Ike is a vacuum cleaner...

Biggen

If you adjusted your inclination a bit, Ike's SOI bubble would miss you entirely.

Though i don't know exactly how much, but i'd say that having a polar orbit would be good for avoiding Ike and for having more landing options, or landing at the poles of Ike would have a beautiful view of Duna.

(Not efficient, if I must say)

Hope my suggestions help!

Cheers!

-TheKorbinger

35 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

To me, Ike is still clear for a microsat-with-RA2 commnet, so no big deal. I set up one on Duna and Ike without difficulty.

Because Dunastationnary orbit (which is almost exactly Ike's) hasn't many purposes, does it?

Yeah, you are right.  I don't even bother with geostationary around Duna.  I just setup three evenly spaced sats around Duna and just make sure that whatever I land on Ike is always facing Duna.  It means I miss the "dark side" of Ike (compared to Duna) but thats ok...

Edited by Biggen

Just now, Biggen said:

Yeah, you are right.  I don't even bother with geostationary on Ike.  I just setup three evenly spaced sats around Duna and just make sure that whatever I land on Ike is always facing Duna.  It means I miss the "dark side" of Ike (compared to Duna) but thats ok...

Being a big fan of unnecessary complexity, I sent one probe with 6 microsats for both at once.

The book THE FOUNTAINS OF PARADISE, by Arthur C Ckarke, mentions a problem like this. The character wants to build an space elevator (you know, an elevator in the equator that rises up to a station positioned in a stationary orbit). He is having problems to do it on earth and a Martian (human!) banker proposes do give it a try on mars. He then imagines it to be impossible because the altitude of stationary orbit in mars is near Phobos' SoI.... and the station would be swept by the sattelite.

Same happens in KSP! Ike is in stationary orbit. If your sattelite is anything but in an exactelly identical orbit, it will be caught by ike sooner or later.

Why that swinging shown in the GIF above, though? An inclination in orbit?

Edited by Daniel Prates

23 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Why that swinging shown in the GIF above, though? An inclination in orbit?

Yes, it's called libration, and it's because Ike's orbit is not perfectly circular nor zero inclination.

From the surface of Ike, Duna would similarly librate. And from the surface of the Moon, Earth would appear to librate.

Also, Ike have bad habit of throwing out spacecraft from Duna rescue contracts.

Once I had to plan an Kerbol intercept to rescue poor Kerbal thrown out of Duna system.

The amount of times that I have needed to change, or improvise, an approach to Duna because of Ike getting in the way, seems to be grossly out of proportion with the actual amount of Ike's in existance.

I have begun thinking of the term "Ike" as one of those words that don't really have a singular or a plural. Like "dirt", or "milk", or "radiation".

Rolled around in the mud? You'll now need to deal with the dirt on your clothes.
Handling uranium, or somesuch element? You'll need to deal with the radiation it emits.
Going to Duna? You'll need to deal with the Ike that surrounds all of it.

On 2/17/2017 at 2:13 PM, Gordon Fecyk said:

I managed to do this and not upset Ike:

DunaSynchOrbit.png

That was a case of matching Ike's orbit as precisely as I could. Duna-synchronous, if not Duna-stationary.

Nice.  One each at the leading and trailing Lagrange positions (L4 and L5), and one at (if the game handled the physics using real n-body calculation) the opposition point (L3).  The latter should be a tiny bit further from Duna than Ike is, but the difference might be too small to notice.  The L4 and L5 are stable enough you wouldn't even need station keeping thrusters (in real life the corresponding Jupiter-Sun points actually have families of asteroids captured from the main belt), but you'd probably need to make provision to refuel the L3 station in proper physics; it's only metastable.

On 16/02/2017 at 9:58 PM, ZentroCatson said:

Been there, done that :D My latest Duna mothership (and my first manned mission to Duna) was accompanied by two satellites, one for scanning the surface of Duna and the other as comms relay. As you might have guessed the scanner was put in a polar orbit, but I decided to leave the commsat in an equatorial orbit. Just now I noticed the Duna mothership had rather weak relay signal... and then I noticed the commsat was gone. Either the SOI kraken ate it or it crashed into Ike...

Anyways, looks like the two Kerbals on the ship will have to play board games for the next year!

I had exactly this situation (Ike trying to eat my comms relay) a few days ago, but fortunately I noticed the change from an equatorial orbit of Duna to a highly elliptic orbit of Ike, with a periapsis in the middle of the moon, in time to make a burn to put it back into orbit of Duna, but a tighter one this time.

I had a satellite orbiting Duna with a pretty eccentric orbit. Then I noticed it is no longer orbiting Duna, its is orbiting Kerbol

I had my suspicions but now thanks to this thread I am sure - IKE YOU STOLE MY SATELLITE

Edited by Acolyte

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/16/2019 at 10:52 AM, colonoscopy said:

still waiting when flying vacuum cleaners mode will be introduced :lol:

just imagine - flying vcs with their long tubes sucking vaccum, lol

which model do you think will be funny to watch flying?

UQgvTOm.png

Shark! I own it in reality, so it will be awesome!

PLS send me a picture!!:D

On 2/17/2017 at 5:48 AM, Delay said:

Well, they'd also orbit each other instead one orbiting the other, right? Seems like Ike is pretty strong.

Assuming the SigmaBinary mod uses correct values and calculations, it shows the barycentre for the Duna-Ike system would indeed be outside of Duna.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

Because Dunastationnary orbit (which is almost exactly Ike's) hasn't many purposes, does it?

Yeah. It also doesn't serve any practical purpose in KSP as a whole because all our antennae are effectively omnidirectional. The point of geostationary satellites in reality is to avoid needing expensive tracking antennae on Earth to get a signal; just build them facing a certain point in the sky and you're good.

Edited by Guest

Yeah. Large angular size, equatorial orbit, decent gravity compared to its parent body, and position in synchronous orbit mean Ike encounters are incredibly common, and often dangerous. It also means, perhaps annoyingly, that Synchronous orbit of Ike is impossible. At least barring some way to bounce between SOIs.

Edited by Pds314

A high speed Equatorial Duna flyby has a pretty high chance of an Ike encounter. Ike's SOI is 2360 km wide, and its orbit is 7040 km wide. With 2 chances for an encounter. That means if Ike is on a specific 4720 km out of its 22000 km orbital path, you will encounter it. That gives you a 21.3% chance of an Ike encounter either on the way in or out.

Reducing the speed increases the odds, as does more flybys. An aerocapture that has a long arcing trajectory should have in excess of 32% Ike encounter rate. In reality though it could be significantly higher depending on the orbital eccentricity and apoapsis attitude, because Ike could sneak up behind you or you could hit it at an angle.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.