Thread to complain bout stuff

Spacetraindriver

15 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I agree with you. But luckily, in The Netherlands, we have news dedicated to science, economics, and politics seperated from celebrity, fashion, and crime news. So i cant relate.

This is something I would love to see.  In the US, news has merged into infotainment, and even the so called "news" channels tend to be quite heavy on the opinion side of things.

28 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Media = appeal to most people = gets more ad revenue

Most people aren't interested in getting a 20 minute long discussion on scientific topics, they want something they can relate to: Oscars and social stuff is the one that appeals to most.

You want political news? Go to a news site dedicated to that. Want science news? Go to a site dedicated to that. News that aren't dedicated to a single topic will try to appeal to the masses.

Why are we arguing over this?

This thread is stuff to complain about... I'm complaining about the media and news outlets coverage... and I've said my piece.

I respectfully agree to disagree and move on.  :)

1 minute ago, Just Jim said:

Why are we arguing over this?

This thread is stuff to complain about... I'm complaining about the media and news outlets coverage... and I've said my piece.

I respectfully agree to disagree and move on.  :)

K

9 minutes ago, NSEP said:

I agree with you. But luckily, in The Netherlands, we have news dedicated to science, economics, and politics seperated from celebrity, fashion, and crime news. So i cant relate.

Meanwhile in Sweden... https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vasterbotten/se-honom-satta-coola-flasktricket?

Spoiler

(bad) TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH:

Spoiler

The new trend "Water bottle flip" is spreading in Umeå. It's about doing cool tricks with half-full bottles - like in the video above
"Water bottle flip" is the new trend that has spread from YouTube to Swedish high schools. The goal is to throw a bottle and get it to land with the top or bottom down. Some harder variants could be flipping [the bottle] from roofs, railings or from behind your back.

Tips for beginners
Wilma Grönlund is one of the teenagers at Tegs fritidsgård who practices the Bottle Flip. She thinks that the hardest part is staying focused but she has a trick for all the beginners.
"Don't put too much water in the bottle," she explains firmly.

Winning gesture "dab"
If you succeed in pulling off a water bottle flip, don't forget the winning gesture called the "dab"; you lean your face into your elbow and stretch out your arms, kind of like when you are about to sneeze. Wilma Grönlund and her friend Ebba Spetz explain that it's very important.
"You can't forget to dab," they say while laughing.

*sigh*

2 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Meanwhile in Sweden... https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/vasterbotten/se-honom-satta-coola-flasktricket?

Hide contents

Hide contents

The new trend "Water bottle flip" is spreading in Umeå. It's about doing cool tricks with half-full bottles - like in the video above
"Water bottle flip" is the new trend that has spread from YouTube to Swedish high schools. The goal is to throw a bottle and get it to land with the top or bottom down. Some harder variants could be flipping [the bottle] from roofs, railings or from behind your back.

Tips for beginners
Wilma Grönlund is one of the teenagers at Tegs fritidsgård who practices the Bottle Flip. She thinks that the hardest part is staying focused but she has a trick for all the beginners.

Winning gesture "dab"
If you succeed in pulling off a water bottle flip, don't forget the winning gesture called the "dab"; you lean your face into your elbow and stretch out your arms, kind of like when you are about to sneeze. Wilma Grönlund and her friend Ebba Spetz explain that it's very important.

*sigh*

At least you don't get a damn 20 second commercial before you can watch a video on your newssite

7 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Tips for beginners

Winning gesture "dab"

*sigh*

Oh no... oh no. And people say westeners have no culture. *flips bottle and dabs*

9 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

At least you don't get a damn 20 second commercial before you can watch a video on your newssite

GET TRADING 212 ON YOUR DEVICE AND START WITH A FREE $10000 PRACTICE ACCOUNT...

