Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

????? perhaps I was misunderstood ?????

8 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

... to make any broad paintbrush strokes based off one or two eye witness accounts is extremely dangerous. ...

" read books written by individuals alive at the time "
" be surprised at what and how much there is to read out there "

okay, so every time I open a new tab on bing, it shows me a few stories from news stuff

I see thing that are semi-important, to things that are outright lies, then every few MONTHS I see a small thing for a space thing

I struggle to comprehend why something like "see who wore what to the Oscars" can be remotely comparable to extraordinary achievements to better the human race

humans are stupid.

20 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

I struggle to comprehend why something like "see who wore what to the Oscars" can be remotely comparable to extraordinary achievements to better the human race

I could not agree with this one more! It's one of my biggest problems with the media. :mad:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, StupidAndy said:

okay, so every time I open a new tab on bing, it shows me a few stories from news stuff

I see thing that are semi-important, to things that are outright lies, then every few MONTHS I see a small thing for a space thing

humans are stupid.

noteveryonehasthesameinterests.bmp

noteveryoneisasmartasyouare.mp3

30 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

its not directly about interests

BUT WHY THE HECK DOES WHAT PEOPLE WEAR MATTER!!!

Why wouldn't it?

What do you want people to talk about?

Whether leptons are compound particles or not, or if the contradictions between quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world determine free will?

No. Not happening.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Why wouldn't it?

What do you want people to talk about?

Whether leptons are compound particles or not, or if the contradictions between quantum mechanics and the macroscopic world determine free will?

No. Not happening.

because clothes don't matter, shoes don't matter

what someone wears doesn't affect what's inside your head, what really matters

sadly my school will learn this too late for me

On 2/21/2017 at 5:20 PM, munlander1 said:

That class I was talking about in my post, you have described them pretty well. They:

Waste time

play on their phones when teacher is talking

talk when the teacher is talking

i would not say cuss, but use vocabulary that is frowned upon when talking to the teacher

and ignore the teacher.

Because of them, next year I gonna fail. In 6th grade I had the most chill English teacher ever. In 7th grade I was baffled. It was because I did not learn anything though. Last semester  I feel like I did a good job in the finals for the class though.

Most people go to school not because they're there to be "enlightened" or "be fascinated about the universe", they're there because some day they're going to need a job or because they're being forced to go there by their parents.

Also, damn, if you're going to fail a year because of these specific reasons, I think you're blaming the wrong ones

7 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

the way you dress is directly related to the way you express yourself/your style

(what's inside your head)

17 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

People make mistakes. Nobody is obligated to instantly recognize a stranger's occupation with 100% accuracy.

The crew asked out loud to the entire cabin for a doctor.

Had a male NURSE gone to the galley, they would have said, "hello, doctor."

This has nothing to do with recognizing a profession, it was assuming a woman (surgeon, for $@!$# sake) was just a nurse.

Just now, tater said:

The crew asked out loud to the entire cabin for a doctor.

Had a male NURSE gone to the galley, they would have said, "hello, doctor."

This has nothing to do with recognizing a profession, it was assuming a woman (surgeon, for $@!$# sake) was just a nurse.

I stand corrected.

@Aperture Science: @StupidAndy, @munlander1, myself, and others have a tough time at school. We are ignored, and we feel like we don't belong. This forum is one of the places where we can be ourselves and not worry about what other kids are going to say about us. Threads such as this and the "Complain About Your School" thread were specificly made for this type of venting. We didn't come here to argue with another person about whatever trends are going around, and why we shouldn't be annoyed by them. We came here to be annoyed and to unwind from a stressful day at school...

8 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Also, damn, if you're going to fail a year because of these specific reasons, I think you're blaming the wrong ones

I don't feel like I have learned a lot. Last time this happened, I was simply baffled the next year. 

9 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

its not directly about interests

Let's go back about a 100k years. Turns out we're ice age creatures. This warm period happens to be a very long one, and the next glaciation isn't expected for thousands, tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of years. But, us being ice age creatures, what we wear is important for environmental protection. Over a very long time this morphed into fashion... But what we wear is important. On a cold day we should wear a jacket, for example. 

Even so, I can perfectly understand the feeling. I try to be practical in what I wear on a day to day basis.

