Making a rocket to beat all other rockets

alpha tech

35 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

I've looked at liquid fuel engines and I will need the following

o.0   You're planning a very complex engine, and you think the electronics (stuff ten year olds are doing) is going to be hard part?

No offense, but you're not even ready to crawl yet, you're asking for the stuff you'll need for the third step and you haven't even taken the first step.  Education first, then all the math and engineering, then start bending metal.  Lather, rinse repeat.

Just now, alpha tech said:

We have a lathe, drill press, saws, MIG/Flux, and ARC welding, Oxyacetylene, cutting and wielding, Plasma cutting, band saws, sawmill, chainsaws, and etc.

and that is why we are making the test models for the flight data and computers.

Only if the revenue man will get me for making moonshine. and still haven't figured that out.

Okay, and I made an error, afaik the smallest orbital rocket is 9 tonnes. Assuming your testing is good, that might be within the range of possibility, but you're going to need a lot of money, I think someone said 20 million. And I'm pretty sure moonshine isn't a good enough revenue source, but you could lower the cost by having hardware stores sponsor you.

7 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

the first test are going to start with some unguided Solid rockets with parachutes.

does the srf get as hot as the liquid fuel.

No as hot.

Also regarding launching rockets in the US. I've just had a brief skim of the FAA website and to launch anything with more than 125g of propellant you need to get permission from the FAA for the launch, launch further than a quarter of the maximum expected flight altitude away from any other persons or property and be under the supervision of an adult (i.e. over 18) who takes responsibility for the whole project.

Edited by Steel

Just now, Spaceception said:

Oh.

Okay, what's the concentration of alcohol? Is it good enough for a rocket fuel? Here's a possible helpful link http://www.astronautix.com/l/loxalcohol.html

like the v2 73% ethanol and 17 % water

1 minute ago, Steel said:

No as hot.

Also regarding launching rockets in the US. I've just had a brief skim of the FAA website and to launch anything with more than 125g of propellant you need to get permission fro the FAA for the launch, launch further than a quarter of the maximum expected flight altitude away from any other persons or property and be under the supervision of an adult (i.e. over 18) who take responsibility for the whole project.

like not above 660 Deg Celsius

2 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

like the v2 73% ethanol and 17 % water

like not above 660 Deg Celsius

Also just FYI an ethanol/oxygen combustion temperature will be in excess of 3000K.

Solid rocket motors are more difficult to tell because the propellant absorbs most of the heat for most of the flight.

I aint got a million dollars

Well than you may not even be able to get into orbit, but again, you could look for sponsorship's with companies like Home depot, or Lowes, or anywhere that sells industrial grade metals, you may not be able to get it for free, but it could be cheaper.

Just now, Steel said:

It's above pretty much anything, thats why you have to cool the nozzles

@alpha tech Like using liquid O2 in the nozzle, I believe the Space shuttle did that, I may be wrong.

A Lot, Steel, Iron, Aluminum, Chromium, Etc

Pretty good  

Okay, that's decent, Any guesses on weight?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.