used to rely on. Its not really a big issue, just something you need to be aware.

ScanSat: The maps are convenient but a bit demanding on resources. The science point generated not much of diference.

KAS:Great mod...if you actually use it. Some players will be impatient and just decide to launch whatever they will need in the ship they will need instead of dealing with the spare pieces. The link functionality is often regarded as a good way to refuelling ships without a docking port (personally I prefer EVA Resource Transfer), also as means of coupling planetary base modules.

4 hours ago, Spricigo said:

The link functionality is often regarded as a good way to refuelling ships without a docking port (personally I prefer EVA Resource Transfer),

Ok, what is EVA resource Transfer.....something I have been able to do all along?

On 2/17/2017 at 0:57 PM, Morgan927 said:

@bewing will check out Kerbal Alarm Clock, though I can't imagine what I would need it for, yet.

Don't bother with KAC yet.  So long as you're only flying one mission at a time there's no reason for KAC.  Now, when I had a stack of probes in orbit waiting for launch windows to every planet in the system KAC was very nice indeed.

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Don't bother with KAC yet.  So long as you're only flying one mission at a time there's no reason for KAC.  Now, when I had a stack of probes in orbit waiting for launch windows to every planet in the system KAC was very nice indeed.

For some people getting KAC means chaining itself in LKO, they may even design a interplanetary mission, but then they plan a manoeuver to a couple weeks ago and in between there is just a ton of alarms for the "launch a satellite around Kerbin" mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.