Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

1 hour ago, Combatsmithen said:

He could also use my SS if he wants. Has mechjeb on it, but I only use that to do orbital maneuvering, you have to fly the ascent manually. I tested 28 tons to LKO. Can get to a 250x250km orbit with that payload but it doesn't really have enough mono-prop left for maneuvering there. Perhaps once it reaches a 250x250km orbit a fuel drone from the station could be sent to it and refuel it so it can rendezvous. Most payloads aren't 28 tons though anyway unless you want to mass-transport LFO around.

EDIT: Also its very finicky to fly re-entry and ascent. I have ascent down. But i'm still kinda figuring out re-entry

Just an idea if he wants to put in the time to learn it :P. Overall probably not worth it

EDIT2: Another idea. Perhaps modules that look really out of place we could ask the owner if we can burn it up to allow the owner replace it with something that is more usable and looks better with an organized station design? I'm thinking about that rather large power truss under the asteroid that really gets on my nerves cause its solar panels are uneven :P

Don't worry guys :P . Between the VB rockets and my Saturn Shuttle I got launchers and orbiters down pat!

I'm working on Solar Truss A and it's an unwieldy thing at a modest 5x6m (height/width) and it's length at 27m! VB is testing to see if it can even get it into orbit as it is! Worst part is the truss (like the others I plan to install) is uncommanded so once I decouple it; I have to have a probe on standby to grab it as it has no way to control itself once separated.

Once I test it out and have it safe, then I'm onto the planning phase which may occasionally require a return to the VAB to test a new piece of hardware.

If all goes well, I'll enter planning soon.

9 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Don't worry guys :P . Between the VB rockets and my Saturn Shuttle I got launchers and orbiters down pat!

I'm working on Solar Truss A and it's an unwieldy thing at a modest 5x6m (height/width) and it's length at 27m! VB is testing to see if it can even get it into orbit as it is! Worst part is the truss (like the others I plan to install) is uncommanded so once I decouple it; I have to have a probe on standby to grab it as it has no way to control itself once separated.

Once I test it out and have it safe, then I'm onto the planning phase which may occasionally require a return to the VAB to test a new piece of hardware.

If all goes well, I'll enter planning soon.

Cool beans. Can't wait until it's your turn and you organize everything! Once my turn is up I'm probably going to start a polar station or send something to the Mun station to stretch the legs of my shuttle. Also going to try and incorporate a robotic arm into my shuttle so I can send dock modules without the need for a disposable tug. Because on SS-1 the way I had to do things was very slow and painful since the tug was wayyyy off of the COM

Edited by Combatsmithen

16 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

I would like to add a module, I have to add my name to the Reservation List, correct? Also, is there an up-to-date image of the whole station?

Yep! Just put your name on there, sadly you will have to wait quite a while. Since once ZooNamedGames is up he is going to do a complete station organization, he is going to take everything apart and put it back together to make the station look alot nicer, make more sense, and easier to dock to. It could take him till the end of june

Edited by Combatsmithen

24 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

Yep! Just put your name on there, sadly you will have to wait quite a while. Since once ZooNamedGames is up he is going to do a complete station organization, he is going to take everything apart and put it back together to make the station look alot nicer, make more sense, and easier to dock to. It could take him till the end of june

Sounds good, I have my own projects I'll be working on

40 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Sounds good, I have my own projects I'll be working on

In the meantime you could work on stuff like shuttles, launch vehicles, stuff like that. As a sidenote we are making an effort to make this program as reusable as possible without going insane and compromising on stuff for the sake of reusability. For example my shuttles LFB's are non-reusable, but if I used SRB's I would have very little payload capacity

Plopped my Escape Pod on the station, since you guys are re-arranging the station it might help for transferring kerbals or something. I'll call the "SSTO" I used the Splitz, since it splits in two :rolleyes:

Flight To Orbit:

