problem with KSP ignoring binds

Hello, just bought what I thought would be a fun game, only to discover a rather IRRITATING problem concerning the keybinds, that even with 2 hours of troubleshooting and googling and whatnot, couldn't be solved...

I'm Using an AZERTY keyboard, game is globally mapped to a QWERTY keyboard, did all the changes in the options, pretty much used to the qwerty based country to ignore the rest of the world, and still (for what I could see of the game, that is, the 2 1st buubles from a certain "werner von kerman" or whatever) the "map" view (literally the 1st view you get where you see the various building, launch pads etc) only respond to WASD, which is HIGHLY unplayable and unacceptable from something sold in 2017...

I did double and triple check that absolutely NOTHING was bound to "W", anywhere in any menu...

even did a quadruple check, by looking thoroughly at the settings.cfg, and found no "W" key bound to any action, primary or secondary...

yet, the game requires me to contortionate my left hand simply to use the most basic feature of the game, on the very 1st tutorial there is in the game...

So, please, is there an option or a workaround (and no, NOT switching keyboard to "US mode" with alt+shift, I already know how to do it, but I need my keyboard to stay in its normal mode) or Am I doomed to ask for a refund ?

Any functional advice is welcome.

I've been playing the game for 5 years on AZERTY, you can survive. The game has been pretty much playable all these years, a few crashes went in the way, but overall I think keyboard layout is the least of my concerns.

Anyway, there is localisation planned for the next big update (which will come some day) which will solve all the alternative keyboards problems in the menu. So, the devs got you covered: they planned 2017 and solving the unplayability and unacceptability of QWERTY support only in the space centre menu.

As for now, I'm afraid you will have to endure the pain of contortionating your hand to reach the W key in the space center view. Which would be a problem if (a) the issue existed in any other place in the game, (b) you actually needed to navigate in the space centre view (which you don't unless you zoom in which, again, you don't need to).

EDIT: my apologies for forgetting to welcome you to the forums!

Edited by Gaarst

6 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Sorry for asking a highly pragmatic question but what's wrong with simply remapping the keys from the settings menu?

He did remap the keys, but for some reason the space centre view doesn't account for the remapping. You could bind your keys to GLMZ, it would still respond to WASD. It's the only menu in the game that has this problem though, not sure where it comes from.

Edited by Gaarst

Certainly the Space Center move keys aren't mapped in settings. Probably something overlooked since now (but then, there were a few more unmapped keys in the past, some a lot more annoying). One question: I have the arrow keys doing exactly the same as WASD in the space Center, believe those should work with an AZERTY keyboard just as well. Unless the OP is using a laptop without arrows as alternate key meanings.

Would like if this missing settings issue was already reported on the public bugtracker, but seems it never was. Let's see if can summon some magic to have it cared...

Well, good to know that much :)

A living community is always a good sign when it comes to problem solving, and from what you said the devs seem to react to the feedback from the community.

Concerning the key problem, it'll probably look quite peculiar since... I usually use the arrows when it comes to anything "fast paced" (include here anything where you control a character, would it be a "shooter" or whatever is similar enough) but I'll use ZQSD, or as most of the world tend to call it ,"WASD", whenever it's a more "sim-based/management" game, with tons of menus/actions of equal importance to the game. I guess it's due to the use I make of the resting space around the arrow keys, and unmistakable spacing and placement of the keys around, which allow for fast gameplay without anything like "oh crap did I just activate that trap and throw a grenade at my teammates instead of going forward while putting on a silencer ?" which usually happens when you're not so sure where your fingers were on the keyboard.

As for the missing settings issue, even if the setting screen wasn't updated to allow it, couldn't it be possible via the settings.cfg, as I guess such actions already have a command name like "EVA_left" "EVA_right" "Editor_pitchUp" and so on, probably just not listed in the setting and so, assuming defaut engine keys maybe ?

Would knowing the name (of those map movement functions) allow us to add those to the settings using the same syntax, and redefine them from the .cfg directly ? it would only be a matter of putting a sticky on the forum for everyone to know about these function and what to add to the cfg, while the devs can cram in more fixes/contents into the next patch without the need to hurry it for 4 missing key settings in the menu.

I hope I made sense.

@ZQSDsvp: got your reason about using a separate set of keys. Certainly a matter of personal preference, I never found the need to make something like that in KSP. 

About the missing settings, a number of bindings currently are not shown in the settings interface, but are changeable via manual editing the settings.cfg just like you proposed. However these ones are not exposed, not saved with settings. It would take making a few more lines in the stock KSP code to implement the read, write, assign by default functions for those keys just like done for all others (and remove the hardcoded bindings). Nothing complex, I did something similar with add-on code; however it remains with KSP devs to agree this is a worthwhile change and find that little time it takes to implement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.