Edited by Bill Phil

[Just for clarification, each post has been modified by me for the content I wish to comment on]

On 5/23/2017 at 8:51 PM, StupidAndy said:

As someone who has been in the education field for 16 years total (14 teaching at the university level and 2 teaching at the middle school/junior high level), I will offer you my observations -

Whether you like it or not, people judge you by three criteria - how well you write, how well you speak, and your appearance. And it isn't going to change anytime soon and has been the basis for judgment for about 2,000 years when it comes to who we ultimately trust. People who dress alike and speak alike normally have friends that are on the same level as they are. And yes, they even construct the written language roughly the same. We hang out with others who are most like ourselves. This has been going on since the dawn of human civilization.

Yes, you have the right to dress the way you want but you do not have the right to tell someone how they must receive you. On the university campus, I wear blue jeans and a polo shirt or a nice short sleeve button-up shirt. In my university teaching experience, I have learned that students are more likely to approach me if I am dressed in a way that is comforting. On average, I have three to five students hang out in my office during my office hours. But I didn't always think like this. I bought into the whole tie, slacks and dress shirt bit for the first five years. Students, on an unconscious level, assume that a professor that dresses like that doesn't have the time or interest in their students. So, from that perspective, how I dress does matter.

And then there's the student dress behaviors. I despise students coming to a 2:30 class still in their freaking pajama pants. It's unprofessional, it's shameless - especially if the message through iconography is suggestive. I also have a problem when students do not wear enough clothes to class - This past semester I had a young lady who refused to wear a bra. Fine, her right. But when she wore one of those tank tops (muscle shirts) and her upper female anatomy was mostly exposed, I did have an issue with it. Not because it was distracting, but because the college classroom is not an appropriate venue for that kind of dressing style. Same goes for men - no one in the classroom who is serious about learning cares to see your hairy armpits and [forum filters may pick up the word]...

Students need to dress for success. The amount of effort you put in your appearance tells others about the rest of your life. I am not saying you have to wear a suit and tie to school, but dress in whatever you have that 1) makes you feel good, 2) is not what you play sports in, and 3) you'd wear to your grandparents' house for dinner and you'll be fine. From a professor's point of view, as long as your attire isn't a distraction or unsafe, you're ok.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, StupidAndy said:

Then you're not being you enough. Good students are known for many reasons. How you dress merely opens the door. If you want to be perceived as a student that cares, then you've got to demonstrate you care. You have to demonstrate your seriousness to learn. You must demonstrate your willingness to work. Now do you mean your school - as in teachers or as in fellow students? When I was in high school, I really didn't care what my peers thought of me (which was why I was called a nerd and geek). I was more worried about what my teachers felt of me.

If you're worried about your peers, you're worried about the wrong things. I cannot tell you how many students I have seen throw away their future because they just wanted to fit in with their peers. Your peers will screw you over so they can look good in the eyes of - your peers!

On 5/23/2017 at 10:20 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

@Aperture Science: @StupidAndy, @munlander1, myself, and others have a tough time at school. We are ignored, and we feel like we don't belong. This forum is one of the places where we can be ourselves and not worry about what other kids are going to say about us. Threads such as this and the "Complain About Your School" thread were specificly made for this type of venting. We didn't come here to argue with another person about whatever trends are going around, and why we shouldn't be annoyed by them. We came here to be annoyed and to unwind from a stressful day at school...

That's the necessity of life. You're not the first generation who goes through this and you certainly won't be the last. I am sure that you could find many of us older folk on this forum went through that as well. On any forum, no thread is a "private thread" and is open for anyone to add to the discussion. That's what makes forums so great in my opinion. From what it sounds, you want this forum thread to be a "safe space" and are acting hurt with others do not agree with you. But this is a public forum and unless I have missed something, anyone is free to comment.

Most of the time when we feel as if we do not belong, we have isolated ourselves from those we deem as being "the others." You've got to see your own self for who you actually are and not what you think you are and how others see you. If you try to live for others, you will feel isolated, lonely, and that you feel as if you have noting to offer the group. When we feel this way about ourselves, others catch on. And from that moment, we are either consumed by their rejection of us (and remember, we've already rejected ourselves) or we are consumed by their criticisms.

