Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

On 2017-03-12 at 8:37 AM, munlander1 said:

I hate texting and driving. Got in an accident on the way home with my sister. We got in front of him though and a few feet down the traffic stopped relatively quickly. My sister stops and then the car was jolted forward. My sister looked back and saw him look up. Her finder got messed up and the frame got damaged because of the hit.

Feel your pain here. Lost 3 vehicles in 4 years due to distracted drivers.

Speaking of crap-tastic drivers, I let loose on a guy that PARKED 10 centimetres from my van's drivers side.:angry:

Went back into my insurance companies office (renewing memberships and such) and called out "Who owns a silver volkswagen jetta TDI?" A guy calls out "Me!"

His mistake. :radial:

Said in a very loud voice in front of 30 other customers "You, sir, park like a JERK! I would love to be able to go home right now but I can't because you parked three inches from my van and now I have to crawl in thru the passenger side! THANKS!!"

At least he had the decency of blushing and mumbling "Sorry". GRRRRRR :angry: 

Edited by GDJ

Finally got my first telescope a month ago. We had had plenty of clear weather in the winter. Since then, like FOUR clear nights - three of which I've been tied up at work or just plain too tired to do anything at all! :mad:

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, munlander1 said:

I hate texting and driving. Got in an accident on the way home with my sister. We got in front of him though and a few feet down the traffic stopped relatively quickly. My sister stops and then the car was jolted forward. My sister looked back and saw him look up. Her finder got messed up and the frame got damaged because of the hit.

Having a higher viewpoint on my bikes I still see large amounts of drivers faffing about with phones despite the recent stiffening of the penalties. In a bid to keep their stupidity covert they like to keep the phone way down out of sight thus removing their attention even further from the road.... If it weren't for the collateral damage these morons cause I would be willing natural selection to remove them from the gene pool soonest.

Mind you the worst excuse for lack of attention I have personally heard was the numpty who pulled out from a side road in front of me (fairly busy 30mph road). Slammed on the anchors and stopped a foot from his window. He winds the window down and casually says "sorry mate was talking to the wife". Was too busy hyperventilating to reply or put my fist through his chronically understaffed  cranium. Followed by inserting my Schubert somewhere that would have got his full attention. 

Schubert is a crash helmet brand not obscure English slang BTW.

Edited by dangerhamster

1 hour ago, dangerhamster said:

Having a higher viewpoint on my bikes I still see large amounts of drivers faffing about with phones despite the recent stiffening of the penalties. In a bid to keep their stupidity covert they like to keep the phone way down out of sight thus removing their attention even further from the road.... If it weren't for the collateral damage these morons cause I would be willing natural selection to remove them from the gene pool soonest.

Mind you the worst excuse for lack of attention I have personally heard was the numpty who pulled out from a side road in front of me (fairly busy 30mph road). Slammed on the anchors and stopped a foot from his window. He winds the window down and casually says "sorry mate was talking to the wife". Was too busy hyperventilating to reply or put my fist through his chronically understaffed  cranium. Followed by inserting my Schubert somewhere that would have got his full attention. 

Schubert is a crash helmet brand not obscure English slang BTW.

To be fair to the man, my other half has a habit of "backseat driving" so bad that it sometimes impinges on my ability to drive safely, at least a couple of times I have had to pull over.

Shouting "STOP!!!" in my ear whilst I am trying to avoid what she just saw does not a safe trip make. Or "LOOKOUT!!" for no apparent reason. Swapping between "You are going too fast!" and "You are driving like an old woman, speed up!" is a popular one too. Or trying to tell me when it is safe to overtake from the passenger seat Darn it....

Once I even was told that I should drive closer to the huge truck in front of me so I could get past it faster, only for one of its rear tyres to spectacularly explode, sending pieces of shrapnel spinning everywhere. If I was closer, my windscreen (at least) would have been gone, with predictable results.

But yeah, it would still be my fault if I pulled out like that. That is why you dont backseat drive, because the responsibility is always the driver's. Well that and you are gonna cause an accident.

Now we have a rule that if we are both in a car, ANY talk about my driving is banned. 

Does anyone know if it is an actual offence (in the UK) to distract the driver?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this one's a bit of a doozy.

Bought an XBOX1 pad to replace my 360 pad which is quite literally starting to fall apart.  Now this being a MS thing, you'd think it'd be plug & play in Windows, right?

Nope.

So off I go and do some RTFM on the microsoft site, find some drivers and install them... driver not supported.

