My Speeder SSTO

Andetch

I am sharing this ship design and some data because.... Why not.

It is completely stock, and I have done many things with it/them. I have tried to keep them as small and simple as possible.

Two craft here, Speed 3k and Speed 3ka. Very hard to fly, probably going to get a lot of people saying how they a) can't take off without flipping and b) can make it so much better (I hope) :):)

Speed 3k is purely jet powered, and was my attempt at getting a good air fuelled speed attempt. Speed 3ka is with rocket capabilities (watch to disable the LF feed in the LF/OX tanks and turn it back on when you need it).

Attached pictures are of my final speed test on 3ka (2455 m/s). Sadly as pictured I went into a spin I couldn't recover after loosing the nose and thrust :( However, I have taken it to orbit and back. It is more than capable of landing as long as you try not to hit a mountain at mach 2.

FLIGHT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SPINS ARE LIKELY!!!

It is not advisable to have the nose any further than 7 degrees from prograde unless out of the atmosphere!!

I look forward to seeing what the KSP community thinks of my efforts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxP5XMEnEjPiWjE5blFPc2dELTQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxP5XMEnEjPiWjE5blFPc2dELTQ

http://imgur.com/a/t3yza

5E5ZFbx.jpg

Edited by Andetch
To add picture correctly

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, YAY! Someone showing interest in something I built on KSP!

Thank you for your comment. Did you download the ship file and have a go yourself?

In regards to stability issues I have played around with trying to fix the control issues, and by moving the side engines forward, repositioning the LF tanks, remounting the canards (and on the jet version firing the central engine later in flight) you can take off really easy and recover from spins easier etc. although this does result in a less pretty and pointy looking shape of the air (you know what I mean, when you're moving fast and can see the air moving across the vehicle) and a slightly lower top speed. File attached.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxP5XMEnEjPiV0JhSWpiQUNKN2c

57 minutes ago, Andetch said:

Firstly, YAY! Someone showing interest in something I built on KSP!

Thank you for your comment. Did you download the ship file and have a go yourself?

In regards to stability issues I have played around with trying to fix the control issues, and by moving the side engines forward, repositioning the LF tanks, remounting the canards (and on the jet version firing the central engine later in flight) you can take off really easy and recover from spins easier etc. although this does result in a less pretty and pointy looking shape of the air (you know what I mean, when you're moving fast and can see the air moving across the vehicle) and a slightly lower top speed. File attached.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxP5XMEnEjPiV0JhSWpiQUNKN2c

I admit, I have not tested it, I haven't opened KSP for for than two months. Just looking at the pics I could see it would be hard to control. I'm sure someone will be willing to test it for you mate! 

Well your observations are correct. $50 to the person who can successfully get into orbit (or even establish flight) first time! Hehe

And what a good reason to boot KSP up again then!

My reasoning to build it (I know no one asked, but.... meh) was that everything I seem to see on the forums is always so big, so I reasoned that something small with a ridiculous TWR (like a missile) should go fast, and pointed the right way should go into orbit. I just built a passenger version (attached) and had it in an orbit of sorts (not stable, but showing PP and AP) at around 30km high :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxP5XMEnEjPicE5sY0VFQnVRZGs

(The above ship will require you to move fuel around mid flight)

Edited by Andetch

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gave it my best shot this morning, came close but no Cigar! I to like the looks of this Craft and I know that often its something we don't like to see change when a craft is tweaked so I tried not to lose the Vector Engine but these are very heavy. I first noticed the rear fuel tank was locked, not sure why but I unlocked it. Then I tried to reduce the power and lock the gimbal on the Vector Engine but the weight was still a lot of the control problem. So I added some control and a Rapier Engine, this gave better control and better MPG. Maybe with better SSTO skills this craft might pull an Orbit but I gave up......but it's closer.

Operation
Full Throttle at takeoff then back down to half throttle near 70 m/s, nose up at the end of the runway, raise landing gear and lock on to about 15 degrees, she is stubborn and won't do this until you near about 400 m/s. I've set action groups, use 1 to toggle the  Whiplash Engines, 2 to toggle the Rapier and 3 for it's mode. Do not let Jeb mess with the controls until you reach 17,000m Jeb has itchy fingers and no patience sometimes. @ 17,000m ignite the Rapier, switch mode give full throttle while killing the Whiplash Engines, this step could be key at making an Orbit, I might be doing this too soon, further testing is needed. At this time start reducing your angle to 10 degrees at this point its your pilot skills to try and complete Orbit.

Sorry couldn't pull Orbit for you!

Craft File Tweaked: Speed 3ka

EJat84l.png

Spoiler

CgjYNQ0.png

7Yo3EVc.png

On 3/2/2017 at 4:25 PM, Majorjim! said:

If I had time I would have a look. Check back in a week, I'm working long hours at the moment. 

Anyone else care to do a guy a favour and help trouble shoot this interesting craft? 

I'll give it a try!

Edited by Castille7

Firstly, thank you for having a go in what I have now affectionately named The Widowmaker. Your input is most appreciated. I now have developed several version of this craft, including a passenger capable design, and one that doesn't flip quite so much - but that one is no fun.

The reason the LF was turned off in one tank was so that the Whiplash engines can not drain any LF from the tank on the way up, saving the LF for use on the Vector.

Takeoff. The wings produce enough lift at around 350 m/s. I tend to go full throttle, and as soon as you leave the end of the runway (travelling at around 300 m/s) pull the wheels up and gently lift the nose. Usually I end up around 20 metres from the sea before establishing a climb angle of around 10 degrees. I keep the SAS on and the nose just ever so slightly above prograde. at 20,000 - 25,000 metres high switch the navball to orbital mode, point prograde and fire the vector. Do not fire it on full throttle. Gently nurse the speed up to around 2,500 m/s, any higher and you will burn up, switch to map mode and put the AP at 75,000. Also watch the vehicle height as you will need to get her above 40,000 metres to stop loosing the AP from air resistance. It should be noted that the craft is capable of showing both an AP and PP of below 70,000 metres. As you cross the AP at above 70,000 metres you can fire the vector again (GENTLY!) to raise the PP. Orbit! Getting back is the hard part, as if you keep pointing prograde you go too fast into the lower atmosphere, but if you swing the nose around to slow down you can easily spin. The wheels don't do much for slowing down, but they do something....

Once again, thank you for taking the time to have a go in my ship, I hope you enjoyed the flight!

Nice SSTO! Looks really aesthetically pleasing. Just instead of a vector, why not try adding an aerospike? The only downside to the aerospike in my mind is the lack of gimbal which is accounted for by the wings. It is made for spaceplanes!

Fire

Firstly, thank you for your compliment :)

Thing with the aerospike is that I am impatient - I like the MAHOOSIVE thrust from the vector, although I will now give the aerospike a try. As far as control surfaces go, when you are up at 20km they make very little difference and wings create very little lift. I have actually made something I call a Wingless Wonder SSTO with virtually no wing. And by mounting the whiplashes further forward and repositioning the fuel tanks I solved the flipping issue, sort of.

Lemme try the aerospike now and get back to you!

So I tried with the aerospike, and remembered why it didn't work in the process.... It doesn't have enough power in the atmosphere, and I figured the choice between the LV series engine and the Vector was a no brainer.... hehe

This is the version with the adjusted whiplash positions

http://imgur.com/a/FPnJr

hkx2641.png

Edited by Andetch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.