Doing It Constellation Style

I just completed the Crewed Duna Mission. That might be the most complicated mission I've ever done, but it was a lot of fun building and flying these craft. Thanks @eloquentJane! Checkout the imgur album for all of the details: http://imgur.com/a/3JTPG

9mQAp3r.png

Scoring (modded category):

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10
  • Objective +30
  • Extended Orion +8
  • Scheduled Transfers +6
  • Cargo Lander +8
  • Transfer Stages +5
  • Heat Shielding +3
  • Surface Habitat +10
  • Hab Lab +4
  • DAV +9
  • ISRU +7
  • Surface Mobility +3
  • Surface Mobility 2 +2
  • DTV +5 (the "inflatable" fairing hides a PXL-1 and PXL-9 with space for 12)
  • Nuclear DTV +5
  • Spacecraft Shipment +2
  • Mission Time +6

Total: 154

I've been looking at the Joolian Moons challenge and I think it could do with a few more goals. The idea is that the crew should spend most of their time on the surface of Laythe (hence the requirement for the habitat there), and I have a few specific goals for the other moons regarding how many kerbals should land there, and the surface mobility devices that should be included.

I think there should be some extra things to do in the Jool system (because such a large-scale mission should include a fair amount of optional complexity). If anyone has any ideas or suggestions about what might be a good idea to add to that sub-challenge, please send me a private message about it.

Parameters for the Mios mission are pretty much done. I still need to figure out exact timings (likewise for the Dres mission actually) but I think the time limit I have now should be good enough.

I've also added a tenth challenge. It builds on to the asteroid rendezvous infrastructure again, this time to visit a komet from the Kerbal Komets mod. I haven't yet figured out the mission parameters for this one, but it's likely to be simpler than any of the interplanetary ones.

31 minutes ago, HiThere!2 said:

Hmm, no stock "Crewed Duna Missions". Well, let me be the first.

You need to do the asteroid rendezvous challenge first. The first three need to be done in order (since they pretty much represent the major phases of the Constellation program), after which the other seven can be done in any order (or as soon as I finish the mission parameters for Challenges 7, 9, and 10).

Even so, good luck with that. There's only been two entries (including my own) for the Duna challenge so far because it is very complex (as far as this challenge goes, it's only really surpassed in complexity by the extended Duna challenge and the Jool challenge), but you might be a little pushed for time if the other stock entrants have been preparing for the Duna challenge for a while.

Edited by eloquentJane

1 minute ago, eloquentJane said:

You need to do the asteroid rendezvous challenge first. The first three need to be done in order (since they pretty much represent the major phases of the Constellation program), after which the other seven can be done in any order (or as soon as I finish the mission parameters for Challenges 7, 9, and 10).

My statement still stands.

I completed the Mun Base challenge. Checkout this imgur album for all of the details: http://imgur.com/a/Ryuc1

hAGKLLV.png

General (41)

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10

Mun Base (91)

• Objective +30
  • Base Size +15 (habitat, science and pressurized rover modules)
  • Crew Quarters +8
  • Science Module +8
  • Total Mobility +8
  • Pressure Preservation +3
  • Phone Home +3 (landed on the Kerbin-facing side)
  • Power Systems +9
  • Anomaly Survey +3
  • Long-term Stay +4

Crewed Mission (50)

• Objective +20
  • Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous +8
  • Accurate Altair +7
  • Fuel Cells +2
  • Descent Module +4
  • Kerbin Departure Stage +3
  • Altair Orbital Insertion +3
  • Mun Rover +3

Total: 182

@eloquentJane, can you clarify the mission profile you had in mind for the Extended Duna mission? Is the intent to re-do the entirety of the Crewed Duna mission in a different biome and ship two additional cargo payloads (large rover and Ike lander)? Or is the rover intended to replace the habitat?

59 minutes ago, foobar said:

@eloquentJane, can you clarify the mission profile you had in mind for the Extended Duna mission? Is the intent to re-do the entirety of the Crewed Duna mission in a different biome and ship two additional cargo payloads (large rover and Ike lander)? Or is the rover intended to replace the habitat?

The former is what I had intended. The large rover is meant to be a sort of mobile base, although the fact that it does include the same requirements as the standard habitat might make the original habitation module obsolete. I think I will change the rover requirements so that it no longer requires a lab and is less restricted with regards to habitation space, so that the original habitation module does not become unnecessary.