I came from an very abusive home. And because I felt I had little value to my family, I just believed I had no self value at all. I felt like an outsider for all of high school. In fact, it wasn't until I was 36 years old that I had a revelation. Here it is, I had already served in the Army for almost 8 years, I had a B.A., M.Ed, M.A., and in graduate school working on my Ph.D. and two failed marriages. But I still felt I didn't belong nor did I have any sense of self-value. What made the difference is one day I was walking on the campus and had a younger student ask if she could walk with me. She told me that of all the people on campus, she felt that she could talk to me because I didn't judge her because she had to use crutches at the age of 24 (she had spina bifida). It was that conversation with her that really began to cause me to see myself differently... I said all that to say this - before you can expect anyone to accept you, you must learn to accept yourself.

Edited by adsii1970

11 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I could not agree with this one more! It's one of my biggest problems with the media. :mad:

9 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

the way you dress is directly related to the way you express yourself/your style

When I agreed, this isn't what I meant. What I was referring to is how some of the so-called "news networks" can spend maybe 4-5 minutes talking about what's actually important going on around the world, and then spend 20 minutes talking about who wore what at the Oscars... and then another 10 minutes on the actual Oscars... who cares???  I turn to the news to get news, not celebrity gossip... there are plenty of other channels and websites devoted to that already. 

This is what I get really upset with.

Edited by Just Jim

27 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

When I agreed, this isn't what I meant. What I was referring to is how some of the so-called "news networks" can spend maybe 4-5 minutes talking about what's actually important going on around the world, and then spend 20 minutes talking about who wore what at the Oscars... and then another 10 minutes on the actual Oscars... who cares???  I turn to the news to get news, not celebrity gossip... there are plenty of other channels and websites devoted to that already. 

I can get even more to the point on this: It was because of this kind of being sprinkled with dumb banalities all day long that made me quit watching tv or listening to radio (does that still extist :-) ?) years ago. By far the most broadcast programs are insults on the intelligence and reasoning powers of educated people.

I certainly don't need this ... a nice game forum is better :-)

@adsii1970 you are absolutely right. The way you dress matters, how you act matters, and this is most definitely  not a safe space. I was trying to ask @Aperture Science to, even if he doesn't agree with the things we get annoyed about, let us kind of vent. We aren't asking for a safe space, all we want is somewhere where we can be ourselves, and I feel like him posting this thread in the "dumb stuff found on the internet" thread isn't helping...

1 hour ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

@adsii1970 you are absolutely right. The way you dress matters, how you act matters, and this is most definitely  not a safe space. I was trying to ask @Aperture Science to, even if he doesn't agree with the things we get annoyed about, let us kind of vent. We aren't asking for a safe space, all we want is somewhere where we can be ourselves, and I feel like him posting this thread in the "dumb stuff found on the internet" thread isn't helping...

But here's the thing... it is his opinion, and whether we like it or not, he is entitled to share it. Just as you are entitled to rant. Why not have some fun and post his post about dumb stuff on the internet on that thread... Learn to take adversity and make it into a joke.

On 08/05/2017 at 5:20 AM, Green Baron said:

This is a funny effect of the media age. When i saw the Lord of the Rings first, the scene where Frodo wakes up in Rivendale my thought was "Welcome to Rivendale, Mr. Anderson !".

I get exactly what you mean. I guess then you haven't ever watched Priscilla, then? :D

As for complaining, my vacation from work is almost over, yet one of the crucial electronics I've ordered for my cockpit 4 months ago still hasn't arrived, and my project advanced nothing I planned for this free month :mad:

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Media = appeal to most people = gets more ad revenue

Most people aren't interested in getting a 20 minute long discussion on scientific topics, they want something they can relate to: Oscars and social stuff is the one that appeals to most.

You want political news? Go to a news site dedicated to that. Want science news? Go to a site dedicated to that. News that aren't dedicated to a single topic will try to appeal to the masses.

8 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Media = appeal to most people = gets more ad revenue

Most people aren't interested in getting a 20 minute long discussion on scientific topics, they want something they can relate to: Oscars and social stuff is the one that appeals to most.

8 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

News that aren't dedicated to a single topic will try to appeal to the masses.

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

You want Oscars news? Go to a site dedicated to that.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I agree with you. But luckily, in The Netherlands, we have news dedicated to science, economics, and politics seperated from celebrity, fashion, and crime news. So i cant relate.