We were in space with too much mods, and little by little we went insane?

Jestersage

Okay... I finally gone ahead to download Hyperedit, and actually used it to land a debris... and this is where I am starting to worry.

I first start with KER. Then StageRecovery. Then KVV. Then I just got Trajectory yesterday, and just now I installed HyperEdit. Yet all the time I keep calling this a stock game, except my definition is that "My saves and shareables can be play in stock".

So for fellow mod users, when do you realized that you had gone too far from stock? And when you do, do you decide to say "F this" and go all the way and install some exotic mods (eg KSPI) or decide to scale back?

Edited by Jestersage

I think it was when I installed the fist parts pack (Buffalo) for 1.1.3. I have always used a few mods, informational and quality of life, but I wanted some better alternatives for rovers with a proper IVA. And a proper IVA crew cabin (MOLE). And then finally KIS/KAS, which meant no turning back. Now my space program and playstyle is crucially dependent upon a handful of mods (KAS/KIS, MOLE, RPM, Universal Storage, Surface Experiment Pack, ScanSat, TAC-LS), and I have about 35 installed. I feel that mods add a new level to an already brilliant game.

Well, that's how much you want to cheat. 
For me, I like my game as realistic as possible. So since the stock game has not much of a challenge for me left, I play 99% on my RSS/RO/RP-0 install. The only mods I've installed, make my game more realistic. 

Am I far from stock? Hell yeah. Basically, and I think more RSS/RO players can confirm; I use KSP for the game, engine and partly the mechanics. The rest is all modded. I don't use the stock system, stock parts etc.

And that's, at least what I think, the true power of KSP. You can mod it completely to your own liking. The strong learning curve you have in the beginning, when you think you managed everything, is really a start of the learning curve when you begin a full RSS/RO game. And the more you learn, the more interests you get in the game and the more addictive it gets. Resulting in more modding :) 

But for now I have my set-up ready, I'm not going to install any other mod (yet). In my experience is installing a whole bunch of mods during a save-game, asking for kraken related problems and bugs.   

My personal "gone too far from stock" experience came when I tried out Realism Overhaul.

It's not that the involved mods are bad or anything. I just didn't enjoy myself as much as I did at other times, because too much complexity got in the way of fun. Guess that maximum realism isn't a thing I am personally interested in? :P

Doesn't keep me from going as far as downloading a modded tech tree, then rewriting that by hand to create a custom parts progression I designed in my own spreadsheet... (help me I have a problem)

Haha yep, realism overhaul has a strong learning curve in the beginning. But when you get used to it, it can be a lot of fun. Downside ofcourse is that in one session you normally don't launch like ten rockets to the other side of the solar system. But I do really like the more realistic way of launching and flying the crafts. 

All the calculations are made by mods, so for me, I only need to adjust variables when things seem to go wrong. It's not that 90% of playing is calculating stuff.

2 hours ago, Mikki said:

I went crazy sending all my Kerbals to Duna. 51 Kerbals in my modded careergame, and i really feel nuts somehow now.
For people who like to witness my modded madness... shameless plug here...

I wonder if Elon Musk will have the same remorse after he starts shipping colonists 100 at a time?

• 1 month later...

I didn't go full RSS, but I'm now experimenting with a rescale mod and other kopernicus changes...

Kerbin being 3,600km in diameter changes the game quite a bit... Just getting to Mun now is a major endeavor. >5,000 m/s needed to reach orbit, ,1650m/s to transfer to Mun, 300 m/s to capture, 1,000 m/s to land ...

My personal moment for "it is not stock any more " was as i installed a VanillaKSP subdirectory on my PC. It was thus moment as i seen i need a spezial version of basis game to have all my mods usable.:blush:

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

In a weird way, I often feel like I haven't modded it enough.  I try to make the game as realistic as possible, while still being enjoyable, and still faithful as possible to stock.  Whenever I've had to start a new career save, I've always added something that brings up realism a notch, because not having it feels like the game is missing something.  For example, my first career mode was pretty standard stock (just science points though, it was before funds).  I added somethings like fairings (even though they did nothing in early KSP), FF, and of course MechJeb, but not too much in terms of gameplay.  But when my second career save started I added TAC life support, because having Kerbals that can float around in space for all eternity feels like such a cheat, that in a messed up way I didn't feel like I was playing true KSP without it.  On my third KSP career save, I added KCT, because just being able to build a giant rocket instantly was feeling like cheating.

So now, I've gotten to a point where playing vanilla KSP somehow no longer feels like actually playing the game, and that I'm cheating without mods.  Like whenever I see somebody do something like "Stock SSTO to Laythe".   I can't help but think "Oh that doesn't count, he's playing stock."

Well, in my early days with mods, I was impressed by the old Interstellar, and very curious to try it out. Then I saw the Astronomer's Visual Pack, with all the clouds and lights, so why not?

Then I realized that something like KER or MechJeb was needed for useful readings. Then, oh, what beautiful those spaceplane parts from B9 are. What beautiful engines KW Rocketry has, how awesome FAR is.

In a few weeks from the first mod installed, I had KSP crashes every few minutes due to the enourmous amount of mods installed, but I have no regrets. KSP is great, but the mods makes me continue to play year after year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.