How you "make" a Part

mixinghoney

Hey , i am wondering on how to make my own part , i did downloaded the SDK , but i didnt understood and i searched google , didnt found nothing , can anyone tell how to? or at least make a tutorial to show all people who want to make their own parts? Thanks :'(

Creating parts is a particularly involved process. There are several things needed to create a new part; I don't know about everything involved, but you will need some experience in 3d modeling, texturing, and some other things. I personally don't know how to do most of it, but I do know that it can take a while to build up the skills required. If you are interested in making parts, and you have the time (lots and lots of time), NovaSilisko and Sunday Punch are the creators of two of the most-used parts packs on the site. You might be able to get some advice, and maybe a starter, from one of them.

Sorry I can't help more, but I've never been much use. ::)

There's a lot of information on how to create parts on the wiki.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/~kerbalsp/wiki/index.php?title=Part_Modelling_Guidelines

The sdk is only really used to check that your part can be loaded into KSP. It gives you errors and allows you to check how your model will look in game. I'd suggest starting with the wiki first and seeing if that can answer your questions. Otherwise, I can point you to some reference material on the specific skills you need to make a part.

To make a complete model you need two things, both of which you can get for free. A 3d editing program such as blender to make the models and an image editing software to make textures such as gimp.

Best of luck

The Part modelling forum has extensive insights into the process from all modeling packages. Take a look there, a lot of the brain numbing confusion has been sorted out already. Also, the release forums are for completed packages by addon devs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.