Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

I have been waiting for months for a letter with a hospital appointment.

This morning I got a letter saying i missed my appointment.....  but I never receieved a letter saying I had an appointment!

Why cant NHS email me?

Edited by Kokoro

So I don't want to drag politics into the forum, but if you were to search for recent news articles about Stephen Fry you might understand why (in the most sarcastic sense imaginable) I am so incredibly proud of my country and its lawmakers.

Edited by pxi

Totally OT, but when i googled Fry (whom i did not know before but who seems to be reasonable man to me now) i immediately thought. "Oh, Mycroft Holmes !"

This is a funny effect of the media age. When i saw the Lord of the Rings first, the scene where Frodo wakes up in Rivendale my thought was "Welcome to Rivendale, Mr. Anderson !".

Sorry, random thought :-)

History class is bassicly victory propaganda, no truthfull, and interesting stories either. I used to like it but now i dont, i just recently found out some of the stories told are not real at all.

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Totally OT, but when i googled Fry (whom i did not know before but who seems to be reasonable man to me now) i immediately thought. "Oh, Mycroft Holmes !"

This is a funny effect of the media age. When i saw the Lord of the Rings first, the scene where Frodo wakes up in Rivendale my thought was "Welcome to Rivendale, Mr. Anderson !".

Sorry, random thought :-)

I get this real bad with anything that has J.K.Simmons in it, I always see him as Vernon Schillinger from "Oz". Basically the patriarch of a prison-based white-supremacist/aryan gang, its funny seeing him in sitcoms or as the editor of the daily bugle...

Edited by p1t1o

so tell me more about being born with a vr helmet on the head with 184 4781 474 frame per second and infrasound spam ... well how to say 

5 hours ago, pxi said:

So I don't want to drag politics into the forum, but if ...

hum ... 

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

I had a long and thoughtful reply in the complain about your school thread and a forum glitch where I couldn't press enter to make a new line, and I tried refreshing to get it to work, but the reply didn't save

ten minutes down the drain

This happened today...

so I was typing to my friend when the email app, pressed in a bunch of e's...

I was spending the next 10 min holding Delete...

'Some say he's still at his computer, to this very day, holding the delete button...'

-Local News

Edited by Shadow Wolf56

One word

Edgenuity

It is currently 1:45AM PDT and I have been sitting on the damn website for 6-7 hours.

I'm probably going to fall asleep at my keyboard with Running in the 90s playing.

My wife just texted me that they needed a doctor on her flight, and she took care of some lady, and the patient's family member said to her, "You're a nurse?" She should have replied with language that would be redacted here (like, "I'm a ^$%$#@%$#@! surgeon, you #@!#@$!", and told them to take care of themselves. 

Edited by tater

On 5/8/2017 at 5:14 AM, NSEP said:

-snip- i just recently found out some of the stories told are not real at all.

Ooh. Would you like to give us an example?

History. The only real way to study history is to read books written by individuals alive at the time it happened. You'd be surprised at what and how much there is to read out there.

Complaints. My only complaint at this point is life and aging. I'm getting old and I'm not liking it. I'm watching as all those around me drop and die off... like these past two weeks, 3 old friends - gone.

2 hours ago, LordFerret said:

History. The only real way to study history is to read books written by individuals alive at the time it happened. You'd be surprised at what and how much there is to read out there.

Even that isn't necessarily accurate. Pretty famously, what we know about the Persian invasion of Greece mostly comes from Greek people at the time. So there's an inherent bias.

A post or two have been removed from this thread. This one's meant to be a light place to gripe about annoyances, so please don't get into subjects such as war atrocities and what is and isn't propaganda. 

59 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

End of the year, I hate it! It just a makes me so sentimental! I hate it!

Don't. It is simply an ending to another chapter. But the good thing, it is also the beginning of a new one. And unlike the older chapter that you're ending, this one is not yet written. It is an empty canvas waiting for you to color it with all the excitement, sorrow, successes, and failures of the next stage of your life.

On 5/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, LordFerret said:

Complaints. My only complaint at this point is life and aging. I'm getting old and I'm not liking it. I'm watching as all those around me drop and die off... like these past two weeks, 3 old friends - gone.

This is true, to a point. Each author has their own point of view and to make any broad paintbrush strokes based off one or two eye witness accounts is extremely dangerous. As a professional historian, I can tell you that on the micro level, this kind of history is enlightening and brings to life the human element of history we often forget about. But on the macro level, there are details, things happening in the background, and other mitigating factors the author may not know anything about, yet is having to face the challenges these things present although completely unaware of them. A case in point in the American Civil War are the prisoner of war camps of Andersonville (C.S.A.) and Rock Island (U.S.A.). I have a collection (of 157 diaries) of prisoners from both camps. Prisoners from both sides were convinced their side would be more compassionate of prisoners of war than the way they were being treated...

On 5/13/2017 at 3:58 PM, Bill Phil said:

Even that isn't necessarily accurate. Pretty famously, what we know about the Persian invasion of Greece mostly comes from Greek people at the time. So there's an inherent bias.

Yes, this is correct. However, we cannot discredit completely those accounts. We all have our biases and prejudices. Anyone that claims to be completely unbiased or not prejudiced is a fool and do not know who they are themselves. We've so distorted what bias and prejudices are that we forget they have existed in human history since the first civilizations (either 6,000 years ago if you believe the Bible account of Genesis or 8,500 years ago if you believe in evolution). Were the Greeks biased - yes. Were the Visigoths biased? Again, yes. What becomes interesting is when you can study such prejudices and biases objectively and come to conclusions about them. And that's when real learning begins - when you force yourself out of the comfort zone and into a new way of thinking.

I'll be honest - I evaluate where I am politically and socially all the time. As an historian (Ph.D.), my foci (plural of focus) is on the early history of the United States, from about 1400 to 1900, from 1900 to the present, and American foreign policy. My specific field where I spend most of my time researching is the Early History of the Republic, which includes foreign policy. The more I study that era, the more it shapes my understanding of our nation's present and the future...

Just my two cents.

Just now, tater said:

@adsii1970, any recommended works on the early Republic? I've read Empire of Liberty (which I liked), and some books about Adams, Jefferson, etc, as well as the Federalist Papers.

Send me a private message as a reminder. I will put you together a reading list- including ISBN numbers to make it easier to find. I'll include stuff from 1763 through 1800. Also, what version of the Federalist Papers did you read? The complete collection or just a primer (selection of the most important ones, like the Penguin Classics collection)?