It's taken *a week* of googling and faffing around, during which, though it's not explicitly stated, I get the distinct impression that the XB1 pad is only supported on Win8.1 and above.  Finally I hit on a steam thread which directs me to the Windows Update Catalogue Page.  I search for XBOX1 pad, find nothing.  Search for XBOX Pad, up pops about 20 drivers for Win 7.  Download the latest one, extract the .cab (another hurdle for the unaware) point windows in the right direction and the damn thing finally rumbles into life.

I get that MS would like to politely suggest I update to the new OS but this seriously takes the cake.  I'd actually be less annoyed by this whole rigmarole if it'd turned out that there just wasn't a driver for 7.

(I'll also point out that I got the same device working in linux in about 10 minutes.)

What I really hate is that we need sleep. I'd like to be efficient (or not) and do stuff all night, but we as a species need to sleep, taking time away from what seems to be a short day.

On 24/03/2017 at 5:07 PM, p1t1o said:

Does anyone know if it is an actual offence (in the UK) to distract the driver?

never add an accident even while driving at high speed, even while driving while sleeping (yep been forced too because work you know...), but well as a passenger i had a few accident ...

dunno if it answer your question ... but well it's been a while i not drived  anithing ^^

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

What I really hate is that we need sleep. I'd like to be efficient (or not) and do stuff all night, but we as a species need to sleep, taking time away from what seems to be a short day.

Its not just our species, its pretty much every complex animal! And even after millions of years of extreme evolutionary pressure we all still need it! Any creature which could discard sleep would have a huge advantage!

1 minute ago, p1t1o said:

Its not just our species, its pretty much every complex animal! And even after millions of years of extreme evolutionary pressure we all still need it! Any creature which could discard sleep would have a huge advantage!

Yeah. Why don't we get rid of it. Students would rejoice!

7 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Even worse than that is the fact that we want sleep. After a long day, there's nothing better than a nap. But why? The need to eat and excrete are simple thermodynamics, but the need to rest is not. It's irritating!

Two things spring to mind -

1. Recovery from physical exhaustion, but also sleep tends to be when most healing seems to occur in the body.
  2. Mental stock-taking.  No-one seems to know exactly why, but our brains need sleep more than the body itself.  I can personally attest to the power of long periods of sleep-deprevation for bringing out the proper carnival-music kind of crazy once you pass beyond the 72-hours awake point.

The real mystery to me is why we need so little sleep comparatively to get back on track, most I've ever really needed was a good 12-hour stint and I'm like it never happened.

On March 24, 2017 at 5:59 AM, monophonic said:

Finally got my first telescope a month ago. We had had plenty of clear weather in the winter. Since then, like FOUR clear nights - three of which I've been tied up at work or just plain too tired to do anything at all! :mad:

Did not go out once last month. I feel your pain.

The recent news about United Airlines has reminded me about my awful UAL experience (I complained bitterly to a UAL VP, and he sent me 4 travel vouchers good enough for entire flights. I threw them away, and emailed him that I didn't hate anyone enough to even give them away). That's not my complaint, though.

It reminded me of this song, which came out after my experience, but the events described happened very close in time to my experience. The song is now an ear worm for me in the last couple days, which is my complaint (it's quite catchy, actually).

Edited by tater

• my social life has now deteriorated to such a low level that this is a basic conversation:

"Hey! you know what spa-"

"SHUT THE (EXPLICITIVE) UP YOU LITTLE (EXPLICITIVE) NOBODY LIKES YOU LITTLE (EXPLICITIVE) (EXPLICITIVE)

• Apparently, some random person's opinions on a song nobody will ever hear on a social media platform nobody will ever use is more important than my artfully crafted drawing of the Falcon 9!
  • my schools social platform:

"do you like science?"                             "Do you like science?"

"Yes"                                                       "no"

"we hate you"                                          "we don't hate you"

Edited by StupidAndy

• 2 weeks later...

Am tinkering with C++. All new for me, once (sic !) learned C and so-called 4th generation languages. That was a generation ago.

Got an error that a function (std::put_time) that should be in the standard library could not be found. Now, whom does a greenhorn blame ? Himself ... is it overloaded, a type conversion in between (you won't guess hoe many types are involved), what did i do wrong ?

After an hour i found out: nothing. My compiler (gcc 4.9) does not support put_time yet !

Might it be that C++ grew somewhat ... organic, like ivy ?

Edited by Green Baron

PETA is not an animal rights group, its a bunch of hippocrites. I mean, they call out Obama for swatting a fly yet, i cant imagine that a human can live an entire life without killen at least ONE little bug, almost everyone has crushed a bug before when they were little, and you also step on insects and buggers without even noticing, every day. They even are 'against animal cruelty' while they killed a doggo that was perfectly healthy from a random person, without the person even asking for it. They also said just recently that milk has something to do with racism. Its odd. Really odd.