Kopernicus: Elite Dangerous Space Stations

GhostboyDB

7 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

KSP is a very realistic game and this is going into sci-fi realm.

I hate to burst your bubble, but not everyone here uses the so called "realism" mods, and stock KSP is honestly more of a plausible alternate reliaty sci-fi then a realistic space sim.  Sure it follows real physics laws (simplified to make it feaseable), but many things in KSP do not have real life counterparts (ion engine at 2kN, fuel tank ratios, the ability to make space warships, ect).

Granted to each his own, but this is what i do with KSP, and i DOUBT that (unless the government is lying to us and has indeed began conquering the galaxies using starships) the following is realistic...

FO7ryYc.png

zhU2bXg.png

e5e2VST.png

WuNTQHQ.png

SO yeah, before you diss someone's unrealistic idea consider that not all of us actually care or desire KSP to be another copy of reality...

When I say realistic, I am talking physics. KSP has some pretty realistic physics. Not perfect, but it does not allow sci-fi type stuff. Anything you do is physically plausible unless you use cheats. But I guess however you want to play it then.

Fire

Sounds feasible to me. One would have to create a model and give it the parameters of a small moon, with the gravity of ... let's say Gilly. Could be a sphere with a diameter of just 1m.

However you wouldn't be able to dock with it directly so a craft (could be a separate model) with all the doors, docking ports, resource tanks, lights and command modules has to be bolted onto it afterwards using KAS. There are limitations to which part modules can be combined into a single craft though.

It's a lot of work.

@GhostboyDB @Azimech I had a slightly different idea for implementing this. My idea is that these be designed in one or two pieces in Kerbal Konstructs then attached on or around, as suggested, a very tiny kopernicus moon with the desired mass/gravity and SOI settings, tidally locked and in high orbit. But this assumes KK builds can be planted on other worlds.

If you can anchor yourself to a KK object with KAS that'd be great. Then you can anchor tanker vessels and get a pseudo USI logistics thing going, and if you want to reorient the station yourself you can HyperEdit the moon.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

But this assumes KK builds can be planted on other worlds.

Indeed they can and you can  use them just like a normal Kerbin bound launch site, not had a problem yet , the large ship in the bottom most pic weighs 23000 tonne and if anything will wake the Kraken it's teleporting something that size across the galaxy

Spoiler

Mun

0F66VNK.pngb9T8fsb.png

Laythe, I spend far too much time here.

6er66a4.pngW0htW4Z.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

On 2/18/2017 at 9:58 PM, Firemetal said:

When I say realistic, I am talking physics. KSP has some pretty realistic physics. Not perfect, but it does not allow sci-fi type stuff. Anything you do is physically plausible unless you use cheats. But I guess however you want to play it then.

Fire

It allows warp drive mods...and if I can make a 160 km space station with Kopernicus, a 2 km space station should be fine. You'd have to do some fancy math to get the heightmap into the geometric shape of an Elite station, but I see no reason why this would be impossible. Of course Kopernicus will not allow the interior of the station to be simulated. For that you would need to make it a giant part.

On 2/18/2017 at 10:58 PM, Firemetal said:

Fire

Kopernicus is a mod that allows you to make planets. it would have gravity because it is coded in as a planet with a certain gravity, and would therefore have said gravity

On 2/19/2017 at 7:53 AM, Azimech said:

Sounds feasible to me. One would have to create a model and give it the parameters of a small moon, with the gravity of ... let's say Gilly. Could be a sphere with a diameter of just 1m.

However you wouldn't be able to dock with it directly so a craft (could be a separate model) with all the doors, docking ports, resource tanks, lights and command modules has to be bolted onto it afterwards using KAS. There are limitations to which part modules can be combined into a single craft though.

It's a lot of work.

you could make what is essentially a crater, which would be the entrance. you use a tweakscaled claw on the bottom of the craft and land in the crater,and it is essentially docked to the planet.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:20 AM, Castille7 said:

"you could hyperedit yourself into orbit of the station" Are we talking Kerbal Universe here? I can go for that! :D I am thinking of Space Craft warping to other Solar Systems....hum!

eems reasonable considering i have only made it so far as the Mun in a legit game, the lander than crashed and jeb bill and bob were stuck on the mun. saying its real its just "warping" would make it alot more fair seeming to me. what i do is use Prasaka aerospace fr their futuristic space aircraft style parts, put on infinite ful so that its light, long range, and doesn't have fuel tanks, and basically turn the game into elite dangerous. only problem is: where do i dock?

