Using SPH subassembly in VAB

I'm working on a Munar base consisting of modules built in the SPH to be assembled in Munar orbit and then landed all together.  When I try to attach the subassembly to the SLS in the VAB I'm not able to connect to the docking port assigned for this purpose.  It will only connect perpendicular to the Hub Max in the center of the module which forms a T with the launcher.  This is not ideal.

I feel like this has got something to do with the command module orientation of the base module being perpendicular to the launcher.  The SLS uses a remote guidance unit, and the base module will be unmanned. The only connection point available is so that the base command module (cupola) is in the "up" position.

I think I'm missing something obvious, but cant quiet put my finger on it.

Example

The VAB is trying to connect the root part of each module together. That's why it turns sideways. Just change the root part of each module you want to connect. In the VAB, the little buttons at the top for Move, Place, Rotate, Root. Hit the root button and choose the docking port as the new root part. Do it on each module, save them, then try to merge them again. They'll connect nicely at the docking ports.

9 hours ago, Cubfan said:

The VAB is trying to connect the root part of each module together. That's why it turns sideways. Just change the root part of each module you want to connect. In the VAB, the little buttons at the top for Move, Place, Rotate, Root. Hit the root button and choose the docking port as the new root part. Do it on each module, save them, then try to merge them again. They'll connect nicely at the docking ports.

Perfect, I knew it was something dumb. That did the trick.

I'll try the SPH method if assembling, in this case the rocket is already built, just had to mate the two parts.

I was ultimately successful (after a few stabs at F9).  Three modules assembled in Munar orbit, and then de-orbited as one unit into a crater.  Not bad for my first base.  One small issue though, something is draining power at night, so its runs out of juice.  I've turned everything off, but I cant figure it out.  However in true Kerbal fashion, I'm launching a mission to bring moar batteries.

1 hour ago, Kerberos42 said:

I was ultimately successful (after a few stabs at F9).  Three modules assembled in Munar orbit, and then de-orbited as one unit into a crater.  Not bad for my first base.

Nicely done. You never forget your first base.

I really like the SPH for building rovers. It's already horizontal, and you can lower it to the ground to make sure your wheels are actually level (I've messed that up a couple of times). Then just attach them to your rocket in the VAB with the root button.

As for power, fuel cells are always a great idea. As long as you're drilling (and I'm sure you are), they create more juice than they burn in fuel. So you'll get a surplus out of them. Just depends how much you need. And maybe attach 'em to an action group so you can turn them on and off easily whenever needed.

9 hours ago, Cubfan said:

Nicely done. You never forget your first base.

I really like the SPH for building rovers. It's already horizontal, and you can lower it to the ground to make sure your wheels are actually level (I've messed that up a couple of times). Then just attach them to your rocket in the VAB with the root button.

As for power, fuel cells are always a great idea. As long as you're drilling (and I'm sure you are), they create more juice than they burn in fuel. So you'll get a surplus out of them. Just depends how much you need. And maybe attach 'em to an action group so you can turn them on and off easily whenever needed.

Thanks I'll look into the drilling.  I did throw a drill on the base just to make it look more "munar basy" without really knowing what its for. This is the first time I've really spent any time on a surface, I've always done orbital flights.  I did find out what was draining power, I never realized that the heat radiators consume power, which I suppose makes sense.

Just touching down

Night time before power loss

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.