Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

This looks interesting, and i might try it someday. Not right now since i dont know when I will have time.

I might send a tiny ore miner probe to the minmus station so it can refuel. Is there a screenshot anywhere of the current state of that station?

Also, how am i supposed to dock with only 5 parts+docking port? Since it is ment to go from the station to the ground and back again it needs rcs on itself.(Unless there exist a small tug of some sort but that one also needs 5+ parts for rcs...:huh:)

I also realized that a ore miner needs at least 6 parts(drill,solar,ore tank,fuel tank,probe,engine), hmm...

Does that mean that I am screwed?

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2018 at 12:32 PM, Eriksonn said:

This looks interesting, and i might try it someday. Not right now since i dont know when I will have time.

I might send a tiny ore miner probe to the minmus station so it can refuel. Is there a screenshot anywhere of the current state of that station?

Also, how am i supposed to dock with only 5 parts+docking port? Since it is ment to go from the station to the ground and back again it needs rcs on itself.(Unless there exist a small tug of some sort but that one also needs 5+ parts for rcs...:huh:)

I also realized that a ore miner needs at least 6 parts(drill,solar,ore tank,fuel tank,probe,engine), hmm...

Does that mean that I am screwed?

Nope, it means you'll have to launch two missions to assemble your probe. Or more than two! You can make a 5-part solar array which docks to a 5-part engine/landing assembly which docks to a 5-part refinery/drill assembly which docks to a 5-part RCS tug, then land the whole thing.

If you use KAS and don't leave any KAS parts in orbit you can actually assemble the whole thing without docking ports to make it a bit less laggy / reduce part count. 

Or start a Minmus surface base, if there isn't one already.

Edited by dire

9 hours ago, Jetski said:

I love that this station is still going.  I was looking at my old posts, and I figured out that the original challenge this is based on I ran almost 3 years ago in 1.05!  Great job keeping this going @53miner53

Thanks! To be honest though, a lot of it is others helping out, like the post above you. 

• 1 month later...

Hi there, checking back on this thread. It's been a little bit! (I was active here in 2017)

I did notice a couple things in the OP that may want to be updated:

1) The list of rules still says "must be in 1.4.1" although a lot of people now are probably running 1.5.x or now 1.6.x as of Jan 2019. Might be a good time to update that (although some people are sticking with lower versions)

2) The signup sheet on GoogleDocs could probably use a refresh. It was last updated in August 2018 and has a lot of old people still on there (for example... I'm still listed as skipped :D )

Lastly, reading through the rules I was wondering about the whole "5 part count" condition. Wondering if there's a conflict with what @dire wrote above about running multiple missions to accommodate only 5 parts?

I understood that each turn was to only have 5 parts, then you could take another turn after someone else went. Taking multiple turns in a row (assuming it's not busy) could get you there, but it begs the question why have only 5 parts in the first place?

I believe the original intention was that limited part count would minimize lag/loading. But running three missions in a row with 5 parts each (plus multiple sets of docking ports for connections) you end up with more part count (i.e. extra docking ports) than if you just put one module with 10 parts and a docking port.

Anyway, just a thought I'd share for what it's worth. Might allow this thread to be more active, if people had a more flexibility with missions and modules.

Good luck with the challenge and I'll look in here more often!

UPDATED March 20th: Guess there's not much activity here, since mine was the last post (3 months ago). Maybe someone will pick this station up again?

UPDATED October 2nd: Hello? :)

Edited by scottadges

• 1 year later...

To be honest, I had grown tired of hosting this challenge, and between that and people clamoring for using specific versions but not actually posting, and the first station breaking without me having time to reassemble it, I decided to let someone else reboot it. Here it is, in 1.8.1, if you’re interested: 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.