Making a rocket to beat all other rockets

alpha tech

Just now, alpha tech said:

I dont know I got to sell some stuff hoping to finish this 3d printer I am making out of cd from drives and ardunio and making a few hundred off of it

Ok. If that is how you make your bulk of your money I would not expect to make it to orbit yet alone space then. That takes millions of dollars and years of research.

Just now, alpha tech said:

I am only 16 and I get child support about 75 a week and I am trying to get a job this summer so I have to make the most of it

Well, getting a job should help a lot. Just make sure you put your money forward to what is most important though.

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

Well, getting a job should help a lot. Just make sure you put your money forward to what is most important though.

Well gas I only need about 60 a month and I should be making 400 a month at 7.25 an hour 4 hours a day 5 days a week . Minus taxes do the math about a good 300

This whole subject is something KSP is inspiring me to do also..... Put something into space! I have a launch site that is pretty much on the equator (just a few degrees north) in a country with very loose regulations..... My launch site is a few hundred metres above sea level. However, knowing how much easier (but less effective) the straight up and turn approach is I figured maybe using a balloon as the first stage and then an engine would be a good way to do it as an amateur.

Please, please, please post results of any of your real life tests!

1 minute ago, Andetch said:

in a country with very loose regulations

Which is?

2 minutes ago, Andetch said:

This whole subject is something KSP is inspiring me to do also.....

Model rocketry is really cool. Model rocketry got me interested in ksp.

3 minutes ago, Andetch said:

I figured maybe using a balloon as the first stage

They would have to be attached as high as possible on your rocket.

3 minutes ago, Andetch said:

Have been trying to make sugar motors. Have not had time to buy stuff though.

5 minutes ago, Andetch said:

This whole subject is something KSP is inspiring me to do also..... Put something into space! I have a launch site that is pretty much on the equator (just a few degrees north) in a country with very loose regulations..... My launch site is a few hundred metres above sea level. However, knowing how much easier (but less effective) the straight up and turn approach is I figured maybe using a balloon as the first stage and then an engine would be a good way to do it as an amateur.

I had also had the concept of using a ballon and a video camera plus a parachute with gps locator

11 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Making sugar engines should decrease the cost

I have been looking into kno3 and sugar mix

but I would be helpful to list some more suggestions for rocket fuel

7 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

had the concept of using a ballon

It would be... interesting.

7 minutes ago, alpha tech said:

but I would be helpful to list some more suggestions for rocket fuel

Google, buddy. The only other safe mix I know of is kno3 and charcoal. Which is gun powder. 

Edited by munlander1

The country is The Philippines, and I can't really find any laws on launching.... Only that the occasional plane flies nearby (within a few ground miles (like how the worm goes)) depending on which direction they are landing at the airport 30 miles away. Also, I have contacts in local government that can assist with getting any clearance that may be needed.

When I was a kid I launched a few model rockets, nothing that went more than 1km though....

With regards to the balloon idea, I figured if a balloon can take you up 50km ish (which is around the current record), it could drag a rocket engine up there by the nose, detach and then you have a fairly easy first stage, and the added bonus of at that altitude you need less aerodynamics/pointy shape.

I swear I read something about some university students that put some random object into space (a sandwich maybe?) but can't seem to find the article.....

12 minutes ago, Andetch said:

I swear I read something about some university students that put some random object into space (a sandwich maybe?) but can't seem to find the article.....

Only 2 maybe 3 teams have reached space. If it is true, I don't think they would put it on a sounding rocket.

13 minutes ago, Andetch said:

With regards to the balloon idea, I figured if a balloon can take you up 50km ish

I dont think the benefits would be worth it. You would have to worry about wind and other considerations. You would also have to get soar ballon to the Philippines to launch it.

15 minutes ago, Andetch said:

depending on which direction they are landing at the airport 30 miles away.

In terms of out of control, spinning in the air, that's nothing. You would also have to have a way to blow up your rocket. Range safety basics.

17 minutes ago, Andetch said:

When I was a kid I launched a few model rockets, nothing that went more than 1km though....

Estes pro series can do that.

Estes pro series.... Sort of thing that 9 year olds are allowed to have an afternoon playing with at some sort of fun camp? Coz then yeah, that's what I am talking about!

In terms of getting things there..... Well I wouldn't bother. I would build it there..... There are many people here who can build anything out of nothing, I am sure I could find a way! (Now don't show me evidence that I can't, because I enjoy living in my ignorant fantasy land - screw reality anyway, that's why we're all playing games, right?) :D:D:D

14 hours ago, munlander1 said:

Wiki. It went to 53 km. It was 3.4 micrometers thin. Not something you will be able to do.

For the helium balloon did it pop when it hit this altitude and low presure

Edited by alpha tech

I usually try to respond during 8-15 during 1st,lunch,3rd,and 4th and if I'm home I try to respond but I am usually busy at home. and for the past 3 day our 2ed block teacher has been absent and so I think she may be out for the week so we have ben just doing whatever

Edited by alpha tech

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey guys sorry for not posting lately I haven't really had much time but I have good news and well I don't know about any bad news.

the good news: Getting a new MIG/Flux welder from harbor freight. (3-4 weeks)

as I have mention before I have many tools and I needed a welder for basic metal applications and that way I can start on some parts for my engine

but I have been away from this thread because I haven't  had any time so I haven't read any thing yet but I will soon get back on track.

still looking for a job btw and it doesn't seem to be going well.

I'm not a engineer or a scientist, not even in my hobby so don't ask me any questions.

But I have read this thread and I do have to say a few things.
Doing what your doing with limited education in the areas of expertise necessary is insane.
You need a team. Just like Nasa has one. Even if you only send a gps up there.
It's metallurgy, electrical engineering, engineering, digital/software expertise, mathematics, physics, chemistry, aerodynamics, ballistics and so much more that I left out.
And in all areas above mentioned you have to make 0 errors to guarantee complete personal safety (not taking into account your crew)
Because one error in your cooling, mixture or metal composite and KaBoOoOmM!

However, it must be added. Completely unorthodox and out of the box ideas have had their success in the past.
How insane it may be. I really think it is possible for 1 person or several to build a rocket in their basement and get it to orbit.
I reall think that is possible and I'm sure someone will do it within the next 1.000 years.

But reading your comments I have a persistent clue that your not that guy. Unless your going to Quaddrupple² your effort and knowledge.

Edited by Razorforce7

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.