Space Elevator and Refuel Station

On 2/17/2017 at 9:47 PM, Sgt Doomball said:

You Are never going to change aren't you?

On 2/18/2017 at 0:47 AM, Sgt Doomball said:

I meant it to @Blaarkies about his opinion.

:huh:
Please don't use double negatives, the meaning of your sentence is now very ambiguous. Are you not asking me not to not change my not opinion now, no?

Edited by Blaarkies

16 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

What about a space carrier for ferrying missions to and from planets and for scientific research of the planets. It would be like the demilitarized version of an aircraft carrier.

Do you mean:

• a deployable KSC of sorts, from which you can launch ships fresh from the editor.
  • a realistic carrier vessel with a complement of smaller craft for later deployment.

It would probably need a new launchpad for VTOL takeoffs for ships that transition from vertical flight on intal takeoff to horizontal flight

Why?

15 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

the launch pad I am speaking about is not like the rocket pad. its more like a inland dry dock no where near water.

I realise I'm reading some sort of analogy here but I don't understand it.

And it has to have hangar doors as airlocks or everything will be pushed into the vacuum of space.

Since there's no way to pressurise an atmosphere in/with any part of a vessel in KSP, no you'd be fine. This just isn't something the game does.

Lastly a note of caution to those posting here, let's not make the newbies feel like they can't suggest anything just because they don't necessarily understand the limitations (realistic or otherwise) of KSP's simulation model.

17 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

Once Again you convince me to think about it more. So scratch the other two suggestions. What about a space carrier for ferrying missions to and from planets and for scientific research of the planets. It would be like the demilitarized version of an aircraft carrier. It would probably need a new launchpad for VTOL takeoffs for ships that transition from vertical flight on intal takeoff to horizontal flight, like a Venator in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

Hi,

This sort of thing is possible in the game right now. Take a look @Kuzzter's ongoing graphic novel for an excellent example. I'm not sure that Intrepid (the carrier in the story) would survive a landing back on Kerbin but it's certainly capable of VTOL landings on other moons . It's also a fully fledged carrier with internal hanger bays for docking various designs of shuttlecraft and utility vehicles.

If memory serves, Intrepid could be built from stock parts, although Kuzzter used a few mod parts here and there for convenience (mainly reducing part count) and storytelling reasons.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Hi,

This sort of thing is possible in the game right now. Take a look @Kuzzter's ongoing graphic novel for an excellent example. I'm not sure that Intrepid (the carrier in the story) would survive a landing back on Kerbin but it's certainly capable of VTOL landings on other moons . It's also a fully fledged carrier with internal hanger bays for docking various designs of shuttlecraft and utility vehicles

Correct. It's doable all in stock; Intrepid's full complement of boats includes a Laythe jet, a mining shuttle, two RCS landers for low grav moons, a rover, four scansats, two expendable atomospheric probes and a deployable tow boom. All are carried internally, even the plane. Full ship can land on anything Minmus-sized or smaller.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:31 AM, natsirt721 said:

The only way to add a space elevator would be to have it like a building. There's no way to render it like a craft on the current engine and no way that the devs will rebuild it for the sole purpose of a 'neat thing'.  And if it is a building, then it totally takes the spirit out of the game because then you can just poof you stuff into orbit like it's no big deal.

Yeah, might as well just simulate your "space elevator" by using the cheat menu to pop the craft into an appropriate orbit at that point.

5 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

No I just talked to my teacher and he said most people on forums don't change their opinion very easily. If you could, come up with other ideas and post them on here.

Just saying, why on earth would you ask you teacher about a game forum? :confused: And in my opinion this forum is quite good compared to others I have experienced.

I did not ask him. I was telling him about the argument and he said people don't change there opinion easily. And this is a very good community of people that work hard in helping the devs with problems. With out this the forums I don't think the devs would be able to update as frequently or put as much detail into the game as they or fix the bugs as well as they have.

14 hours ago, Sgt Doomball said:

No I just talked to my teacher and he said most people on forums don't change their opinion very easily. If you could, come up with other ideas and post them on here.

I am certainly up to changing it, if i hadn't already written down so many words supporting it :P

You posted a question/suggestion to get some feedback on what is good/bad about it, i told you the obvious flaws i found with it. Did not mean to offend or shoot down your idea, I just wanted you to think about the other consequences that need to be handled for this idea to be possible.

9 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

I am certainly up to changing it, if i hadn't already written down so many words supporting it :P

You posted a question/suggestion to get some feedback on what is good/bad about it, i told you the obvious flaws i found with it. Did not mean to offend or shoot down your idea, I just wanted you to think about the other consequences that need to be handled for this idea to be possible.

Thank you for theat information I havent been that far out side of Kerbin's SOI that often and haven't built anything bigger than an aircraft carrier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.