Space Elevator and Refuel Station

7 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

water physics should be added the game

i believe that was added on the 1.1 change logs?

7 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

space elevator and to use for a refueling station for long range missions

A long range mission, fueled at Kerbin?...not very long range now is it:/

1 minute ago, Sgt Doomball said:

I meant like when going outside the Kerbin Solar system

Then refueling at Kerbin is the default, since the ship is still close to Kerbin and easy to refuel. It's like saying the Mars ITS ships are refueling for a long range mission...no, they are going to the closest other planet. New Horizons had a long range mission (to Pluto), and it didn't refuel

6 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

Then refueling at Kerbin is the default, since the ship is still close to Kerbin and easy to refuel. It's like saying the Mars ITS ships are refueling for a long range mission...no, they are going to the closest other planet. New Horizons had a long range mission (to Pluto), and it didn't refuel

That is because after sub orbit the sattilite is launched and only runs on batteries only.

And i meant manned missions

1 hour ago, Sgt Doomball said:

That is because after sub orbit the sattilite is launched and only runs on batteries only.

Additional post launch delta-v of over 290 m/s (1,000 km/h; 650 mph) is provided by a 77 kg (170 lb) internal tank.

I am not sure who to believe, because someone is lying. That same someone is going to tell me that 290m/s dv means nothing in terms of a real solar system. Or they will tell me that if they had a space elevator, they could've put more fuel into new horizons. That someone will definitely never admit that they were wrong because they did not do any research on what they said. They will probably just say that they mistakenly believed it was true at that time.

3 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

Additional post launch delta-v of over 290 m/s (1,000 km/h; 650 mph) is provided by a 77 kg (170 lb) internal tank.

I am not sure who to believe, because someone is lying. That same someone is going to tell me that 290m/s dv means nothing in terms of a real solar system. Or they will tell me that if they had a space elevator, they could've put more fuel into new horizons. That someone will definitely never admit that they were wrong because they did not do any research on what they said. They will probably just say that they mistakenly believed it was true at that time.

I do want to say this, New Horizons and another satellite just has enough delta v for its RCS systems an for maneuvering. 

32 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

I do want to say this, New Horizons and another satellite just has enough delta v for its RCS systems an for maneuvering. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

So, it does not run on batteries only? :huh:

Anyway, pitting your arguments against each other is totally off topic. For the boats you need new parts. The water physics is already there(submarine players very validly disagree though). The space elevator is the tricky part, since craft in KSP longer than 1km become very glitchy. Sure it will be a cable instead of truss segments, but it is still attached to a ship craft, and also to a counterweight craft over 2 000 000m away in space.

In KSP a craft is only rendered(for physics) up to 2.3km away, but some mods increase this...but not to +2Mm away. This leads to ALL the craft in kerbin orbit also being rendered(because they could maybe have something to do with the elevator...this hogs all your systems performance).

What happens in time warp? A space elevator counter weight is by definition not in a free fall orbit, so it cannot be shortcut-time-warped like other craft. You do know that ascending by space elevator is much, much slower than rockets? Even on a Kerbin scale, it takes over 3 hours to climb a 2000km cable going at 166m/s(mag lev rail speeds). And we though Ion propulsion in KSP was boring and slow...:wink:

10 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

So, it does not run on batteries only? :huh:

Anyway, pitting your arguments against each other is totally off topic. For the boats you need new parts. The water physics is already there(submarine players very validly disagree though). The space elevator is the tricky part, since craft in KSP longer than 1 km become very glitchy. Sure it will be a cable instead of truss segments, but it is still attached to a ship craft, and also to a counterweight craft over 2, 000, 000 m away in space.

In KSP a craft is only rendered(for physics) up to 2.3km away, but some mods increase this...but not to +2 Mm away. This leads to ALL the craft in kerbin orbit also being rendered(because they could maybe have something to do with the elevator...this hogs all your systems performance).

What happens in time warp? A space elevator counter weight is by definition not in a free fall orbit, so it cannot be shortcut-time-warped like other craft. You do know that ascending by space elevator is much, much slower than rockets? Even on a Kerbin scale, it takes over 3 hours to climb a 2000 km cable going at 166 m/s(mag lev rail speeds). And we thought Ion propulsion in KSP was boring and slow...:wink:

With the elevator it could be using the anti gravity repulsors from Kerbal Foundries but with the system requirements i can tell you that it ran little slower with all the mods I put on the game. 