Spoiler

Taxi down the runway with the Wheesley since it can be unstable at high speeds. Hyperedit Kerman is getting a ride up to the station from his buddy Lazyso Kerman, who will be piloting the main part of the Splitz back to Kerbin.

y4mEYsp_f3gidMk6YE6P4FQrFNgq7AKFWe1_buOa

Rest of the engines on, takeoff and pitching up:

y4mC6LArLbjQe_EOeX1sWCVOY4JDbsnWkBvqVvnk

Pitching down to gain speed:

y4mr5ShUkp7xhLdNIFB5l3JElA8GifDcwu3Hqmti

Rising up through the atmosphere:

y4mkyj7yN274pxZzTqR23uZzhHjfAuOzMDjFt4vJ

Performing circularization burn:

y4mk6LmRuQLG6XVM27nk_xMTUhle3_bL6zmNNFjN

Ran out of LF here:

y4m8pk4hYW73G9q_EqBAjiRc7I3tcnHfuap8XPXJ

It's dark so it's kinda hard to see, but the "SSTO" is now split into three pieces:

y4mG7FUNNeL0cZpcU3Q_SnWd3lfztANIperyI9oo

Returning the Splitz to Kerbin:

Spoiler

Lazyso, now by himself, de-orbits the main part of the Splitz using the command pod monoprop:

y4mea7Egj_ksR-fdZj6gW8cS86pdljo477bAGFGu

Re-entry, enough has been said:

y4mLl3pycT9bX9pCIsq8KjnumwKqhwSLO_DTd0kO

Gliding down for final approach, as you can see I was lazy and didn't land back at KSC:

y4mxCfM1MmJ5eTvWUcvX5t8mb1zcOpBX0VrE_nJG

Rough landing due to my excellent piloting skillz, lost the Wheesley and one of the landing gear, but otherwise ok:

y4mJTYoxTo_5hT-oKKJml0iQonNoTua_m-qQW8EK

Enabling the de-orbit tanks for the back of the Splitz:

y4mMvdibic16y8rFnVb3jbWZ8cbPAdoYTfuVtEkB

Re-entry, bye KSC I just wanted to do my homework:

y4mV1RyUjFDZShbficAk-hQ0-4vpLSwAWMZWDXsT

Parachutes opening:

y4mqUM2cvoYGEx-YXy4SGAGMlc1DevvV9F363t5w

Touchdown for the rest of the Splitz, no damage this time!

y4mCxRHefjdVqtrUU6t6ajhd9Zb756JyWezm2b_S

If you look at this way, this looks like some poor SSTO had an unfortunate end:

y4mu37ew9yam_MrcGIx63LBEZoaU6jHGeFd5Nulb

Docking With The Station:

Spoiler

Got a good intercept with the station:

y4mu1jBaQdMVWFm3zan47ug-pGrlTxEsOgSGERrM

Killing off relative velocity:

y4mn1Ek-zAiLis8S78z4yV1WOZlDrxf-QEOMt4iR

Hello station, nice to meet you for the first time!

y4mKw7bcaakAZWnSVmY3YzWJ9pcsc_8QP63GGyzp

Docked, an escape module makes an easy docking experience, it has an engine built in, along with one Rcs thruster block:

y4m7dBBnjknLNMvjT3QENERquyjJXSOtK1K5K8rd

Put Hyperedit in this Hitchhiker container (an escape pod is no place to live!) and stole some monoprop for the escape pod:

y4mE5eZFliMELAUbp28xXvUnYh9XACVWkwTEGgDh

Some Notes: I noticed Valentina is a boy on the station, who made that little easter egg? :P

The Escape Pod is 7 parts total, but it only has one docking port so I've gone over the 5 part limit. What for you may ask? 1 RCS thruster block, for easy docking anywhere. Just count it as my 2nd docking part. :wink:

I think making the station 100% neat and orderly would remove the "kerbal" and "community" aspect to it, but getting rid of the klaws I admit is a must. A truss structure is a nice addition, however it needs to be expandable, just keep that in mind. Maybe @ZooNamedGames, once it's your turn take a final picture of the station before its completely re-arranged.

