The science behind fractures on surface of Eeloo!

cratercracker

I’ve never orbited Eeloo, but I had 2 flybys and I took some pictures of it.

What I saw is a planet covered in fractures and strange surface features. But what caused them to appear?

I have 3 hypothesis about this strange planet

Eeloo once had a large object orbiting close. That might cause tidal friction and as a result fractures, valleys and hills all over the surface. But where did this large moon go? It is possible that it was kicked off from its orbit by a massive collision! And then escaped  Eeloo’s SOI. Perhaps it is Pol that once orbited Eeloo and the escaped?

But what if Eeloo is still geologically active? Maybe it has its own cryogenic volcanoes. Or powerful steams of nitrogen and ice, rushing from underground to surface really quick. But how does cryogenic volcanism work? It’s quite simple. A lot of gasses like nitrogen, methane etc. are buried under ice in the caves and all sorts of places like that, but when the pressure is way too big, ice cracks and let gasses escape and fly away from the surface. This explains all those sudden brown spots…

The last theory is that Eeloo has its own divided tectonic plates. That move and collide with each other causing earthquakes that leave fractures on surface.

But that all are just theories and they need your support and ideas!....

szW7KPJ.png

P.S im not really sure if you get the word ''fractures'' as i expect

And yeah about cryovolcanism, i would really love if you will mark where i made a mistake!

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

I always thought Eeloo looks a lot like Europa, one of Jupiters moons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

After binging on the internet looking at those 4 glorious moons around Jupiter, I thought the same thing. Since I use SVE as well, it's very convincing to compare the 2 with all those geysers going off on its surface and that faint white glow around it. It'd be interesting to explore the inside as well to find out what's going on, just like Europa :)

Kinda wish ksp had a Ganymede and Io as well now xD

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

I always thought Eeloo looks a lot like Europa, one of Jupiters moons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

check the article and look at the "surface features" and especially the "Lineae" subarticle, you might find it interesting.

cheers

Daf

I've actually read all the articles about solar system moons and know all of them! Wanna know about cryovolcanism -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceladus and i think it looks more like Enceladus:wink:

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

I've actually read all the articles about solar system moons and know all of them! Wanna know about cryovolcanism -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enceladus and i think it looks more like Enceladus:wink:

Cool! I see you did your homework! I meant to give you Europa as a starter and then follow up with Enceladus.

Eeloo should really be called "Euroladus":

From Europa, Eeloo has the brown stripes and the large ice crust, as well as the approximate size.

From Enceladus, Eeloo has the position (It would have been planned to orbit GP2; OPM makes it a mun of Sarnus), the general appearance (very, very white), and the valleys, that are called "tiger stripes" on Enceladus.

So, it would be safe to say those stripes are faults, cf Europa, as it has a complex plate tectonics system just like Earth.

Eeloo as an inner moon of Sarnus (OPM) actually to me makes the most sense.  Plenty of theoretical tidal heating there, not withstanding the 1/10th physics "reality hole."  :)  I just managed to successfully land a probe there, but missed my target- I wanted to be within meters of a rift.

Edited by GarrisonChisholm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.