Doing It Constellation Style

2 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

On a side note, I've discovered that Mechjeb autopilot can control a vessel even if it has no crew or probe cores.

The MechJeb part acts as a probe core. It needs electricity for anything more complex than information displays and it lacks an antenna, but it is essentially a functional probe core. You can control from it too, which can be quite convenient.

15 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

But Mechjeb can break the laws of 1.2.2 comnet.

Maybe that's a side effect of using Rocket Factory. The normal MechJeb core can't function without a signal if you have "require signal for control" turned on, and has limited control without a signal if you have "require signal for control" turned off, the same way a normal probe core works.

1 hour ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Rocket factory also has RCS that uses LFO, it's very handy, one less resource to worry about.

There's another mod which also adds LFO RCS. I think it's RLA Stockalike but I can't remember, I just know that I always have the LFO RCS thrusters available with my usual set of mods.

Here's my entry for the Mun Sortie Mission:

First, the Duna-V, carrying the Altair lander and KDS (Kerbin Departure Stage).

Launch:

k9cjJm5.jpg

Ditching the SRBs:

I1qi5ru.jpg

MECO:

knSKq3x.jpg

You can see my Altair lander on the KDS. I actually learned quite a lot during this mission, and it helped me iron out the wrinkles in the spacecraft's design.

(eg: I need to put Mechjeb on the Altair ascent stage, need to give the KDS a bit more fuel; I was barely able to finish the transfer burn, and add a probe core and an antenna to the Orion)

Circularising:

i1uepl0.jpg

Stage recovery confirmed that the SRBs were recovered; first stage separation:P2NRnSe.jpg

(Or, at least, my sloppy attempt to photograph the first stage separation)

Don't worry, the Altair definitely IS connected to the KDS. :-)

hv5qDZj.jpg

After the Altair reached orbit, I launched the Orion on the Duna-1:

23b8GWt.jpg

No pictures of the first stage SEP, here's the circularization: (As you can tell, I LOVE acronyms!)

if0wsM8.jpg

Extending solar panels:

XXo7NCh.jpg

Rendezvous:

Zmz5SkF.jpg

If this were a JJ Abrams movie, the camera would dramatically pan out to reveal the Altair & KDS. :-)

aFjC0kl.jpg

Docking:

qnt1CPf.jpg

And when I came in to dock... the ports wouldn't connect. REVERT! The port on the Altair was from a mod, and was supposed to be compatible with the regular clamp-o-tron, but for some reason it wasn't working, so I sent up the Orion with a KIS container, with a regular port inside. My engineer, Erger, went on an EVA, disassembled the modded port, and attached the stock one.

After docking, I began the transfer burn:

[Apparently, I forgot to take pictures of the transfer burn :-(]

The capture burn:

KTUT1BS.jpg

I put extra fuel on the Altair descent stage using Buffalo MSEV buckboards. As it turns out, too much fuel. The Altair landed with half of it's fuel left in the descent stage.

NmuiMqp.jpg

sDDOpwk.jpg

qaGnpVK.jpg

Above is proof that I have more than 1000 electric charge.

And below is proof that I landed all four Kerbals on the surface. (though some people will still argue that the entire mission was filmed in a Kollywood film studio)

hk2vDon.jpg

During ascent, I shutdown my descent engine and throttled up, hoping to ignite my ascent engine at full throttle immediately. I don't think the game recognized the fact that I shutdown the engine, and it still produced thrust, lifting me hundreds of metres off the ground. I quickly decoupled, and ascended to safety.

4q8cX1E.jpg

In the above picture, you can see the descent stage safe and sound, tipped over on the surface. Well, when I loaded up the tracking station to take a screenshot, the game broke, and spawned it 4000 metres up in the air, and it crashed to the ground in a series of explosions.

qHgpfTJ.jpg

Rendezvous with the Orion:

PBpyZ7n.jpg

My first ever rendezvous and docking without Mechjeb!

After transferring the crew and experiments, I undocked the Altair and began the burn home.

BgfUdig.jpg

After a small course correction, I decoupled the service module and prepared for re-entry:

YbQEPzV.jpg

That's a lot of broken solar panel pieces... they'll come back to give Jeb nightmares one day.