Edited by LazySoUseHyperedit

4 hours ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

Plopped my Escape Pod on the station, since you guys are re-arranging the station it might help for transferring kerbals or something. I'll call the "SSTO" I used the Splitz, since it splits in two :rolleyes:

Flight To Orbit:

Reveal hidden contents

Taxi down the runway with the Wheesley since it can be unstable at high speeds. Hyperedit Kerman is getting a ride up to the station from his buddy Lazyso Kerman, who will be piloting the main part of the Splitz back to Kerbin.

y4mEYsp_f3gidMk6YE6P4FQrFNgq7AKFWe1_buOa

Rest of the engines on, takeoff and pitching up:

y4mC6LArLbjQe_EOeX1sWCVOY4JDbsnWkBvqVvnk

Pitching down to gain speed:

y4mr5ShUkp7xhLdNIFB5l3JElA8GifDcwu3Hqmti

Rising up through the atmosphere:

y4mkyj7yN274pxZzTqR23uZzhHjfAuOzMDjFt4vJ

Performing circularization burn:

y4mk6LmRuQLG6XVM27nk_xMTUhle3_bL6zmNNFjN

Ran out of LF here:

y4m8pk4hYW73G9q_EqBAjiRc7I3tcnHfuap8XPXJ

It's dark so it's kinda hard to see, but the "SSTO" is now split into three pieces:

y4mG7FUNNeL0cZpcU3Q_SnWd3lfztANIperyI9oo

Returning the Splitz to Kerbin:

Reveal hidden contents

Lazyso, now by himself, de-orbits the main part of the Splitz using the command pod monoprop:

y4mea7Egj_ksR-fdZj6gW8cS86pdljo477bAGFGu

Re-entry, enough has been said:

y4mLl3pycT9bX9pCIsq8KjnumwKqhwSLO_DTd0kO

Gliding down for final approach, as you can see I was lazy and didn't land back at KSC:

y4mxCfM1MmJ5eTvWUcvX5t8mb1zcOpBX0VrE_nJG

Rough landing due to my excellent piloting skillz, lost the Wheesley and one of the landing gear, but otherwise ok:

y4mJTYoxTo_5hT-oKKJml0iQonNoTua_m-qQW8EK

Enabling the de-orbit tanks for the back of the Splitz:

y4mMvdibic16y8rFnVb3jbWZ8cbPAdoYTfuVtEkB

Re-entry, bye KSC I just wanted to do my homework:

y4mV1RyUjFDZShbficAk-hQ0-4vpLSwAWMZWDXsT

Parachutes opening:

y4mqUM2cvoYGEx-YXy4SGAGMlc1DevvV9F363t5w

Touchdown for the rest of the Splitz, no damage this time!

y4mCxRHefjdVqtrUU6t6ajhd9Zb756JyWezm2b_S

If you look at this way, this looks like some poor SSTO had an unfortunate end:

y4mu37ew9yam_MrcGIx63LBEZoaU6jHGeFd5Nulb

Docking With The Station:

Reveal hidden contents

Got a good intercept with the station:

y4mu1jBaQdMVWFm3zan47ug-pGrlTxEsOgSGERrM

Killing off relative velocity:

y4mn1Ek-zAiLis8S78z4yV1WOZlDrxf-QEOMt4iR

Hello station, nice to meet you for the first time!

y4mKw7bcaakAZWnSVmY3YzWJ9pcsc_8QP63GGyzp

Docked, an escape module makes an easy docking experience, it has an engine built in, along with one Rcs thruster block:

y4m7dBBnjknLNMvjT3QENERquyjJXSOtK1K5K8rd

Put Hyperedit in this Hitchhiker container (an escape pod is no place to live!) and stole some monoprop for the escape pod:

y4mE5eZFliMELAUbp28xXvUnYh9XACVWkwTEGgDh

Some Notes: I noticed Valentina is a boy on the station, who made that little easter egg? :P