EDIT: Rules have been modified. Rover no longer requires a lab, and its habitation requirements have been made less strict.

Edited by eloquentJane

I have completed the Extended Duna Mission. See the full album (http://imgur.com/a/gBABI) for all of the details. Here are some highlights...

The DAV lander and large mobile base rover on the Duna surface:

SDwascI.png

The Duna Transfer Vehicle:

DH9Iqmj.png

The crew on the surface near the Habitat lander with the other payloads in the background:

EEf9T7V.png

Valentina planting a flag on the Duna face:

qn2v0tD.png

4 of the crew on Ike near the Altair lander:

ifip4d0.png?1

General (41)

• Launch Vehicles +10
  • Ares I +5
  • Ares V +5
  • Orion +6
  • Crew Safety +4
  • Crew Mobility +1
  • Commnet +10

Crewed Duna Mission (113)

• Objective +30
  • Extended Orion +8
  • Scheduled Transfers +6
  • Cargo Lander +8
  • Transfer Stages +5
  • Heat Shielding +3
  • Surface Habitat +10
  • Hab Lab +4
  • Duna Ascent Vehicle +9
  • ISRU +7
  • Surface Mobility +3
  • Surface Mobility 2 +2
  • Duna Transfer Vehicle +5
  • Nuclear DTV +5
  • Spacecraft Shipment +2
  • Mission Time +6

Extended Duna Mission (74)

• Objective +30
  • Change of Scenery +4
  • Mobile Base +10
  • Landing Systems +6
  • Anomaly Survey +3
  • Moons of Duna +10
  • Moon Lander +7
  • Moon Mobility +4

Total: 228

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, helcustom said:

Question:Since I'm running galileos planet plack would it be ok to substitute an Iota mission instead of a moon mission or a Gratian mission instead of a Duna mission?

I don't know a lot about GPP. Gael has two moons, right? If Iota is the larger of the two, then using it as a substitute for the Mun is fine. As for Gratian, if it's the most comparable planet to Duna (thin atmosphere, orbits the sun relatively close to Gael's orbit compared to other planets) then it is an acceptable substitution for Duna.

1 hour ago, eloquentJane said:

I don't know a lot about GPP. Gael has two moons, right? If Iota is the larger of the two, then using it as a substitute for the Mun is fine. As for Gratian, if it's the most comparable planet to Duna (thin atmosphere, orbits the sun relatively close to Gael's orbit compared to other planets) then it is an acceptable substitution for Duna.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joyous day, another think to pique my interest and waste time doing at some point!

General Score: 47

http://imgur.com/a/LrztW

http://imgur.com/a/1crNF

Launch Vehicles: 10

Ares I: 5

Ares V: 5

Stage Recovery 1: 3

Stage Recovery 2: 4

Orion: 6

Crew Safety: 4

Commnet: 10

Munar Sortie : 50

http://imgur.com/a/LCzNX

Objective: 20

KOR: 8

Accurate Altair: 7

Fuel Cells: 2

Descent Module: 4

KDS: 3

Altair Orbital Insertion: 3

Mun Rover: 3

Total Score: 97

Edited by Fraus

• 1 year later...

Mark my words, I'll finish most all of these.  Here's my entry to Munar Sortie.  This was done with mods.  

Crew - Original 4

Imgur gallery - https://imgur.com/a/EbNb92Y

Score:

General:

• Launch Vehicles: Only use replicas of the Constellation-specific launch vehicles (Ares I, Ares IV, and Ares V) for all launches from Kerbin (not including satellite launches). (+10)
  • Ares I: Your Ares I analogue has one solid rocket motor on the first stage* and one liquid rocket engine on the second stage. (+5)
  • Ares V: Your Ares V analogue has 5 liquid rocket engines and two solid rocket boosters on the first stage, and one liquid rocket engine on the second stage. (+5)
  • Orion: Orion is launched on the Ares I rocket and has space for at least three kerbals for stock entries, or four kerbals for modded entries. (+6)
  • Crew Safety: Orion includes a solid-fueled launch escape tower. (+4)
  • Crew Mobility: All surface modules have functional ladders. (+1)
  • Life Support: Use a life support mod (+25)
  • Commnet: Do everything with commnet enabled at the default (normal mode) settings or more difficult. (+10)

Total - 66

Mission:

