whats name kerbal inspired by

tkw

5 hours ago, Archgeek said:

Actually, the rockets themselves were called Kerbals.  They were made using powder from unlit fireworks.  The little foil astronauts all had the surname "Kerman", and seemed to be questing to reach some place called "Allumminnia".

See the original "Kerbo Log": Man this link gets posted a lot around here.

But I clicked on this topic to post that!

*NINJA*

:D

Yeah, that log was the true origin of KSP. The day of launches ended with Felipe walking away thinking he might base a game off of it some day. In 2012 Moach, Felipe's brother, posted the Kerbo Log to the forum. Felipe replied confirming the legitimacy of the log and stating that he didn't know it still existed.

It must have been an interesting launch day, all of those failures... almost reminds me of my recent endeavors in rocketry.

Spoiler

My last 7 launches:

1. X-1 test flight (0:46 of https://youtu.be/0zS_AWOb3JY?t=46) turned 180+ degrees and flew for about one second.

2. OLYMPIAN E (0:50 ish of the same video) Engine exploded. Shock cord mount burned through.

3. Red Beacon Mission 5 (Not uploaded yet) Flew for about five seconds, arced 180 degrees into the ground going right over my head. Ejection charge deployed a tenth of a second later, further bending the payload section. Plus, neither the onboard camera, ground camera 2, or the altimeter worked.

4. Alpha Streamer Fast Turnaround #1 - Perfect A engine flight. First in a test of how quickly I could relaunch a rocket.

5. Alpha Streamer Fast Turnaround #2 - C engine. Shock cord broke, some of the payload spilled out. But, hey! I got the turnaround down to 1:39! So, it wasn't a complete loss!

6. Alpha Mission 2 - B engine. Somehow managed to work, but drifted very far.

7. OLYMPIAN E2 - After I repaired the OLYMPIAN from the first failure, I launched it with another E engine (me second ever). It exploded and re-detached the shock cord (again!) and the backup shock cord I had added (SRSLY?!?!?) as well as ripping the parachute (GRR!) and the altimeter did not work (I think this qualifies as my worst mission ever). I'm going to ask for a refund on those engines and static fire the third one.

2/7 = 28%. Kerbo log = 8%. I still have a ways to go before I hit Kerbal levels. :D

13 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

But I clicked on this topic to post that!

*NINJA*

:D

Yeah, that log was the true origin of KSP. The day of launches ended with Felipe walking away thinking he might base a game off of it some day. In 2012 Moach, Felipe's brother, posted the Kerbo Log to the forum. Felipe replied confirming the legitimacy of the log and stating that he didn't know it still existed.

It must have been an interesting launch day, all of those failures... almost reminds me of my recent endeavors in rocketry.

[...Tales of Model Rocketry Woe...]

HehEhEHe, that's the thing with xenon, long burn times, but you get there faster.  :sticktongue:

I can see that the first launch pad was an Estes model, before it caught fire; I wonder if they were using igniters and the little electric remote launch button.  I've got one old enough that it uses a metal key and an incandescent light bulb for an arming light.

Hmm, C engines breaking stuff.  Estes again?  I've an Alpha III and a half and a Code Red rocket from back in the day, and never once did I have a C launch that didn't in some way damage the craft.  First C launch on my first Alpha III snapped the shock cord and detached the whole recovery module, leaving the rocket to plummet to earth and the nose to float off to parts unknown.  The Code Red was a tougher design, but the first C launch still partially melted the plastic screw-on cap they used for holding the engine in (instead of that metal clip on the Alpha III), and the second, in spite of double wadding, ripped three of the lines out of the chute.  Moral of the story: Cs break stuff, Bs might stand for "Best".  :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.