The science behind Dres!

cratercracker

I know, I know not allot of people like Dres. But who said that it is not interesting?!

I’m going to speak about Dres’s strange color. If you did visit Dres you may have seen contrast of color on the surface. Dark brown flatlands and then bright grey mountains appear suddenly.

But what could cause such contrast?

My hypothesis is that Dres is a remnant of ancient collision. It struck large object which had different composition. Material mixed and made Dres look different. It explains a lot of canyons and valleys on Dres’s surface.It can be a salvage of Dres's orbital inclination and realtively small size(i know that some collison make more mass, but hey! some doesn't!)

It also explains asteroids that orbit dres. If I could make a flyby of them I could see the composition of asteroids and potentially find out what was Dres like beforer the collision

If you are interested how such hypothesis came into my mind check out an article about Iapetus saturn's moon-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iapetus_(moon) it is pretty cool!

And agin i am looking for more interesting hypothesis of yours!

8S9pjVz.png

I think your hypothesis is the canonical one. If I remember right, collecting a sample on Dres describes it as a mix of lots of disparate things with little bits of glass in, and a surface accelerometer scan mentions the planet is still ringing from old impacts (like our moon). It also mentions (though I can't remember which experiment) that Dres isn't differentiated so it's super low density, like Callisto.

As for the calico colors of our favorite planetoid to forget? Well, when a carbonaceous asteroid and a silicate asteroid love each other very much.... :)

AFAIK, Iapetus has two colors not because of a collision, but because of the uneven destruction of its ice between the dark Cassini regio, on which it sublimates quickly, and the light Ronceveaux Terra, in which it sublimates much less.

Here, this is not the case, because unlike Iapetus, Dres has a fast rotation period (It's 45 days versus 36 hours)

6 hours ago, MinimalMinmus said:

AFAIK, Iapetus has two colors not because of a collision, but because of the uneven destruction of its ice between the dark Cassini regio, on which it sublimates quickly, and the light Ronceveaux Terra, in which it sublimates much less.

Here, this is not the case, because unlike Iapetus, Dres has a fast rotation period (It's 45 days versus 36 hours)

Cool fact about Iapetus! Somewhat corroborating this is a material bay quote that one of the samples evaporates in the Dressian environment.... perhaps sympathetic to the sublime surroundings? If we're talking brass tacks, I suspect any collision with enough force to fuse two bodies together would probably also have enough force to fling/redeposit rather huge amounts of material in a much more even fashion.

I like my explanation though, much more Romeo and Juliet! :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.