The Escape Pod is 7 parts total, but it only has one docking port so I've gone over the 5 part limit. What for you may ask? 1 RCS thruster block, for easy docking anywhere. Just count it as my 2nd docking part. :wink:

I think making the station 100% neat and orderly would remove the "kerbal" and "community" aspect to it, but getting rid of the klaws I admit is a must. A truss structure is a nice addition, however it needs to be expandable, just keep that in mind. Maybe @ZooNamedGames, once it's your turn take a final picture of the station before its completely re-arranged.

Will do, but be forewarned that there is a lot of on paper planning that needs to be done first and I'm intending to begin that phase soon (if not today). 

The planning will help decide how each module will attach and hopefully allow for smooth additions for new modules around the new ones.

Just now, Joseph Kerman said:

Please no mods.

I don't put mods on the station. I actually use my Kerbal War Program Save but only use mechjeb on the shuttle currently. I wanted infernal robotics so I could make a robotic arm to aid docking

Just now, Combatsmithen said:

I don't put mods on the station. I actually use my Kerbal War Program Save but only use mechjeb on the shuttle currently. I wanted infernal robotics so I could make a robotic arm to aid docking

Which will mean that others who doesn't have that mod cannot run the station.

I put a small core module into Polar Orbit. The next recommended step is to send a 6 way adapter to the station to expand docking space in all directions since there is only one SR Port on the module itself.

The shuttle landing was a disaster sadly. We lost 3 brave Kerbals. There is one Kerbal from the shuttle on the station core. Kinda went for a Zarya module feel with the two solar panels.

The shuttle was also modified with a robotic arm, which was jammed because apparently, you can't remove struts with KIS tools.

Save will be up shortly

Going to try KJR with the arm to see if that stops it from flopping about on launch so I don't need the struts

Edited by Combatsmithen

5 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

I put a small core module into Polar Orbit. The next recommended step is to send a 6 way adapter to the station to expand docking space in all directions since there is only one SR Port on the module itself.

The shuttle landing was a disaster sadly. We lost 3 brave Kerbals. There is one Kerbal from the shuttle on the station core. Kinda went for a Zarya module feel with the two solar panels.

The shuttle was also modified with a robotic arm, which was jammed because apparently, you can't remove struts with KIS tools.

Save will be up shortly

Going to try KJR with the arm to see if that stops it from flopping about on launch so I don't need the struts

If you're using Infernal Robotics, make sure to use the KJR Dev Build, otherwise it'll jam up IR.

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If you're using Infernal Robotics, make sure to use the KJR Dev Build, otherwise it'll jam up IR.

I'm using the latest build of KJR. Can't find anything labelled "dev build". Haven't tested IR with it yet tho

1 hour ago, Combatsmithen said:

I'm using the latest build of KJR. Can't find anything labelled "dev build". Haven't tested IR with it yet tho

I'm not sure which version you have, but here's a link to the Dev Build.  It's different than on the forum thread.

https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement

@ZooNamedGames Here is my Arm 

I'd consider it done, has a rotator under each hinge, giving it the most range of motion. Has 2 full size I-beams, 1 as base, 1 as mid, then 2 pocket edition ones, 1 for far, and 1 for tip, with an electromagnet on the end from KAS. Has a decoupler under the base rotator so I can decouple the arm for re-entry since it throws off the aerodynamics by quite a bit. May have to move those two solar panels as they cut it quite close.

And the not being able to remove the struts issue was me being dumb. I was pressing H instead of X (X is remove key, H is attach) So I don't need a fancy solution for holding it in place on ascent. The arm isn't too wobbly if you are patient with it.

The arm overall is probably 20% longer than a CRG-100 bay

Edited by Combatsmithen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.