As for water physics they only exist on splash down, not naturally like waves and weather. So in context the submarine players they're right.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwizg42l4ZfSAhWh6oMKHV9oCcIQFghQMAo&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Fgaming%2Fcomments%2F3wrg3h%2Fwhich_game_has_the_best_waterphysicsgraphics%2F&usg=AFQjCNEWwSui411C5qbOzlUnSCDYjC4-kA

if the stock game came preinstalled with a refueling station, it would defeat the challenge of building one your self, which is what makes the game (for me at least) fun. It would also stop you from being able to make it "your station" since it would be identical to everyone all the time, it would not be unique.

I'd love to see better fluid effects in KSP, including flowing rivers and lava, and snow/rainfall.

I'd also like to win the Euromillions 4 times a year forever, use alchemy to turn all Trump's gold to lead, marry Halle Berry AND Natalie Portman polygamously (my current wife can stay if she wants, but their partners get the boot), and arm-wrestle Jesus (pre-crucifiction mode). I suspect all these things are equally likely to happen in my lifetime.

Space elevators are interesting, in the same way that microwaving popcorn is interesting. Except you don't get a tasty snack at the end. And popcorn is cheap. And easy to make.

I'm gonna go have some popcorn now.

21 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I'd love to see better fluid effects in KSP, including flowing rivers and lava, and snow/rainfall.

I'd also like to win the Euromillions 4 times a year forever, use alchemy to turn all Trump's gold to lead, marry Halle Berry AND Natalie Portman polygamously (my current wife can stay if she wants, but their partners get the boot), and arm-wrestle Jesus (pre-crucifiction mode). I suspect all these things are equally likely to happen in my lifetime.

Space elevators are interesting, in the same way that microwaving popcorn is interesting. Except you don't get a tasty snack at the end. And popcorn is cheap. And easy to make.

I'm gonna go have some popcorn now.

:lol::lol:

16 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

With the elevator it could be using the anti gravity repulsors from Kerbal Foundries but with the system requirements i can tell you that it ran little slower with all the mods I put on the game. 

This makes no sense.

16 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

As for water physics they only exist on splash down, not naturally like waves and weather. So in context the submarine players they're right.

Which is good because this game is about space exploration.

This is a decent idea however...

1. By adding boats, like add a space elevator up to a space station. However this would most likely be the last thing you unlock because of how op it is.
  2. They should add Submarines like in the maritime mod. I kind of want to explore the ocean too.
  3. Even though KSP is a game about Space Exploration have you not ever wanted to explore the oceans?
  4. Imagine being able to set up bases anywhere on Kerbin via ships! 
  5. Basically the possibilites are endless with boats.
  6. A Space Elevator would be extremely hard to make considering the fact of weight, and rockets possibly entering the atmosphere and crashing into it would ruin the whole thing.

The only way to add a space elevator would be to have it like a building. There's no way to render it like a craft on the current engine and no way that the devs will rebuild it for the sole purpose of a 'neat thing'.  And if it is a building, then it totally takes the spirit out of the game because then you can just poof you stuff into orbit like it's no big deal. At extreme risk of sounding cliche, "Once you're in orbit you're halfway to anywhere", what is even the point.

We get motors like the Mammoth and Kickback for a reason, use them!

31 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

All right, so the space elevator is a bad idea. but instead how about a warp drive and a expanded universe that experienced players can explore and search for extraterrestrial life and eventually find the Sol System

The thing about this is, the technical level required for exploring a solar system versus exploring a galaxy is at least an order of magnitude, and probably two or three.  The game just isn't set up for that sort of thing.  There is a mod that allows you to add multiple planet packs and travel between them I think? But the stock game just doesn't need that.

Once Again you convince me to think about it more. So scratch the other two suggestions. What about a space carrier for ferrying missions to and from planets and for scientific research of the planets. It would be like the demilitarized version of an aircraft carrier. It would probably need a new launchpad for VTOL takeoffs for ships that transition from vertical flight on intal takeoff to horizontal flight, like a Venator in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Once Again you convince me to think about it more. So scratch the other two suggestions. What about a space carrier for ferrying missions to and from planets and for scientific research of the planets. It would be like the demilitarized version of an aircraft carrier. It would probably need a new launchpad for VTOL takeoffs for ships that transition from vertical flight on intal takeoff to horizontal flight, like a Venator in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Sounds like the kind of thing you could build in the stock game, not something that needs to be "added".

23 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

the launch pad I am speaking about is not like the rocket pad. its more like a inland dry dock no where near water. And it has to have hangar doors as airlocks or everything will be pushed into the vacuum of space.

An inland dry dock, what?  If it is inland - and presumably on the planet surface - then why does it need hangar doors?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.