Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

3 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

Oh lol. Yeah I have to get rid of it because it causes aerodynamic instabilities when I'm re-entering.  Also a robotic Arm that can fit in a half bay is kinda useless unless it folds over itself, which causes it to take more payload space in the bay and overall may cause it to have more joints

I've been playing around with Infernal Robotics for the first time since restarting KSP (a few months ago).  Something you can do to secure the arm so it doesn't flop around is to put KAS Struts on it, and secure it before take-off and re-entry.  Of course that requires having someone go into the cargo hold while still on the ground. Another option would be to secure them with Stock Struts to a small decoupler.  That's what I used on this rover to deploy the rocker-bogie wheels.

Spoiler

Something else that can help with getting a robotic arm to fit, is instead of using girders, use Infernal Robotics Pistons.  I've only got a Mk2 SSTO built so far, but this was a way to squeeze in a (tweakscaled) robotic arm into the cargo hold.  Ignore the landing please.

Spoiler

I'm actually using stock struts. And when I'm in orbit and its time to use the arm I have an engineer get out and take a screwdriver drill from the cargo bay and take them off. The standard KIS complement for my shuttle is 2x KIS Strut endings, 2x Wrench, 2x Screwdriver drill, 2x K4 explosives (for demo tasks) and 2x connector ports (for refueling without docking).

13 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I've been playing around with Infernal Robotics for the first time since restarting KSP (a few months ago).  Something you can do to secure the arm so it doesn't flop around is to put KAS Struts on it, and secure it before take-off and re-entry.  Of course that requires having someone go into the cargo hold while still on the ground. Another option would be to secure them with Stock Struts to a small decoupler.  That's what I used on this rover to deploy the rocker-bogie wheels.

Reveal hidden contents

Something else that can help with getting a robotic arm to fit, is instead of using girders, use Infernal Robotics Pistons.  I've only got a Mk2 SSTO built so far, but this was a way to squeeze in a (tweakscaled) robotic arm into the cargo hold.  Ignore the landing please.

Hide contents

Nothing about this post is related to anything above it, just some things I noticed from my tour of the save file:

*The Eve Station is in a retrograde orbit :confused:

y4mU5UPTSqfW2q_dWGwX6hzBZPFOIW5tAP0zUWRh

*The Duna "Station" has been severely neglected :(

y4mwfU56MbEkFLPqX5XwWayXAVpzbjH6fQLQ_qhM

*The Minmus ISRU surface base has no docking ports :huh:

y4mBdS8AKQ3DI8qMbj_WrI4clcKWytXdCJomyQwN

*Whoever built this polar ring station broke a lot of rules :rolleyes:, I know @Combatsmithen started a new polar station.

y4m2BFz91KRK7retoabpWIOHRhjn4IhPhUbSsPw5

I'm just saying, maybe we could flip the orbit of the Eve Station and give the Duna Station some attention while @ZooNamedGames plans out the new KSS. What do you think @53miner53?

17 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

Nothing about this post is related to anything above it, just some things I noticed from my tour of the save file:

*Whoever built this polar ring station broke a lot of rules :rolleyes:, I know @Combatsmithen started a new polar station.

I'm just saying, maybe we could flip the orbit of the Eve Station and give the Duna Station some attention while @ZooNamedGames plans out the new KSS. What do you think @53miner53?

We'd need a way to splice saves but if your up to doing that, go ahead.

58 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

The single-launch ring station is just for show. I launched it.

6 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

The single-launch ring station is just for show. I launched it.

Well the mystery has been solved! Apparently they couldn't find who did it until now.

47 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

We'd need a way to splice saves but if your up to doing that, go ahead.

I didn't mean splicing saves, I meant while you figured out which way the modules went on the Truss Structure, we could leave the KSS alone, and people could use their turns to instead add to the Duna Station or something. I don't know how to splice a save, though I think it would be difficult.

Edited by LazySoUseHyperedit

12 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

Well the mystery has been solved! Apparently they couldn't find who did it until now.

I didn't mean splicing saves, I meant while you figured out which way the modules went on the Truss Structure, we could leave the KSS alone, and people could use their turns to instead add to the Duna Station or something. I don't know how to splice a save, though I think it would be difficult.

Well that'll also work. Just leaving it alone would be extremely useful.

Yeah, I thought it would be inconvenient to your planning if one turn before yours someone goes "Oh hey I added 5 Orange Tanks in a star shape as my module! Ok ZooNamedGames, you ready to re-arrange the station?"

4 hours ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

Yeah, I though it would be inconvenient to your planning if one turn before yours someone goes "Oh hey I added 5 Orange Tanks in a star shape as my module! Ok ZooNamedGames, you ready to re-arrange the station?"

That would indeed be a struggle :confused:

7 hours ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

When I add the Gilly station, I'll use the transfer stage of that to change the Eve station's orbit around. With Duna, people need to work their way to adding to that station after adding to the Mun and Minmus stations, but it does look a little sad.

7 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

When I add the Gilly station, I'll use the transfer stage of that to change the Eve station's orbit around. With Duna, people need to work their way to adding to that station after adding to the Mun and Minmus stations, but it does look a little sad.

I cannot add modules beyond Minmus.

7 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Well the Eve Station has had more attention, it has giant fuel tanks for refueling vessels there, so someone has given Eve attention, but not Duna. The Gilly station would be useful for refueling those tanks, as it would be annoying to send refueling vessels every time someone uses the station.

I have a question regarding station order @53miner53, is it ok to add a module to Minmus before the Mun? It actually makes a little more sense that way, since my first large space station was a refueling one around minmus. (as with a lot of other people), and it only takes a little more Delta-V to make it there.

4 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

Well the Eve Station has had more attention, it has giant fuel tanks for refueling vessels there, so someone has given Eve attention, but not Duna. The Gilly station would be useful for refueling those tanks, as it would be annoying to send refueling vessels every time someone uses the station.

I have a question regarding station order @53miner53, is it ok to add a module to Minmus before the Mun? It actually makes a little more sense that way, since my first large space station was a refueling one around minmus. (as with a lot of other people), and it only takes a little more Delta-V to make it there.

Sounds good. I have an idea: start with the LKO station, than complete the equatorial stations in the SOI, than continue on interplanetary, with Eve and Gilly, then Moho, or Duna and Ike, then Dres, etc.

10 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Sounds good. I have an idea: start with the LKO station, than complete the equatorial stations in the SOI, than continue on interplanetary, with Eve and Gilly, then Moho, or Duna and Ike, then Dres, etc.

my polar station= bonus points.

Needs a docking adapter sent up. Only has 1 SR port

Well I have 6 turns to wait :/

If no one sends up a docking adapter to the polar station by then @Combatsmithen, I'll send one up for you. If that's done, however I'll move on to fixing the Minmus ISRU's docking port problem, since I want to use that in future missions. (I'll just use the Klaw, before you say it's evil, you can undock it and re dock it for all your variable docking port heights on your vessels)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.