• Objective: Using the Orion spacecraft and the Altair lander, send four kerbals (three for stock entries) to the surface of the Mun and return them safely to Kerbin. (+20)
  • Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous: The Orion spacecraft and the Altair lander are launched separately and dock in Kerbin orbit before transferring to the Mun. (+8)
  • Accurate Altair: The Altair Munar Lander includes a descent module and an ascent module, and has space for all four kerbals (three for stock entries). (+7)
  • Fuel Cells: The Altair lander is powered by a fuel cell. (+2)
  • Descent Module: The Altair descent module is left on the surface of the Mun, and includes: airlock, fuel and engines for landing, landing legs, power storage (at least 1000 electric charge). (+4)
  • Kerbin Departure Stage: The Mun transfer burn is done using the upper stage of the rocket that launched the Altair lander. (+3)
  • Altair Orbital Insertion: The orbital insertion burn at the Mun is done using the engines and fuel system of the Altair lander. You should design the lander to include enough additional fuel in the descent module to accomplish this task. (+3) 

Total - 47

Grand total - 113

2 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

This is such a well thought-out challenge I might want to park my 1.3.1 career and try it out with the latest KSP... are you still maintaining this thread, @septemberWaves? If so, might even be a candidate for @kerbalstar's new Heritage Challenge page?

It looks fun, it may be a good candidate.

Also, @Death Engineering are you still maintaining your heritage challenge?

28 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

It looks fun, it may be a good candidate.

Also, @Death Engineering are you still maintaining your heritage challenge?

Yep I'll keep maintaining my posts as long as the KSP forum is ticking and so am I.  ;) 

I like the framework and scoring system for this challenge, but I'd even consider rebooting my attempt at a K/Constellation based challenge if this one doesn't get some traction from the OP.

Edited by Death Engineering

3 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Yep I'll keep maintaining my posts as long as the KSP forum is ticking and so am I.  ;) 

I like the framework and scoring system for this challenge, but I'd even consider rebooting my attempt at a K/Constellation based challenge if this one doesn't get some traction from the OP.

Wonderful!

As I promised, I have returned for the second mission.  This one wasn't terribly time consuming like the last one due to having hardware aleardy designed.

Imgur Gallery (sorry, might be a little out of order, and ARM launch images got lost somewhere so I only have two of them.) - https://imgur.com/a/MucGudc 

General score - 66

• Launch Vehicles: Only use replicas of the Constellation-specific launch vehicles (Ares I, Ares IV, and Ares V) for all launches from Kerbin (not including satellite launches). (+10)
  • Ares I: Your Ares I analogue has one solid rocket motor on the first stage* and one liquid rocket engine on the second stage. (+5)
  • Ares V: Your Ares V analogue has 5 liquid rocket engines and two solid rocket boosters on the first stage, and one liquid rocket engine on the second stage. (+5)
  • Orion: Orion is launched on the Ares I rocket and has space for at least three kerbals for stock entries, or four kerbals for modded entries. (+6)
  • Crew Safety: Orion includes a solid-fueled launch escape tower. (+4)
  • Crew Mobility: All surface modules have functional ladders. (+1)
  • Life Support: Use a life support mod (+25)
  • Commnet: Do everything with commnet enabled at the default (normal mode) settings or more difficult. (+10)

Mission Score - 46

• Objective: Send a fully crewed Orion spacecraft and an Asteroid Research Module to rendezvous with a Near Kerbin Asteroid (NKA) - this is defined as any asteroid which passes through Kerbin's SOI - and then return the crew safely to Kerbin. (+20)

• Kerbin Orbit Rendezvous: The Orion spacecraft and the ARM are launched separately and dock in Kerbin orbit before transferring to the asteroid. (+5)

• Asteroid Research Module: The ARM is derived in some way from the Altair lander (it should be visually similar), and includes a grabbing unit to attach to the asteroid. It should be able to undock from the Orion spacecraft when near the asteroid, and land on the asteroid using its own propulsion systems. (+8)

• Crew Comfort: The ARM includes habitation space for all of the kerbals on the mission. (+5)

• Moderate Duration: The total time the crew spend in space is less than 20 Kerbin days. (+6)

• Taking Things Literally: As per the quote used to introduce this challenge, poke the asteroid with a stick. (+2)

Total score - 112

Edited by ZXStarFox

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.