Re-entry:

od4H1vL.jpg

And after my parachutes deployed, I smacked into the ground before they deployed fully. So I had to revert all the way back to the return burn to reconfigure the parachutes.

Parachutes deploying:

0ayVYkQ.jpg

As you can probably tell from all the mishaps in this mission, I'm not one to remember to quicksave.

8w9YXHm.jpg

Splashdown!

Q6XGOLP.jpg

Score:

Launch vehicles. +10

Ares-1. +5

Ares-5. +5

Stage recovery 1. +3

Stage recovery 2. +4

Orion. +6

Crew safety. +4

Crew mobility. +1

Surface science bonus: I got 250 science from a surface sample; I've farmed so much science points from the Mun that the surface samples are the only experiments that deliver any science yield at all.

Objective. +20

Kerbin orbit rendezvous. +8

Accurate Altair. +7

Descent module. +4

Kerbin departure stage. +3

No fuel cells; I haven't unlocked them yet.

Altair orbital insertion. +3

Total:

63 points.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Congratulations @NISSKEPCSIM, you've completed the Munar Sortie challenge and earned the relevant badge.

AaTwHmF.png

I like the way you made the Altair lander, it was a good use of parts.

3 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Surface science bonus: I got 250 science from a surface sample; I've farmed so much science points from the Mun that the surface samples are the only experiments that deliver any science yield at all.

To clarify, is this with 100% science returns?

24 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention when I created this game, but I think so, yes.

I can't remember the usual science returns for the Munar surface samples. If you could check and let me know what the science returns are set to (you can check it in the options menu) I'll be able to add your entry for the Surface Science Bonus.

42 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Does the IRSU base on this fulfill the requirement for the IRSU for replenishing fuel on the Duna Ascent Vehicle for the Duna mission?

It does, yes.

30 minutes ago, HiThere!2 said:

So what mods exactly are we allowed to use?

And what if we only use mods that add engines and things? Do we still have to bring 4 Kerbals?

I'm not going to be too picky on what mods are allowed. As long as it's reasonably well-balanced it should be fine.

You do still have to bring 4 kerbals, mainly because I don't want to overcomplicate the rules by adding in a clause along the lines of "you only need three kerbals if you are using stock or you are not using any mods which add suitable 4-kerbal command pods".

3 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

It does, yes.

I'm not going to be too picky on what mods are allowed. As long as it's reasonably well-balanced it should be fine.

You do still have to bring 4 kerbals, mainly because I don't want to overcomplicate the rules by adding in a clause along the lines of "you only need three kerbals if you are using stock or you are not using any mods which add suitable 4-kerbal command pods".

Alright Thanks. I'll submit my entry soon.

Edited by HiThere!2

My attempt at the Mun Sortie mission... I forgot to take enough screenshots, so might have to do this again.

ZkDds29.jpg

Altair in the VAB. Wikipedia said the Altair lander was 7.5m wide, so I went big. I don't have any mods to make the lower stages larger, so it's a bit wonky looking.

VvQHmJN.jpg

Orion in the VAB. This one actually fits on a 3.5m stack.

I forgot to take launch screenshots, but they both made it to orbit and StageRecovery notified of recovery of the solid booster stages.

ofka0R8.jpg

Orion docked with Altair and the Ares V upper stage. I didn't quite make the Mun transfer burn and had to use ~100m/s dV from the Altair descent stage to get a close encounter.

04E5dGj.jpg

Slowing down into the Mun orbit using the Altair descent stage.

rLarBWz.jpg

4 crew transferred to the Altair and undocked from Orion.

Brt2FY4.jpg

Mun landing.

AZR8uO6.jpg

bQAXik4.jpg

Close-ups of the lander with Kerbals on the platform.

BrBUaY3.jpg

EVA to the memorial.

l90SfJy.jpg

Decouple and launch of the ascent vehicle.

uKm6FX3.jpg

The descent stage and airlock left on the surface.

9qLIhM8.jpg

038DCcP.jpg

Altair ascent stage reunites with Orion and crew transfers.

WS91NIL.jpg

RXn31yP.jpg

mspbtI8.jpg

IXhHXWH.jpg

Reentry and landing near KSC.

