Kommunity Space Station 1.4.1

I am thinking about putting this into orbit as a core when my turn comes

edit: Ahh ok, I think I confused the posts a bit. Will patiently wait till I am first on the reservation list :)

Edited by FuzzyHead

18 minutes ago, FuzzyHead said:

I am thinking about putting this into orbit as a core when my turn comes

edit: Ahh ok, I think I confused the posts a bit. Will patiently wait till I am first on the reservation list :)

A core for what? I think it would be a great docking node expansion once @ZooNamedGames organizes the current mess of a station when it's his turn

@Combatsmithen your shuttle crash was similar to how I crashed the front part of the Splitz, except I fell less than 20 meters to the ground and I managed to regain some control before crash landing. Since I hit the ground hard with only with the right front landing gear, I managed to brake enough with the left and back to avoid skidding along the ground too much. Similar accidents though! :0.0:

40 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

@ZooNamedGames Here is my Arm 

I'd consider it done, has a rotator under each hinge, giving it the most range of motion. Has 2 full size I-beams, 1 as base, 1 as mid, then 2 pocket edition ones, 1 for far, and 1 for tip, with an electromagnet on the end from KAS. Has a decoupler under the base rotator so I can decouple the arm for re-entry since it throws off the aerodynamics by quite a bit. May have to move those two solar panels as they cut it quite close.

And the not being able to remove the struts issue was me being dumb. I was pressing H instead of X (X is remove key, H is attach) So I don't need a fancy solution for holding it in place on ascent. The arm isn't too wobbly if you are patient with it.

The arm overall is probably 20% longer than a CRG-100 bay

Then that'll strike it from use due to multiple issues :/

10 minutes ago, LazySoUseHyperedit said:

@Combatsmithen your shuttle crash was similar to how I crashed the front part of the Splitz, except I fell less than 20 meters to the ground and I managed to regain some control before crash landing. Since I hit the ground hard with only with the right front landing gear, I managed to brake enough with the left and back to avoid skidding along the ground too much. Similar accidents though! :0.0:

RIP The crew of SS-2. You will forever be remembered.

Edited by Combatsmithen

Yeah IDK why by my shuttle looses tons and tons of speed once it drops below mach speeds. If I want to maintain a level pitch to glide down I can't because so much speed is lost. Don't understand it. There is no way the shuttle creates that much drag. I'm thinking of fitting a juno engine in there somewhere so I can have some amount of propulsion

The way I've landing it previously is by keeping a ~-5 degree pitch down, then pulling up and leveling out seconds before touchdown. Also I have a copious amount of reaction wheels since this thing likes to flip out alot on re-entry If I pitch too much one way or the other, so I can't even do mild S-turns

Another thing I'm thinking about is possibly starting my own lightly modded KSS challenge/thing. So then we can put stuff on stations with more of a "purpose" as well as life support so resupply and service missions would be important.

2 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

Yeah IDK why by my shuttle looses tons and tons of speed once it drops below mach speeds. If I want to maintain a level pitch to glide down I can't because so much speed is lost. Don't understand it. There is no way the shuttle creates that much drag. I'm thinking of fitting a juno engine in there somewhere so I can have some amount of propulsion

I've noticed that drag below 8000m slows my space shuttles considerably. 

3 minutes ago, Combatsmithen said:

maybe got it overly realistic. A lot of the early flights of the space shuttle in real life had it fall towards the runway at extreme speeds and at 1000-2000ft enter a gliding arch just before the runway.

My Saturn Shuttle is stable... best suggestion is larger control surfaces.

3 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

I've noticed that drag below 8000m slows my space shuttles considerably. 

Atmosphere thickens. Plan for it.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

maybe got it overly realistic. A lot of the early flights of the space shuttle in real life had it fall towards the runway at extreme speeds and at 1000-2000ft enter a gliding arch just before the runway.

My Saturn Shuttle is stable... best suggestion is larger control surfaces.

I don't really need more control surfaces I don't think. I think I just need to learn how to fly the damn thing more lol

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Lack of response tends to lead to that being the solution.

There is no lack of response, I could probably do away with some of the reaction wheels actually, they were mostly for takeoff but now I got my stability figured out

37 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Yep. I do.

in terms of stability, I usually shift fuel around, and build the shuttle so it will be stable and maneuverable without fuel. 

7 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Yep. I do.

in terms of stability, I usually shift fuel around, and build the shuttle so it will be stable and maneuverable without fuel. 

mines always in the rear so the issue is rare :/ . Engines are heaviest anyway so their constant.

I have all my fuel in the rear and on paper this thing should be stable. COM is far in front of COL when the shuttle is detached from boosters and ET. 

On another note, during ascent I transfer fuel to the front tanks to help stability

8 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Firstly you stage it and waste it and also can't fit it in the half Bay :/

Oh lol. Yeah I have to get rid of it because it causes aerodynamic instabilities when I'm re-entering.  Also a robotic Arm that can fit in a half bay is kinda useless unless it folds over itself, which causes it to take more payload space in the bay and overall may cause it to have more joints

Vcu6OeC.png

My Shuttle Carrying aircraft! The shuttle has the robotic arm detached to simulate what gliding in will actually be like.

Also I have distant object enhancement installed. So when I'm sitting on the runway and timewarping at night you can see all the stations and stuff orbiting around zipping thru the sky its really cool :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.