22 hours ago, monstah said:

As for complaining, my vacation from work is almost over, yet one of the crucial electronics I've ordered for my cockpit 4 months ago still hasn't arrived, and my project advanced nothing I planned for this free month :mad:

Where might I find this project on the forum?

Ok, the Spring semester has been over since the 5th of May. I posted final grades three days later. Some moron student just emailed me asking if she were to do extra credit if I would consider changing her grade...

Um...

NO...

And in the immortal words of Willy Wonka...

Since the 'Rant about your school' thread is now closed, i'm now posting in this one. I got an afternoon detention just for looking at the News app on my computer. It's installed on every single computer, as per standard with Windows 8. I got an AFTERNOON DETENTION just for READING the NEWS. It's totally unfair, and should be cleared. But no...I have to go on Monday afternoon. Worst of all, I have to tell my parents. Look's like I'll have a very 'fun' weekend...:/;.;

Meta-rant: ... there is a time for the news and a time for paying attention to the one who dances in front.

Understanding this will make you win ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

On 5/25/2017 at 9:00 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Since the 'Rant about your school' thread is now closed, i'm now posting in this one. I got an afternoon detention just for looking at the News app on my computer. It's installed on every single computer, as per standard with Windows 8. I got an AFTERNOON DETENTION just for READING the NEWS. It's totally unfair, and should be cleared. But no...I have to go on Monday afternoon. Worst of all, I have to tell my parents. Look's like I'll have a very 'fun' weekend...:/;.;

How's it going for you?

On 5/26/2017 at 6:00 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Um... that's not good

Edited by TheEpicSquared

On 26/05/2017 at 6:00 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

These are the thing that make me want to flip the table. Just send a complaint, this is not good.

Anyways, whenever i search for videos about The Moon Landings on YouTube, or bassicly anything related to spaceflight, your recommended section gets FILLED with conspiracy theory junk. Its saddening that people got to infect your interest, the same thing with alot of other things too, some communities ruin your favourite things, there is no way to get out of it, hell, sometimes i declare war on conspiracy theorists, so im technically doing it too!

6 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

How's it going for you?

I told my parents, and I was expecting the worst. But then they simply laughed, and said "We all make mistakes, it's okay". I was expecting the utter worst, utter boredom, and everything, but no! We even got KFC last night! :D

One of my friends had to do the infamous "Egg Drop" challenge in Physics class. The only catch? He was graded on his ability to safely drop an egg from one meter using nothing but eight tooth picks.

Our education system at work!

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

One of my friends had to do the infamous "Egg Drop" challenge in Physics class. The only catch? He was graded on his ability to safely drop an egg from one meter using nothing but eight tooth picks.

XD

10 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Crush the toothpicks into a pulp, make paper out of it and use it as a parachute? 

20 hours ago, NSEP said:

Anyways, whenever i search for videos about The Moon Landings on YouTube, or bassicly anything related to spaceflight, your recommended section gets FILLED with conspiracy theory junk. Its saddening that people got to infect your interest, the same thing with alot of other things too, some communities ruin your favourite things, there is no way to get out of it, hell, sometimes i declare war on conspiracy theorists, so im technically doing it too!

Apart of some real trolls who are doing it intentionally the real conspiracy gurus and their followers are more and more numerous. But is this not, alas, what has always eaten up Humanity? From ancestral beliefs to the crazy "conspiracy" theories of the recent years they find their followers through the simplicity of which they are made. They are so simple, absolute and totally irrational that it is impossible to contradict them by the reflection and rationality. And of course it is so human to choose the path of Supremacist Easiness instead of the complexity and the efforts coming with.