• Launch Vehicles +10 (unless my derpy Ares V/Altair doesn't count)
  • Ares I +5
  • Stage Recovery 1 +3
  • Stage Recovery 2 +4
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • CommNet +10 (I think? It's a default career.)
  • Objective +20
  • Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous +8
  • Accurate Altair +7
  • Fuel Cells +2
  • Descent Module +4
  • Altair Orbital Insertion +3

Total: 87

@foobar congratulations, you've completed the Munar Sortie challenge and earned the relevant badge.

AaTwHmF.png

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Your Altair lander looked excellent, even though it was a bit disproportionate compared to the launch vehicle. Exact replicas aren't expected for this challenge (in part because proportionality is difficult to get right in KSP) but your Altair is a good design mimic.

11 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Your Altair lander looked excellent, even though it was a bit disproportionate compared to the launch vehicle. Exact replicas aren't expected for this challenge (in part because proportionality is difficult to get right in KSP) but your Altair is a good design mimic.

Thanks! I just discovered TweakScale, so my Ares V will be looking somewhat proportional for the next launch.

28 minutes ago, foobar said:

Thanks! I just discovered TweakScale, so my Ares V will be looking somewhat proportional for the next launch.

Sounds like a good plan. Honestly getting the Altair to real-scale is probably overdoing things a bit since real-scale spacecraft are much larger than the KSP equivalents (the real Apollo capsule was nearly 4 meters in diameter, for example, whilst the stock equivalent is only 2.5 meters). However, I think it's definitely worth doing if it makes it look good.

Edited by eloquentJane

My entry for the ARM mission (full album: http://imgur.com/a/ycq27).

ARM launch on the Ares V:

CXlOqT2.jpg

9bLMRyR.jpg

Upper stage separation and fairing ejection to reveal the ARM, which will sit in orbit waiting for Orion:
F5X8qhT.jpg

Orion launch on the Ares I:

uof0ocY.jpg

qHekBTK.jpg

sZHNOZp.png

Docked with the ARM:

N0p3tY8.png

Rendezvous with the asteroid. The ARM separated to perform a solo attachment.

Shn8DwG.jpg

Finally found a spot that allows the drill to sink in!

sLdQuiJ.jpg

Orion docks, the crew transfers and mining operations begin.

pzWr29d.png

Decoupling of the Science Stick probe in preparation for poking.

zeOSXKt.jpg

The final poke (opposite the ARM of course).

gSiILGT.jpg

The crew transferred back to Orion for the trip home:

WGk9Tv5.jpg

yBSQ06l.png

Wx5U4Qj.png

Scoring:

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • CommNet +10
  • Objective +20
  • Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous +5
  • ARM +8
  • Crew Comfort +5
  • Moderate Duration +6
  • Taking Things Literally +2

Total: 86

I've updated the original post with the challenge requirements for the Mun Base challenge.

Just a warning: the Mun Base challenge, as well as the Extended Duna Mission (once that is finalized) will involve several (3 or 4) landing in close proximity in order to obtain the maximum points for the challenge. If your designs have high part counts and you are already getting framerate issues with the existing missions, it may be worth revising your designs for the extra missions to reduce part count if possible.

Edited by eloquentJane

I've made some changes to the rules for the Duna mission.

The changes are as follows:

• The uncrewed cargoes now require separately-launched propulsion modules.
  • The Duna Ascent Vehicle no longer requires independent power generation. It requires "sufficient power systems", which basically means either power generation or enough power storage for it to reach Duna orbit and dock with the interplanetary transport.

2 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

I've made some changes to the rules for the Duna mission.

The changes are as follows:

• The uncrewed cargoes now require separately-launched propulsion modules.
  • The Duna Ascent Vehicle no longer requires independent power generation. It requires "sufficient power systems", which basically means either power generation or enough power storage for it to reach Duna orbit and dock with the interplanetary transport.

Hello EJ.

I have been preparing a Duna mission for a while now. The hardware is built and tested.

What do you mean by "Cargo"?

As setup I have A Kerbin-Duna transfer for satellites, one for the ascent Vehicle, one for the habitat and one for the crew.

None are dedicated cargo.

Do I need to amend?

ME

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.