23 hours ago, cubinator said:

It allows warp drive mods...and if I can make a 160 km space station with Kopernicus, a 2 km space station should be fine. You'd have to do some fancy math to get the heightmap into the geometric shape of an Elite station, but I see no reason why this would be impossible. Of course Kopernicus will not allow the interior of the station to be simulated. For that you would need to make it a giant part.

it doesn't necessarily have to be the same size, but just a geometric space station with interior space for several craft, and those built as ships would murder my laptop due to part count.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:31 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Indeed they can and you can  use them just like a normal Kerbin bound launch site, not had a problem yet , the large ship in the bottom most pic weighs 23000 tonne and if anything will wake the Kraken it's teleporting something that size across the galaxy

Hide contents

Mun

0F66VNK.pngb9T8fsb.png

Laythe, I spend far too much time here.

6er66a4.pngW0htW4Z.png

Is that Mun base in SM statics, because that would be awesome.

Edited by GhostboyDB

If I Figured Out how to mod, I would want to make Parts mods for Space fighters and haulers and space exploration ships, that would have powerful, light, Ion style engines that would use a really light fuel (there for making small, fast long range ships possible) and used such little fuel, that you could go at least interplanetary on a single tank. it would have the ion engine effects, as that's what fictional space fighters have. this would make huge , 2km space stations necessary as you would need to refuel eventually. also, if i had a better PC, I could make a series on that for my Youtube channel, as I can't run KSP at a solid framerate of at least 30fps, and i cant run OBS at the same time. My current Space Fighter program (infinte fuel VTOLs using rockets) isn't realistic. even worse than i thought. I tried to build a fighter, based on the the Eagle mkII from elite dangerous(which I don't have) and accidentally built something that reaches escape velocity before it leaves the atmosphere.

Edited by GhostboyDB

On 2/22/2017 at 4:58 PM, GhostboyDB said:

you could make what is essentially a crater, which would be the entrance. you use a tweakscaled claw on the bottom of the craft and land in the crater,and it is essentially docked to the planet.

You can claw an asteroid but you cannot claw a planet or moon, therefore my earlier suggestion of making a very tiny object for a planet and then use it as the core of the station developed as a Kerbal Konstruct.

13 hours ago, GhostboyDB said:

If I Figured Out how to mod, I would want to make Parts mods for Space fighters and haulers and space exploration ships, that would have powerful, light, Ion style engines that would use a really light fuel (there for making small, fast long range ships possible) and used such little fuel, that you could go at least interplanetary on a single tank.

You don't have to go very far to get what you want (for starters) by tweaking someone's existing engines and an ISRU or two to get a prototype of your propulsion ecosystem going. But when you start looking to make your own parts, your best friends will be Unity, PartTools, and Blender.

15 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

You can claw an asteroid but you cannot claw a planet or moon, therefore my earlier suggestion of making a very tiny object for a planet and then use it as the core of the station developed as a Kerbal Konstruct.

You don't have to go very far to get what you want (for starters) by tweaking someone's existing engines and an ISRU or two to get a prototype of your propulsion ecosystem going. But when you start looking to make your own parts, your best friends will be Unity, PartTools, and Blender.

Sounds good with the KK station. i don't know how to write code. i spent a few days last year making a shooter with Javascript, but I remember nothing. I feel as though I'd be good making models with unity and maybe blender, but I guess maybe with help, i could do this. If I want this done, its good to do it myself, I just don't know how to do most of it. 

Edited by GhostboyDB

There were Stanford Toruses + Biodomes

suddenly jumping from nowhere as you approach, but still nice.

Also Wayland had made a pack of lovely monstaz

Also, somebody made a huge D9 station mod.

Also on youtube there are videos about Katlantis Hotel

Spoiler

Probably these are the largest nice things possible in KSP.

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

There were Stanford Toruses + Biodomes

suddenly jumping from nowhere as you approach, but still nice.

Also Wayland had made a pack of lovely monstaz

Also, somebody made a huge D9 station mod.

Also on youtube there are videos about Katlantis Hotel

Reveal hidden contents

Probably these are the largest nice things possible in KSP.

Cool. I don't know what monsters have to do with this, but it's interesting to see those huge things.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.