Edited by XB-70A

On 5/27/2017 at 3:21 PM, NSEP said:

There are days when I wish the server farms of YouTube/Google had necks I could physically wring, just for this reason! Freakin' wacko nutters! :huh:
Too bad I can't do that, cause Google doesn't have people running things, and is clearly the real Skynet. :o
Stop sending me their conspiracy cancer, and let me bask in the space program's spacey goodness! :D

On 5/24/2017 at 10:19 AM, monstah said:

As for complaining, my vacation from work is almost over, yet one of the crucial electronics I've ordered for my cockpit 4 months ago still hasn't arrived, and my project advanced nothing I planned for this free month :mad:

Gotta love these Kerbal controller projects... Time, money, and always yet another twenty things to do yet... :rolleyes:

I'm still blown away by the +50% failure rate of the green LED displays I got off ebay for the DSKY in my Kerbal Instrument Panel! Still a little miffed, and that was 2015!!! Between modding meters, trying to arrange having the tape meter printed by a screen printing shop, still having another diode ROM to assemble for the last general purpose DSKY readout, still not having any of the metal panels cut for the meters, displays, toggles, joysticks, etc to mount into... And most of all... STILL understanding C programming as clearly as mud... Yeah, this project moves like rush hour traffic! Stop and go... I make a bunch of progress on some random day of the week, then find when I actually have that long three day weekend, I sleep halfway into the afternoon all three days, sleeping through several alarms on my phone... I'm telling' ya! My subconscious knows what days I don't work!

The thing that really got me this past week though... I spent the better part of a week looking up how to build a one transistor LED driver to go between the 74HC154 decoder chip (which has active low logic outputs) and the inputs of my diode ROMs, which power the cathode of the LED segment displays... I need to output a negative voltage to drive a negative voltage at a higher current, and most transistor amplifiers are inverting... negative in becomes positive out, and vice versa. I wanted to avoid doubling my part count with a 2 transistor amplifier, so I looked into MOSFETs instead of Bipolar Junction Transistors... Turns out there's plenty of small MOSFETS perfect for a non-inverting amplifier...

And I ordered the wrong one... D'oh!!! :mad:

Aaaaand... The DSKY is waiting on parts... agaaaain... :P

Edited by richfiles

2 minutes ago, richfiles said:

+50% failure rate of the green LED displays

Wow seriously? That bad? Nowadays, its hard to make 50% of modern components fail.

How will you be cutting the panels?

1 minute ago, qzgy said:

Wow seriously? That bad? Nowadays, its hard to make 50% of modern components fail.
How will you be cutting the panels?

Yeah... it was HORRENDOUS!!! More than half the modules developed defects. Those are all supposed to be solid "8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8."
As for the panels, my mill is too small. I'd like to see if I can get some mill time at my boss's machine shop. I'd screw the panel down to a chunk of wood, just to give it a secure backing surface to mount it by, and I'd mill out the openings... If I can't do that, it'll be me with a Dremel, a hack saw, and a file. :o

GreenLEDBad3.jpg

Here's the newly built one, with LED displays NOT sourced from shady Chinese ebay sellers... There last one was dim cause it was set to a different intensity.

K1xFh6E.jpg

Bit of a bump, but I REALLY need to get these off my chest.

Ok, where to start?

1. My Science teacher decided to give us our finals early...

2. The following day he gave me a paper listing my absences, remarking how much times I've been absent. Thing is I've never been. It was SOMEONE ELSE'S. He just HAD to give me TWO heart attacks in a row.

3. I'm not sure I said this yet...But I had to take 4 state required tests (not for a grade). TWO of them I had to retake because something happened  where they DIDN'T save. So I had to miss two classes (that didn't know I had to) but the staff there said they would clear my absences. Thing is, they didn't.

4. I kind of accidentally smashed my phone's screen to bits...Usually it survives that kind of punishment, but I guess it had to ruin my Friday.

5. War Thunder decided it didn't want me to play, giving me a error. The "support" page contains information for Windows which, according to users on the WT Forums DOESN'T EVEN WORK.

Everytime I work on "The Mistress" (1998 BMW 318i) I end up humming one of the songs from the movie "Christine".

Starting to freak out the neighbours. :wink:

My garage sometimes is like this.