Too lazy to play early game again...

Hey,

This is my first post on this forum. I have been here for a while and I didn't really have any question until now, so I haven't made an account.

I have many ideas for style of playing. Sometimes I like to play Realism Overhaul and some times stock and there are times when my game is really modded. This time, I am just too lazy to play early game. It would be so good if I could have a station in orbit around Kerbin and some satellites here and there. I was exploring this and other sites about KSP but I couldn't find any save file that meets my needs. There were some but they were either just from an old version or not really what I was looking for. And now what is my question? Is there any place where I can check out or even browse other people's saves? Maybe something like KerbalX. Or maybe some threads on this forum.

Thank you guys in advance!

Oh, I may have missed the forum section for this question. I am really sorry if I did.

Edited by Babylon

Hello, and welcome to the forums, @Babylon:)

I don't know off the top of my head of a place to browse other people's saves.  Spacecraft, yes (that's what KerbalX is for); not so much saves.  I hasten to add that that doesn't mean there isn't one, simply that I've never heard of one.  (Nor have I had occasion to go looking, so I'm not a useful canary, here.)

However, it may be that you can get a lot of what you need pretty straightforwardly, via the game's built-in Alt+F12 "cheat" menu; maybe this will be enough for you, depending on exactly what you want.

One of the features of the cheat menu is a "Set Orbit" button.  It lets you instantly put any craft into any desired orbit around any planet or moon that you like.

So... you say you don't want to go through the rigamarole of launching a space station and some satellites to start with?  Easy and quick:

1. Either design your station / satellite yourself in the VAB, or download one from KerbalX or somewhere.
    • Note that this is an especially quick and easy design job, because all you need is the station or satellite itself-- you don't need any booster stages or anything.  Just the payload.
  2. Launch it.
  3. It's now sitting helplessly on the launchpad.
  4. Open the Alt+F12 debug menu and find the "Set Orbit" tab.
  5. Tell it to put you in the desired orbit (e.g. "100 km circular orbit around Kerbin" or whatever you want).
  6. Presto!  It's now instantly in orbit.

I expect you could set up a scenario pretty quickly this way.

6 minutes ago, Spacetraindriver said:

Hmmm,so you don't want to play early career every update... Why not take your save from a previous one and put it into the new one?

Well I like adding many different mods and each save has something special about it (Realism Overhaul, x6.4 kerbin, many part mods etc.) and now I wanna try stock which I haven't done in a while. I don't think actually that I have ever built a stock station even.

I play Science mode, and what I did to avoid the early boredom/grind was to write a ModuleManager script that moved enough "stuff" down into the Start node to give me a head start.  (But I still have to buy nodes, so I don't have *too* much of a head start like I did when I used cheats to add science...  that was boring too.)

//   ======== Pods                   =======
@PART[probeCoreOcto]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Fuel Tanks             =======
@PART[fuelTank_long]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[fuelTank]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[fuelLine]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Engines                =======
@PART[liquidEngine3]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[liquidEngine]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[liquidEngine2]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Command and Control    =======
@PART[sasModule]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Coupling               =======
@PART[radialDecoupler]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[stackDecoupler]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Payload                =======
@PART[ServiceBay_125]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Aerodynamic            =======
@PART[noseCone]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[R8winglet]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Thermal                =======
@PART[HeatShield1]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Electrical            =======
@PART[solarPanels5]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[batteryBankMini]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Communication          =======
@PART[SurfAntenna]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

//   ======== Science                =======
@PART[sensorBarometer]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}
@PART[sensorThermometer]
{
    @TechRequired=start
}

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Can it be used in Career mode?

Sure!  It'll work in any KSP mode:  sandbox, science, career.

All you need to do is to create a file somewhere in the GameData folder, and paste that content into it.  Can be anywhere, either in GameData itself or in a sub-folder somewhere.  You can name the file anything you like; the only requirement is that it needs to end with the ".cfg" extension so that KSP knows to load it.

It'll work as long as you have ModuleManager installed.  If you're running any other mods at all, you probably have MM already there, since lots and lots of mods use it.  However, if you don't-- for example, if you're running an otherwise all-stock game-- you can just install ModuleManager by its lonesome in order to allow @DerekL1963's patch to work.

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

Thank you @DerekL1963 so much for that! I will definitely try integrating that somewhere! :)

Can it be used in Career mode?

Certainly!  The list is tailored to my tastes, but it's easily changed.  You can delete stuff (from the @PART to the next }), or to add parts cut 'n paste (from the @PART to the next }) and look up the part name by going to the list of parts on the KSP wiki, clicking through the part you want, and then clicking on the Part Configuration in the infobox on the right hand side of the page.  (The displayed name in the VAB/SPH is *not* the name the game uses 'under the hood'.)  Then put that name in the brackets ( [ ] ) after @PART.

11 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Certainly!  The list is tailored to my tastes, but it's easily changed.  You can delete stuff (from the @PART to the next }), or to add parts cut 'n paste (from the @PART to the next }) and look up the part name by going to the list of parts on the KSP wiki, clicking through the part you want, and then clicking on the Part Configuration in the infobox on the right hand side of the page.  (The displayed name in the VAB/SPH is *not* the name the game uses 'under the hood'.)  Then put that name in the brackets ( [ ] ) after @PART.

Thanks!

That will make my life easier! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.